Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What is this 1941 Ford Biz Coupe Worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chstitans42, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Budget36

Budget36

I'm dumbfounded by some of the replies here.

OP, if you like it (I do) and you want it, buy it and have fun with it.

I wonder if those that think it's scrap have even perused Jim Sibley's recent thread.

Maybe they have and said to themselves "Ooo, ouch, that's a lot of work...I mean look at all that welding...."

32SEDAN, clem, R A Wrench and 4 others like this.
  2. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

He only needs one buyer

patmanta likes this.
  3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I’m with Don, I’d top out around $1000. If you decide not to do anything with it, it would be an easy sell to a no title state like AL or GA.

4. A lot of the people who think its scrap probably live in an area where they are easy to find in solid condition. This one doesn't look that bad to me. I am used to seeing them a lot rustier than that. It definitely has value.

5. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you want to buy it with thoughts of a personal project...DON'T do it...just run away. Your time labor and parts will probably be 3 times the car's final value

If you want to buy it to "save" from the scrapper, buy it cheap ($500 or less) and pass it along to it's next owner.

This is how them "pass it along" cars work. It gets sold to a guy who puts some time, work and parts into the car, gets bored/frustrated and sells it. He makes his money back and a little profit, but his time and labor was basically free. The next owner does about the same thing, puts some time, work and parts into the car, gets bored/frustrated and sells it. He makes his money back and a little profit, but his time and labor also was free....you get the point.
    This happens 3 or 4 times and eventually the car may end up a decent project for someone at a reasonable cost...because most of the labor was FREE and not "shop rate" labor.
    As long s the previous work was done reasonably well, THAT'S when you want to buy the car.

6. Texas field car. It is what it is. It's not a '40, nor is it a '39. Looks like it used to have a tarp duct taped over it at some point. Just a shell, for quite a while, evidently.

What's up with the title ? Just lost ? Cost ya' a little for a title search .. $35 or so depending. If able to be titled you'd then .. still have to buy it.

Without making a huge list of what it doesn't have, or would need .. parts cars usually have parts. I don't even think that applies.

There's some pretty badass '41's in the classifieds here. Turnkey. Teens to $20k. If building to their means .. this one will cost ya' more than those. What's good on it ?

There's a very clean '41 Studebaker on Dallas Craigslist that could be had for closer to $5k. Also a '41 Ford truck for $3k or lower. '56 2 dr hardtop Bel Air for less than $4k .. in Red Oak.

I'm in the $500 boat too.

To even get that car titled, you'd have to get it "green sheeted" .. pay inspection fee to just have the VIN verified. No inspection sticker. So by the time you get it title searched, & green sheeted .. $70. That's not even counting the two tows required to get it home. Field to inspection. Inspection to home.

7. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"The owner is willing to sell, but wont give an initial asking price".

I never make the first move when buying. I insist that since they're selling it, they start off the pricing.

Having said that, I'm at $500 or no more than it's parts. You could offer $500, but chances are he may say he won't take less than 2k and the movie is over. You're far better off buying said car in a more complete/titled form for 3-5k as a starting point for a project.

If you follow the titling process described by Kid Campbell, I'd assume that if they can't verify the VIN you're SOL for a title. In CA as I understand it, you surrender the vehicle.

Hnstray, ClarkH and jim snow like this.
  8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Sounds cynical or I would take it as such..

Squablow likes this.
  9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

My thoughts too. So many are worried about if your ambition fades, you don't finish and you sell at a loss. So what? Every cigarette [$$ up in smoke literally], beer, movies, are too. And tattoos, clothes, coffee, etc, etc. Point being is a car supposed to make money; I mean is it written some wheres in the book?

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

So a person should get paid for building his own car, shouldn't do it unless you make money when you sell it? Funny..

