Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1935 Dodge 2nd series pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pkhammer, Feb 6, 2020.

1. pkhammer

pkhammer

I have a always had a serious hankering for pickups and the '33 thru '35 Dodges are right at the top of my favorites list. I just bought this 1935 2nd series from a gentleman who took it completely apart with the intention to restore it. I'm interested in learning a little about what I have and the changes Dodge was making at the time.
    It has front hinged doors
    It has a solid cab roof
    It has the '36 style 3 gauge dash
    The oddest thing is the front fenders DO NOT have the scallops or bead at the leading edge. Did some of these trucks have a smooth front fender?
    The old gal is pretty solid. Unfortunately there is no title so I'm thinking I might just use it for parts. 102_2747.JPG 102_2748.JPG 102_2749.JPG

2. dwollam

dwollam

Second series '35 has the same cab as the '36. In '37 the cab changed again with the most notable difference being the curved top of the windshield, although the doors are the same late '35 - '38. '37 and '38 got a notched firewall so they could use the longer 25" vs 23" engines.

Dave

3. pkhammer

pkhammer

Looks like the hood and grille shell are same as '33-'34 though. Anybody have picks of '35 Dodge pickups?

4. scotts52

scotts52

From what I've read, the 35 cab is basically the same as the 33-34 . The difference between the 34 is the solid roof and the traditionally hung doors. 33 a pillars are not as slanted back as the 34-35 but everything else is basically the same.

5. I bought this pickup about 25 years ago as a 1st series '35. At least that
    s what I was told. No title to fall back on for info. scan0011.jpg

6. Bill Flitcraft

Bill Flitcraft

I beg you not to part out that truck! It is very cool the way it sits. The doors are awesome and the look a lot of folks are going for, and your's look original. There are ways to get a title for it. I just bought a 1936 Dodge pickup without a title but I was able to get one legally. You will need the serial number. On my '36 it is stamped on the frame on the driver side up front near the wheel slightly behind the hanger for the leaf spring. I had to use sand paper to bring out the numbers but eventually I got it. Once you get the serial number you can go on line to "t137.com/registry/help/decode" to get a bit of info. That web site will give you some info about the model of your truck.
    My truck is a Dodge model LC body on a Ford Ranger frame now. It has a 305 Chevy small block in it and a corvette front suspension. A real Frankenstein. All that was done before I bought it. My front fenders do have the scallop ridge on them. I also have the three hole dash for gages which are not in it. Good luck with it.

7. Bill Flitcraft

Bill Flitcraft

Rocky, Wow another great looking truck. Would it be possible for you to post some close up pics of your windshield? Interior and exterior. Mine does not have any hinges or levers on it for the swing out feature. When I got it the windshield was calked in. I would love to be able to fabricate something like the original for the swing out. Thanks.

8. pkhammer

pkhammer

Rocky, I think the '35 first series would have suicide doors and a hole in the roof. Yours looks like mine except yours has the scallops on the front fenders and mine does not. At least not on the fenders that came with it.