Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shipping parts..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldoginMd, Feb 3, 2020.

1. So what did the seller have to say about it?

Flathead Dave, Hombre and nochop like this.
  2. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Should have used that expanding foam stuff

Johnny Gee and seb fontana like this.
  3. Sad. That's stupidity on a breathtaking level. No shipper in the world was going to be able to get two brittle cast iron manifolds thrown into a box like that delivered safely. Contact your credit card company for a refund. Hopefully the seller will have learned something here.

4. southcross2631

southcross2631

I shipped exhaust manifolds to Europe and that's not the way I packed them. I wrapped each one in foam wrap bolted them together and then wrapped that with foam rubber and heavy cardboard. No problem and they went to Romania.
    Yeah you got screwed. No go to him with your problem. If he's on here name him so I don't have him ship me anything.

5. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

1 Step Further today, I had UPS Store pack a nice 56 Chevy front bumper end and a nice front bumper guard. $26.00 to Pack, Insured for $500.00. $39.47 to Ship to a HAMB member Ohio from Virginia. Expensive I know, but my arthritic hands could not handle it today. Normally I pack any items I sell, just not today.

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, any time I ship something that's heavy and susceptible to damage I wrap it in plastic, support it near the center of the box I'm shipping it in, and spray it full of expanding foam insulation. Sometimes the buyer has to struggle to get the stuff cut away and unpack the parts, but it's better than ending up with a box full of scrap iron.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is nonsense. I've received a couple of things that may have been packaged by the same guy though.
    I save the plastic bubble wrap and plastic peanuts that stuff comes packaged with and reuse it to send stuff out. For small items you can buy a little roll at dollar tree for a buck and a small roll of packaging tape for a buck. I've even used the Styrofoam blocks that electronic equipment came with to package stuff up to ship it out.
    I bought a pair of taillights for my OT daily a while back to replace the crappy aftermarket ones that were on it and the guy I got them from did one of the best packing jobs I have ever seen. Wrapped in several layers of bubble wrap and surrounded by packing peanuts. My wife was laughing at me trying to get them unpacked as it was rather comical.

alanp561 and nochop like this.
  8. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

The seller didn't pack anything, just a dump n qtr-assed tape job.
    Don't know what is worse these days, seriously clueless "packaging" (= getting most of it in box, taped w/scotch tape, at least they use ~ 6" of it), or the "shippers" doing everything possible to destroy any/all/every pkg, just because they can. Guess it all relates to the Brave New World = Max Meaness All the Time. Guess it's the combo of the 2. When I have to send something, it's packed like I want to receive it, so it gets there in one piece. So much packing, I literally have to kneel/sit on box to get it closed while I tape the hell out of it. I wouldn't have UPS-STORE pack air, it'd get ruined/lost. Everything is "supposedly" "insured", but very few actually ever pay out - GD good scam there. Marcus...

9. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

He did a terrible job of packing.I ship and have shipped lots of parts.Heavy parts shift if not shored up . I use styrofoam chunks and double box them. Flat glass like windwings I use styrofoam sheets and double box also_On like early Ford transmissions,I make a plywood plate and bolt that to the bellhousing .Lately I shipped 6 alu flathead oil pans from Europe to USA and Australia.I made 1/2 ply sections bolted to the front and rear bellhousing sections.I NEVER use peanuts and do use bubble wrap depending on the item.

10. I have shipped parts all over the world, and I never had a complaint about my packaging. As someone else already said, pack it like you would like to see it shipped to you. I also use Styrofoam packing from electronic equipment, it's free, it's light, and does the job.

11. I had 2 pieces of side trim come for my car... the boxes looked like hockey sticks. If I was there when the truck showed up, I would have refused both packages. I got refunds in both cases, but it took 2 perfectly good pieces of trim off the market.

12. I get all the boxes and bubble wrap from work, used stuff but good quality boxes. I would have bolted them face to face and wrapped them with bubble wrap and everyone loves a tight box. Maybe pull the protruding studs or sleeve them with something.

13. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

There is no packing. The guy is simply a clown who doesn't give a damn about anyone but himself. Sadly that seems to be standard procedure lately. If he won't make good on it put his name and address on here even if he isn't a HAMBer, might save someone else the same disaster.

Gasser 57 and 5window like this.
  14. big john d

big john d
    from ma

cut a piece of scrap plywood to fit the box and a couple cheap bolts to hold them on it some scrap cardboard and you are good to go

15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@OldoginMd At the break is there any indication that the manifold was already cracked when Shipping Dildo put it in the box, or does the entire break show fresh clean metal? If it was already cracked there will definitely be a different color of metal showing. If it was cracked when Shipping Dildo put it in the box you might be able to convince PayPal that the goods were damaged and Shipping Dildo misrepresented the item.

This would apply if you used PayPal Other payment options may also offer some recourse.