X-cpe, 1stGrumpy and Hombre like this.
  11. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I have a soft spot in my heart for these. At the risk of being considered sacrilegious, prefer them to 40s. My first car and third car were '41s, one business coupe and one opera coupe. Each in absolutely mint condition, bought from the proverbial "little old ladies", for 100 bucks a piece! (Well, yes, that was 65 years ago.)

There was one on s-l400 (6).jpg eBay a couple of weeks ago (picture attached) that appeared to be in top notch condition, sold for $9400, which I think was a far better deal than getting this one free. I have no idea, but wouldn't all new glass be over $1000? And maybe the same for a decent 3-piece grille?

On the other hand, if the external sheet metal and frame is decent, I'd be happy to pay $1000 for a "gasser" project (but I'd start around $400).

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Not trying to be a smarty pants but, ask
    the seller what he would be willing to pay for it as it sits.

If you don't have the time, skills, materials and lots of money needed to rebuild a car like that 41, you will end up paying tons of money for a professional to do the work.
    Even then, you have to know where and when to draw the line.
    In this case, draw the line when you first see it and don't cross it.

Restoring a car in that condition (time, materials, parts and paint and upholstering plus chrome plating) could easily cost $100,000 unless the labor is free.
    Restoring an old car "for the love of it" is fine until the money runs out.
    Each person is different with different "thrills and spills" of satisfaction. That's fine.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    hotrodjack33 and patmanta like this.
  13. With the title laws in South Carolina I would pass even if it was 500 bucks. HRP

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. I think you're the cynic, I meant that comment with all sincerity.

15. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny ? I think not. The point is, none of us really get paid for our labor...that's why it's a hobby. But in this condition, the car is a labor intensive reclamation project, blasting ,floors, patches, hunting/buying parts etc. all BEFORE it becomes even a "builder". And most of us don't have unlimited funds to just piss away:(

Should it be saved? Absolutely ! But it should be a "pass it along" car

And NO, you shouldn't build a car that you know is a bad investment when finished. It will not be a fun build. It will frustrate you and make your wife want to stab you.:mad:

Yep, it's written in the book of life...make smart investments and you should be OK. Make too many bad ones, and you end up living in a refrigerator box on the river bank:(

16. I was young and dumb and paid $1500 for this sedan with no title. I paid way too much for it, but built it on a budget and sold it 3 years ago and made money. And, it's not a sin to make money on a project. It's a much easier sell to the wife if there is some financial benefit involved. Back to the subject at hand, it was a 40, so it was safer to overpay than a 41.
    40 trailer.jpg 40var.jpg

17. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Are you buying it to have fun or to flip? If you're buying it to have fun, buy it and have fun. Fun is the only reason I participate in this hobby of ours.

18. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

To be clear, I am not saying this car should be scrapped at all. I think it should be saved! But I say starting around $500 is a good spot. I would personally not be in it too much past $1k though (but that's just me, my budget, and preference for a 41 fordoor). Even without papers, there is a good car there with good parts. I see nice panels, window garnish, grille, lights, doors, axle, steering, rear, wheels, etc.

And I tend to think offering at least double scrap price no matter what is the best policy. That way it's always going to be at least a little more appealing to a seller than loading whatever it is on a trailer and driving it to the yard or letting scrappers on their land.

Pay as much as it takes (within reason) if you really want it.

Hnstray, seb fontana and Squablow like this.
  19. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Around 20 years ago I picked up a 41 business coupe, good current Colorado title, less rust than this one, complete car. V-8, not running. Needed a total build. Paid $900 for it. Sold it to the owner of Classical Gas, (old car dealer) for $1700. He had it priced for $2900 & it sat there for a few months. This one looks to be a good builder or a great parts car.

20. Hombre

Hombre

This type thread always take this weird turn, some guys wouldn't have this car if you paid them. Others see the value in an old hunk like this one. No one is going to convince any guy setting on the either side of the fence from themselves, that s cool the man wasn't looking for anyone to take sides he was simply asking what we all as a group think this car is worth. That question has now been asked and answered by both sides of this car deal.

