Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lowering my ‘66 GMC Shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nitrousnutter, Jan 24, 2020.

1. A Boner

A Boner

Would like to see Pete Eastwood's opinion on this. I think he has lowered more than a few!

2. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Hey, who’s Pete Eastwood? Like to get an extra bit of knowledge

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Caprice89

Caprice89

And the hood and grill. Yours are Chevy.

On topic: I dig your truck. If you ever wanna sell your grill and hood to make it a real GMC, let me know. I have a Chevrolet with the GMC parts. And I only live across the English Channel :)

Sent from my online shouting device

nitrousnutter and guthriesmith like this.
  4. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Hey thanks, I actually like the early Chevy grill, it has a Chevy tailgate aswell but is a GMC, I’ll bear it in mind if I do.

Thanks Jason

5. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

DSCF3850.JPG DSCF4459.JPG DSCF4867.JPG DSCF4864.JPG I took 4 shortest leafs out of mine . dropped about 2 in. and the leaves are so short they don't do much till you put over a 1.2 ton on it . liked it so much I needed more .flipped and c notched now . rides better than new .bolt in c notch was around $100.oo . welded after bolting ,but didn't really need to . frnt started it all with 3 inch drop spindles and one coil cut . if I had a do over id use 2.5 drop !!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    nitrousnutter likes this.
  6. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Thanks Buick Bill that exactly what I needed to hear I’m thinking of one of those bolt in notches now

7. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

you wont regret it .the ride is grt and the looks are better. after or while doing the axle flop I added the 2 longest leafs back on both sides and to me its perfect . 2 fat people can sit on the tailgate without bottoming out .so you can still carry a decent ld. I did a 75 c10 frnt swap . disk brakes are grt . much stronger design .and bolt on 1 day job . here donners are a near giveaway. im clueless as to the situation at your address ! but like I said 2.5 dropped spindles are cheap on line so frnt swap, rebuild and spindles under $500.oo us that's unknown quids or pounds or whatever yall call it . nice truck . sometimes I wish mine had a wide box .rally want one of each,,,or more . get rid of that grill . everyone has a c10 dare to be different!! I actually thought about a chevy frnt on my 55 brbn when I started building it ! sure glad I woke up !!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  8. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

9. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Now that’s a nice brbn, love the stance, well I’ve just bought the drop spindles and I’ve had to get 4 new wheels there’s a rod shop over here that can do me a deal on vintique smoothies, I think I’ll go 15x7 on the front and 15x8 on the rear, not sure what size tires I’ll need though

10. Not sure if you want to run dog dish hubcaps one day but wheel vintiques also makes OEM style wheels that look like the ones you currently have and fit disc brakes I have set in my garage that are going on this year

11. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

I have the original caps but not fitted on in the pic, yes that’s a good point, are they the gennie wheels? I didn’t know until mentioned that smoothies don’t accommodate the genuine caps

Cheers blacknwhitedog

Jason

12. Jason,

You'll want to look at these. 15 x7 minimum width for disc brakes.. https://www.jegs.com/i/Wheel-Vintiques/939/62-5706044/10002/-1

13. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

14. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

I had to go to a 225-70-15 on the rear of mine after the flip for clearance . nothing rubs but its so close inside and out . the rally wheels almost have a stock look and you cant beat the price . kinda nice not having to polish as well. bending over gets to be less fun EVERY year!!