Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Current TJ Upholstery Information

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by klawockvet, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A number of years ago my mom went down to Ensenada with her then boyfriend who had his first gen Mustang redone. Price was good and the town wasn't like the border towns but she still fusses about getting sick because she forgot and rinsed her mouth out with tap water when she brushed her teeth.
    Still my daughter's boyfriend has a lot of family down there and he flat says don't go down there. Some of my friends here who go back and forth a lot to see family down there say that it isn't safe now and a several of them have quit going back or fly to the cities they are going to rather than drive like they used to.

loudbang likes this.
  2. You got a roadster... how much upholstery do you need? Not worth jumping over the border without having an in. I was in Cancun in 2009 and back then we were warned to stay on the hotel strip and the LAST bus runs at 11 PM... be on it.

loudbang and uncle buck like this.
  3. Do Americans go there and open American restaurants?

chargin03, TagMan, uncle buck and 2 others like this.
  4. GuyW

GuyW

All the old TJ tourist stuff is gone. Revolution Ave tourist shops? gone. Auto related businesses pretty much just service locals.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Don't tell me the Blue Fox is gone ????

lurker mick likes this.
  6. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I think some members are overreacting. My main caution is don't leave you car unattended on the streets for any length of time. Get your appointment. Drop it off to a reputable business there and stay close if possible.

Jay71, klawockvet and Special Ed like this.
  7. SI, es grande panocha, apestosa

INVISIBLEKID and 427 sleeper like this.
  8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

and the “Long Bar”.....

da34guy and lumpy 63 like this.
  9. No bueno por nada. :oops: :eek:

INVISIBLEKID and 427 sleeper like this.
  10. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I think you mean Chicago

11. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Actually it’s a little further south....St. Louis.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I heard it was Caracas Venezuela.

13. jaracer

jaracer

I was told that in the old days the TJ shops used cheap cotton thread. The stitches would come out in year or so. The trick was to take some good nylon thread with you and have them use it.

51 mercules likes this.
  14. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I haven't been to Mexico for a few years now, but the last time I was there Foam was easier to come by than Horse shit . Think about it fellas what kind of mess would it make trying to do tuck and roll with horse shit . To save all those huge foam rubber bills. Get real.

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

flatheadpete likes this.
  16. Special Ed

Special Ed

90,000 people cross into and out of Tijuana, Mexico and San Ysidro, California EVERY SINGLE DAY. It is the busiest border crossing anywhere in the world. Thousands of American citizens cross it every day of the week to take advantage of affordable dentistry, medical care, and most importantly, inexpensive prescription drugs, without incident.
    Take your passport with you, follow their traffic laws, and disregard the naysayers on here that haven't ever been within a thousand miles of Tijuana. Your local Walmart is probably more dangerous to visit. You'll be just fine.

axle, Jay71, 18n57 and 7 others like this.
  17. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I remember on the old Hamb there was a thread were a member went over there and got an upholstery job, showed where to go and dispelled many of these rumors folks are speaking about. Of course the drug cartels have gotten way more extreme since then. I think the "horseshit" myth comes from people using the less expensive Urine cured leather.

Edit: I just noticed the link above for the thread I was referring.

18. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Klaw, you are about 50 years too late, the days of the TJ upholstery jobs are long gone. The climate in TJ has changed drastically. Just read the travel warnings issued by the government. You will have a big sign on your back that will say "I have a lot of cash on me to pay for an upholstery job, so please rob me". One sideways glance at a drunk local will get your ass kicked or arrested by the corrupt Mexican police. If the local police see American license plates expect to be "detained" until your wallet is empty. Just trying to get your car back across the border will be a pain. The border police know all the tricks the pushers use to transport their dope. More than likely your car will be clean but it will be searched. Who are you going to complain to when your seats fall apart? Sure, many tourists travel to TJ every day, but they stay in the tourist district and by counterfeit Cuban cigars made from cheap crap. Stray 3 or 4 blocks from it and you are a target. I will never go to Mexico again.

loudbang likes this.
  19. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

don’t forget mex-insure , as your insurance from the states is not valid in Mexico unless you have a special policy

Special Ed likes this.
  20. evintho

evintho

^^^Exactly what Ed said!

21. I keep coming back and reading on this and it just struck me, i bet all of the good upholstery guys from tj have moved to the United states by now.

22. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had TJ upholstery done in the 60's but would be hesitant now. We were also broke kids at the time-now I have it done locally by a young man who migrated from Mexico years ago-honest and great work!. Yes it is pricey but end up with a top flight product.

Gman0046 likes this.
  23. Gman0046

Gman0046

For what its worth, a friend not long ago had his 55 Chevys interior done for $5500.00. I asked him how he liked it. He replied " I wish I would have spent $10,000.00 for something I liked". Worlds biggest truism, you get what you pay for.
    Back in the nineties I used to go to a number of places in Mexico every couple of weeks on business and it was fine but wouldn't think of it now.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    olscrounger likes this.
  24. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

TJ is a major metropolis , do you think all the rich Mexicans come to the states to have “ nice” upholstery work done?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. I have no idea and truthfully don't give a flying rats ass. Doesn't concern me. But it sounds like there aren't any good upholstery shops out west. Every car related show on TV shows them taking their cars to get upholstery done in California by Hispanics, therefore i made a statement that it seems all of the good upholsterers have moved to the states.

loudbang, chopped and 427 sleeper like this.
  26. Just have a plan. Know your destination and how to get there. You don't want any wrong turns. Are you dropping off or holing up somewhere local to wait? How fast can you run?
    Plan stuff like that. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  27. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

I grew up in Chula Vista (south of 'Dago), currently live In El Cajon. NO WAY would I go to T-Town these days without a friend who spoke spanish, knew where to go for good work, knew the area. Extra pair of eyes...

Tecate MIGHT be an option, 50 miles east. Main drag a couple blocks from the border, doesn't seem to have the violence TJ has, more of a quiet small-town feel. Where? Quality? No idea... Bring a buddy who is fluent!

IF you can afford threads up here, you might get some good recommendations for your area on a new thread - where are you at?