Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Exhaust Header Knock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by iafraser39, Feb 5, 2020.

1. iafraser39

iafraser39
    from Warmland

Is there such thing as a Header Knock? I recently 401 nailhead out for a 425, using the headers the were on the 401. When I get on it when the engine is not up to temperature,
    there is a knock or rattle that comes from the exhaust, it goes away once the engine is up
    to temperature. I never experienced this on the 401. Cam anybody explain this.

2. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Something loose or broke? When heated up it expands and gets less noisy , not gone.

3. donsz

donsz

Does the header have a heat riser?
    don

4. Could it be better exhaust port scavenging causing a lean condition?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. BJR

BJR

Piston skirt knock, goes away when warm, SBC are famous for this.

Elcohaulic and olscrounger like this.
  6. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I had 1 Exhaust valve Guide go bad that made a knocking sound , the sound was the Valve centering its self on Valve seat when closing.

7. realsteeler

realsteeler

Not sure if this applies to any of you. But my hearing has deteriorated with age. A couple of years ago, I could hear this god awful clatter coming out of my sbc. Sounded to me like I'd done a big end bearing, although oil pressure was still good.
    Not having time to mess with it, I quickly fitted a new crate engine.
    Fired it up. Much to my horror, the noise still there:(.
    So I asked Mrs to listen while I revved it up.
    She thought the noise was coming from further back towards the middle of the truck.
    Turned out to be a loose baffle in one of the mufflers:rolleyes:.
    Never did tell her the whole story!!

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  8. iafraser39

iafraser39
    from Warmland

This s a brand new rebuild by Russ Martin of Centerville Auto. I swapped all the bling and headers off my 401. The headers are long tube and have no loose ends in them. Could it be that there is a different cam in the 425, which incidentally is bored out to 435 cubes. The noise didn't happen with the 401, and only happens when I put my foot into it and its not up to temperature.

9. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

I've had a small exhaust leak that sounded like a knock that went away when it warmed up. The metal expands and sealed up the leak, warm it up and put a wrench on each bolt, let it cool and wrench them again. That's how I got mine to seal.

10. triumph 1

triumph 1

It’s never a good idea to put your foot into it before the engine has some oil temp. If it has forged pistons it could definitely be the noise until they warm up & expand a little.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.