Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Is it a 48 Ford?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by oldskool/oldtool, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Thank you. I do know where a 37 trans is for sale. I'll save the trans I have for another day
    Sent from my SM-S327VL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love those cars with '46-'48 Oldsmobile grilles. I had a friend with a '47 convertible with one, and it was tits!

3. Thanks for everyone's input.
    1. Paperwork

2. Definite plan! Can only be cheaper doing everything once.
    Second guessing engine/trans combo now.
    3. Acquire parts.
    I jumped the gun a bit!
    If admin would like to take down or move this post that is fine.
    Thanks again for your input.

4. Torchie

Torchie

If you have a F1- 3 speed floor shift trans you can do what I did on my custom truck. I converted it to a closed torque tube trans. When I called Mac Van Pelt to talk with him about it he laughed and said'You doing the opposite of most people. I like it." If you convert the banjo to an open drive line you will have to do something for the rear wishbone.
    I ran an Olds Rocket in mine and got the adapter from Wildwood. They still make them and they make one that will adapt that Caddy to the stock Ford trans.
    Torchie

5. Your acquisition brings back many memories. My first hot rod was a 47 business coupe that I bought for $5 bucks. Had a 50 Olds 303 with a 39 trans, all junk yard parts from wrecks back in the day ('62). Love your car, that Caddy needs to be run and would be perfect for your ride imho. Keep posting. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. I have an open drive banjo rear you can have. PM me .
    Terry aka dirt t

7. 26Troadster

26Troadster

as for the title. what state are you in? some states didn't have titles for years and other states drop the title after the car/truck is 25 years old.

8. silent rick

silent rick

looks long for a ford, sure it's not a merc?

9. I would describe " my state " as confusion. Pretty normal, maybe more so right now though. LOL
    Car is in California. Will be trying to title in Texas. I'll look into both states for the less painful and cheapest way.

10. No, at this point I am not! Two people commented on the grill opening looking like a merc. Torchie and you both say it looks long; like a merc. Thought at first maybe the grill was playing tricks with the eye. I will definitely check the wheel base when I get back.
    On another note. I can pu a 34 truck transmission with banjo,split bones and torque tube for $400. Not sure if that will work or if the price is right.

11. silent rick

silent rick

on second thought, i guess it is a ford. mercury front fenders are longer. it seems like the 4 inches were added behind the front wheel.

12. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

How are you supposed to fill your garage too full to work on your project if you don't acquire too many parts right off the bat!?! :eek::p:D

chryslerfan55 and ClarkH like this.
  13. Arizona has a bonded title set up when there is no title. Kinda spendy , but not difficult to obtain.

14. Not to steer of the subject or to highjack but how is an Arizona salvage title for a 47?
    Still good?

15. Has no title in Arizona it would require a bonded title

16. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Texas is a bonded title state also

17. Torchie

Torchie

The 34 rear end will be way too narrow.(If it's a complete rear end.) Plus no hydraulic barkes.The trans you would want is either a stock46- 48 Ford car side shift.(3 on the tree). or a 1939 Ford 3 on the floor car trans.The 34 has no synchros and I don't know how it would hold up to the V-8. The light duty F series trans that I mentioned(Mine was a 1949) is a thee speed ,Floor shift. It has the same case as the more $$$ and more sought after 39 Floor shift 3 speed.
    I was going to keep mine with a 3 on the tree but due to channelling the body the column shifter would hit my knee dropping it into 3rd.LOL
    There are lots of ways you can go and still keep it traditional.
    Torchie

18. 48fordor

48fordor
    from York, PA

My '48 Fordor does not have tube shocks. Relatively low s/n, H series 6 cyl Super Deluxe.

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Good custom 46/48 Ford, most of the hard work is done , drop it, put some Box Skirts and 50 Lincoln taillights and a grill in the 50 Merc shell, 54 Pontiac grill, on it primer it drop in your Cad and go ride all around, well put windwings on it the rest can wait til later. 46 and 47 had parking lights in the top of the fenders over the grill, 48 had them under the headlights look for where the welds are, under the headlights it's a 48, at least the front fenders are.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  20. Got a partner in crime. Just a few of the deals we couldnt pass up. Last pic is the "Rusty" Cadillac. Very little rust. Looks to be complete. Most folks might buy a car for the engine... I bought an engine and gotta car. And there's more. Cars are pre 1970's received_457528641824070.jpeg received_620851735354900.jpeg received_620887088674628.jpeg received_531081210812272.jpeg

21. I'll look into that.

22. What you described sums up perfectly what I would like to do. Right in keeping with my knowledge and abilities. Or lack there of.
    I have been looking at the Mopar floating bar grills. I'll have to keep my eyes and see what comes up 1st.

23. Windfield sells straight grill bars and 1950 Plymouth picts
    [​IMG]

Windfield grill in my 51 Merc

[​IMG]

Kodak Jack and chryslerfan55 like this.