Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Electric windows

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deanp72, Feb 7, 2020.

1. deanp72

deanp72

Anyone install electric windows in 1927 Ford coupe? Do I have to cut the doors open? Any recommendations on what kits are the best? Deans 1927 Coupe.png

2. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

Electric windows??. Man you are on the wrong forum :D

Hombre, Cosmo49, Bandit Billy and 2 others like this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I moved this to the main board. The traditional hot rod forum is no place for a discussion on power windows.....

4. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

are we really that picky?

5. birdman1

birdman1

poor guy, just aske a simple question and the old bags are after him LOL

klleetrucking likes this.
  6. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Here we go.....another discussion as to whats traditional.......:rolleyes:

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  7. vickckik

vickckik

Power windows were available in Packard, Ford and GM cars in 1941.

fordflambe and ffr1222k like this.
  8. I believe they were originally vacuum assist. HRP

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  9. goldmountain

goldmountain

Worked on an old Buick. They were hydraulic. Spring pulled the window up, pulled down by the hydraulic piston.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

11. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never saw the need for electric windows. Helped Neighbor install some in a 56 and a 57 Nomad-work OK but he has had issues with them over the years-no problems with the manual windows on my 40 or wife's 55.

12. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I agree that PWs aren't traditional or period correct, but in some cases they are the most cost effective. Especially when the original is missing and replacements are made of unobtanium and just can't be found.
    There's a company located in Forsyth, GA that will do custom installations in just about anything with windows, and from what I hear from others, their prices are quite reasonable.
    I suspect this is sorta the same all over the country for oddball or rare vehicles.

13. It ain't that hard to lean over and roll the windows up or down in the early cars. HRP

14. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Love the power windows in my 40 and my 53.

fordflambe likes this.
  15. goldmountain

goldmountain

I used Jeep Cherokee manual window regulators in my T coupe. If you want electric, look for something that is very thin. There really isn't much room inside that door. On John Buttera's T sedan from about 1974, he adapted 70's era GM window motors directly onto the T regulators and made a fancy arm rest to hide the bulge that was needed. IMG_1107.JPG

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  16. Long before the Hamb I had a 39 Ford convertible and it was missing the necessary window regulators and I purchased the specialty electric ones from the place in Georgia, I also used the remote key fob switch to remotely roll the windows up and down.

I loved to screw with people looking in the car, I would hit the remote and make them jump, he problem with constantly making people jump was I slap wore the power window motor out on the drivers side, I later adapted a couple of original 40 Ford sedan regulators in the power ones place and never looked back. HRP

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  17. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Hope I'm right. Is that California property?

18. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Danny, something like those '39&'40 Fords, stuff is available pretty easily compared to something like a '36 Plymouth sedan delivery and such.
    And that's the "unobtanium" I was writing about.

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I put a set of the Specialty Power units in my my 66 Suburban, a well designed product.

K13 likes this.
  20. Is putting power windows in a model T a custom trick? Seems a little on the elegant side for a sweet hot rod

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  21. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

There is really no room in the 26-27T door for electric windows. Anything electrical would have to be external and require some kind of bump out. Doors are only about 3" thick with glass running down the middle only leaves about 1-1/2" for motor.

22. Gman0046

Gman0046

One thing about power windows is you Will have problems some where down the road. Drivers window always the first as its used thee most. Been there done that with power windows and will never do it again. I've come to realize power windows is the last thing I need. On my 60 Pontiac I've never had to remove the door panel since the car was built. Can't say that about the last power windows I installed on my 63 Chevy 2 door post car.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    olscrounger likes this.
  23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

And you can find window mechanisms for a '60 Pountiac or other GM equivalent in junk yards in almost any county that has yards. Or you can order new ones from any number of sources.

24. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

My Olds came from the factory with power windows. They were hydraulic, as well as the seat and top. Had what looked like a starter motor running a pump on the firewall. When I built the car I used Speciality Power Windows kit for the doors and electric linear actuators for the quarter windows

25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have Specialty PW in my 34, great product, easy to install and adjust, quiet and fast too. Do I really need them? No. I just have trouble knowing where to stop myself when building a car...or truck it turns out. :cool:

firstinsteele and dirty old man like this.
  26. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I have had the Electric Life power setup in my 53 F100 for 20+ years with not one problem. The Nu Relics in my 40 have been there probably twelve years with not one problem. Of course I probably just caused the first one by making that statement.

DIYGUY likes this.
  27. BJR

BJR

28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hif#@kinglarious!

29. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

That might traditional . In some countries.

30. Jesus wept..... the guy asked for recommendations on kits, he DIDN'T ask for bullshit opinions.

OLDSMAN and firstinsteele like this.