What other vehicles might those manifolds have been used on? I have a couple laying around that I do not know the origin of, and if I've got a drivers side with the right numbers on it it's yours for the cost of shipping. I'll take care of the packing.

16. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a new NOS grill for a 40/41 Ford big truck that I sold on the auction site. The feed back the buyer left was positive and his comments were "over the top packaging". Seems to me that is the only type of packaging for parts. IMO

17. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I recently shipped 3 Stromberg carbs. I double wrapped each one in bubble wrap. When I was at UPS I thought maybe I should wrap the box in bubble wrap and put it in another box. Well I didn't and I should have. They arrived damaged. So I recommend double boxing with a layer of bubble wrap between and I will be doing it from this point forward.

18. Wrap the items in plastic bags tape the bags tightly around the items. then use spray foam insulation to fill the voids and it will hopefully survive the shipping ordeal?

19. I was able to get my rear quarter trim in 1 piece, or undamaged. I shot the seller an email and he zip tied them to a piece of firring strip and put them in a round tube. I had no problem paying $15 for that sort of shipping.

alanp561 likes this.
  20. Unfortunately most don't seem to have the same attitude and figure it's a ripoff so as a seller you are sometimes caught in a catch 22. Price the piece to cover your packaging fees and possibly miss out on a sale because you are more than the guy who does the kind of crap the OP's shipper did, piss off the buyer with extra fees, or eat the loss in packaging costs.

21. Squablow

Squablow

That is truly pathetic shipping. Even using a board and foam, that box is the wrong size for those manifolds. And just dumping them in there with no packing is even worse. A real shame, more good old used parts are lost now.

22. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I have shipped a lot of heavy stuff thru UPS, but built plywood crates with 2x4 bracing inside and whatever it takes to make it immobile, did a toploader and a complete FE 3x2 that way, zero damage. Usually get stuff in the same way, except once. An older guy listed a used SCAT "forged" 4.25 crank, for $400, which would be a decent deal, and also a set and spares of big solid roller pushrods. I bought both and he "shipped". When I picked up at the UPS terminal, they were in a SCAT crank box, which usually comes with nice supports for both ends of the crank that fit snugly in the box. Box was thrashed, and you could see circular marks from the counterweights and ends of the crank- and the whole thing rattled. Got it open, and he had set the crank in the box, and threw the pushrods in, with no padding or support of any kind- the crank was rolling around in the cardboard box with the pushrods. That was bad enough, but when I got the crank out, it looked funny, so I checked the part #, and it was the plain cast iron version, not forged steel as his ad clearly stated. Got in touch with him, and he said no, he meant he was selling it to BUY a steel version. Sent him a screenshot of his ad that clearly said "forged", he just said oh well, just a mistake- only really bad experience I've had

23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

First of all, those are not the CORRECT exhaust manifolds for a 64 Chevrolet El Camino (or ANY 64 Chevrolet for that matter); they should be rams horns (they could be made to work IF the one was't busted up!). Secondly, judging by the "color" around the break, I wonder if there was't a crack/exhaust leak there to begin with? At the very least, they should have been packed in several weeks worth of your local newspaper. You could't find exhaust manifolds more local to you, and pick them up in person? There's NO way any shipper is going to stand behind that; they were't packaged adequately, so unless your seller stands behind them, you're out of luck. Hopefully, a fellow HAMBER will donate to your need; I would if I had them, as I give stuff away all the time. Good luck.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    low down A likes this.
  24. Just wanna say there are a lot of good people here. Always willing to help out to see a guy get his car done. I don't have any manifolds or i would already have them on the way to you. Sometimes it scares me to belong to such a group that would let me be a member, but I'm glad you do.

25. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

^^^Amen.. Seller is retarded and should be bitch slapped. I've had two brand new trans missions shipped to me and one had the input sticking out the box and the other one had the tailshaft trying to exit the box..As of late packages are arriving pretty good except for the one that backed in my driveway and knocked the end of my stone wall over. AND the next one pushed the peice of wall another two feet! You should get a refund, period..

26. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Your parts were not correctly packed. That said I've been shipping parts for over 40 years and no matter how they were packed if there's damage the standard excuse by the freight company is not packaged correctly. I wonder what percentage of claims are ever paid? I'll bet it's very low.

27. chevsotolac

chevsotolac

I ship all over the world...only once have I had a damaged item returned to me....and that was by UPS and it was never elivered to the customer....THEY returned it to me....that packing job was a joke....there are a lot of things I will not ship because of breakage and those are on the list....

28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Then hope they wrapped the parts in plastic first or one will be scraping as well as cursing.

nochop likes this.
  29. low down A

low down A

i would think the cost of shipping these days would way exceed the value of those common manifolds 10 to 15 dollar range at about any swap meet. but that doesn't excuse poor packing if the buyer is willing to pay

5window likes this.