Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can anyone help me identify these valve covers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fieldcar_56, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Fieldcar_56

Fieldcar_56
    from New Mexico

IMG_7724.JPG IMG_7724.JPG

Good evening everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any info on these old staggered bolt sbc valve covers? They are low profile and have zero casting marks. I’m debating on tapping them to use on later style heads but if they are valuable/rare I would rather leave them on the shelf for a later build.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. I'm not sure if they are rare, but seems it would be tough to make them work on later heads considering the clearance area above the holes. If I remember right, the staggered holes are at least a 1/2" off or so from the location of the straight across pattern. I would keep them on the shelf or sell them to someone that could use the staggered pattern and find a set that will work for what you have. Anyway, just a thought.

Fieldcar_56 likes this.
  3. Fordors

Fordors

They look to me like they are stamped steel, chromed covers as sold by JC Whitney, Honest Charley and others BITD.
    Post a photo of the underside.

egads, lurker mick and guthriesmith like this.
  4. Fieldcar_56

Fieldcar_56
    from New Mexico

Thanks for the reply, and here you go IMG_7724.JPG

5. Fieldcar_56

Fieldcar_56
    from New Mexico

I hear that, I got them from a yard sell and the lady’s husband had a bunch of old cool stuff so I assumed they were vintage. I haven’t seen these before but figured they would work for me when I was planning in building a 283.

guthriesmith likes this.
  6. X2 on J.C.Whitney.

Gasser 57 and Fieldcar_56 like this.
  7. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

They're either Cal Chrome or Cal Custom...I forget if Cal Chrome became Cal Custom later on..

8. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

For a '55 to mid '59 265 or 283 They look like early CAL CUSTOM.

jimmy six and Fieldcar_56 like this.
  9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

100% Cal Custom; there is a NOS pair for the SBC on that auction site we all know and love, but they are the straight across bolt pattern. And, they have a BIN of ONLY $199.95!!! Yours should be worth at least half that amount. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    jimmy six and Fieldcar_56 like this.
  10. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X4 on the above three.

Fieldcar_56 likes this.
  11. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Somebody made aluminum adapter plates. Screwed on to the head and had the offset holes tapped into the plate. You could make your own with a jigsaw and hand held drill. A drill press would be high tech.

12. Fieldcar_56

Fieldcar_56
    from New Mexico

I think I’m gonna leave them alone and save them for later. If I can find a pair of strait across pattern for what I have now.

13. Fieldcar_56

Fieldcar_56
    from New Mexico

Thank you for the info

14. Fieldcar_56

Fieldcar_56
    from New Mexico

Sweet, I’m gonna see about getting the proper pattern. Thanks for your info too, you’ve commented on almost all of my posts and are a plethora of info.

15. Fieldcar_56

Fieldcar_56
    from New Mexico

Thank you !

16. Fieldcar_56

Fieldcar_56
    from New Mexico

Is that a catalog number? Are they still in production?

winduptoy likes this.
  17. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

They where always considered kinda cheesy. Sorta like the edelbrock valve covers later on with the edelbrock name and screws around the edges.

bchctybob, belair and Fieldcar_56 like this.
  18. Fieldcar_56

Fieldcar_56
    from New Mexico

Haha, well I do t wanna be that guy. I’m trying to build a period correct 327 and Am not sure what route to go for my valve covers.

19. Fordors

Fordors

F50D4EDA-F2AC-4D3A-99F2-7E16FB358429.png
    This would be my choice, available reproduction in chrome as on some high horsepower 327’s, or orange also. These were used on ‘62-‘67 327’s.

20. belair

belair

They would be very appropriate on a poor boy build. Bought a set one time, from the box I thought they were cast. Took them back, because they were not cool enough. That was in 1975.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. bchctybob

bchctybob

Like they said they look like the cheap custom valve covers from mail order companies like Almquist, JC Whitney, and Honest Charlie.
    Nothing wrong with that. These days they are unusual and scarce since no one valued them in the old days and didn’t save them. I wouldn’t modify them, save them for an early style build with early heads.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Fieldcar_56 likes this.
  22. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I ran a pair of those way back when because I was a poor boy and I could afford them. Period correct, yes.

winduptoy likes this.
  23. If you really don't know what X2 means, then I will tell you...it means I am the second one to agree with the post mentioned.

Speed Gems likes this.
  24. Fieldcar_56

Fieldcar_56
    from New Mexico

I actually have the set that came in my 327 sitting on the shelf. They are perfect with zero dents

25. Fieldcar_56

Fieldcar_56
    from New Mexico

Would you rock em now?

26. Fieldcar_56

Fieldcar_56
    from New Mexico

I think that’s the plan. I could use them on first gen c10 build once I finish my 210.

bchctybob likes this.
  27. Squablow

Squablow

They're different, (which is hard to find for anything SBC) and they're period correct, so why not run them? Pattern adapters are cheap enough and will keep you from having to modify the covers. They're very low-rise as-is anyway so the bit of extra height from an adapter shouldn't hurt the looks any.

28. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Those valve covers came out pretty early...probably years before Cal Custom made aluminum covers. I had some NOS ones years ago and the label was very early. They were probably one of the earliest if not the first chrome valve cover...this is way before the L79 valve cover. I'd guess they came out 1957 or thereabouts. There were very few aftermarket covers at all then. I think they're cool on certain builds..like lets say a pretty stock small block in an F100. They definitely had their place..

bchctybob and Fieldcar_56 like this.
  29. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I did a little research and found the logo that I remember from the set I had. Here it is....also for some history this website says that Eastern Auto was later renamed California Custom. They mostly started off with chroming original pieces of trim and reselling them. Everybody wanted California Chrome...lol.

20200205_104559.jpg

30. belair

belair

On the right build I sure would. As was said earlier, they got thrown away and not many around now.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Fieldcar_56 likes this.