It always amazes me that folks feel the need to come out of every deal as a money winner. Another words if you cannot make money on the deal why bother? That is actually a pretty deep question if you give it some thought. While I am only qualified to speak to my own opinion I see value in these old cars waaaaaay beyond the money. For those that don't see it that way, that's cool as well.

Sometimes I like to do some things just because it feels good to me. I don't even consider the money side of it. I also am retired and these old cars are my hobby. Now if I had less say taken up golf. Should I expect to gain financially every time I go to play golf? I mean I have a retired Marine Corps buddy that does play golf, I often wish I had the concession just on his golf expenses. He regularly fly's to different golf courses around the country to play. He and I have spoken often about this, and after listening to him speak to playing golf and the pure enjoyment he gets from that sometimes you cannot put a monetary value on something that will never ever show you a return on the money you spent on it.

Listen some folks are keeping score with damn near everything, monetary score. If that is what blows your skirt up so be it. If on the other hand you can see value, not connected to money, then to me you are much better off, but as I said that is just my opinion.

So to the OP the car is worth what you are willing to pay for it. For many of us on the HAMB that is where the real fun begins, no matter how much the damn thing costs.

21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

R A Wrench. You did good. I paid attention to the key words:
    good title - a must have
    complete car - meaning all parts are there
    less rust - a real labor money saver
    needed total rebuild - assume you did work yourself
    20 years ago - 41 Fords were more in demand
    Sadly, time and the markets have changed. How old you are when you
    undertake a BIG project also matters as time may not be on your side.
    Time is off the essence.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  22. Squablow

Squablow

I gave my nephew a coloring book for his birthday. Got it real cheap at a rummage sale because it was all colored in already. I explained to him how much time it would save him from having to do it himself, not to mention the cost of crayons. I know it was real good advice even though he didn't like it and started crying.

Nobody buys a jigsaw puzzle because it's a cheaper way to get a picture of a barn.

23. The best advice I ever got was to buy the best example of the car you want that you can afford. I have however like many others ignored that and paid in the long run. A cheap basket case can be the most expensive car you can purchase.

And when it comes to the seller refusing to name a price I once heard a guy trying to make a deal tell someone "I can't be the buyer and the seller. Lol

24. 19Fordy

19Fordy

"I can't be the buyer and the seller."
    Great advice.

bchctybob and Chavezk21 like this.
  25. Me too, Duncan!

I have said this before but I'll say it again, if your first thought is how much can I sell it for, you're in the wrong group and you need to find other interests! My 2 cents.....

26. clem

clem

Cracked me up !
    Best post on this thread so far, possibly on the Hamb today, although I am afraid it might go over a few heads.............

.........and for what it’s worth, I thought that the ebay one was the better buy......
    When you look at parts collecting, rust and panel repairs etc.

27. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Reading all these responses, I’m seeing three valuations in play:
    1. “Market” value
    2. What it’s worth to you
    3. How much a guy should initially offer to a dude that won’t price his own shit

If you love the car, 2 and 3 are what matter. If it’s just a flip, 1 and 3.

patmanta, clem and Squablow like this.
  28. belair

belair

Whatever you pay will be peanuts compared to what it will take to get it on its feet. You can spend some more money and get a whole lot more car, and spend less time money to fix it.

INVISIBLEKID and hotrodjack33 like this.
  29. williebill

williebill

OR..... You could buy it really cheap, then find a dirt cheap fordor as a parts car, chop the coupe, and build it as a taildragger, the 41 being one of the smoothest, coolest choices for that kind of custom.
    Got the time, got the space, got the energy? Hell with resale, go look up some of the pure sex 41's that have been built before. Then get to cutting...

30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Probably start a shitstorm, but that's the very reason I hate titles. And to think a state can actually forcibly take from you something you bought with your money is government overreach no matter how you look at it. Shit like that just makes my blood boil. I'm so glad it's not that way here.

alanp561, bchctybob, Texas57 and 3 others like this.