Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Is it a 48 Ford?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by oldskool/oldtool, Feb 2, 2020.

1. New to H.A.M.B.
    Havent had a chance to do anything to it yet. Gathering parts. Want to do a Fordillac.

received_469001853732238.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S327VL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. vinny harms

vinny harms

What year is it?

birth day febuary 21 2008

3. 550Coupe, japchris, brad2v and 5 others like this.
  4. Was told it was a 48. BOS only and havent checked for s vin#. Found on here should be 3 stamped location on frame
    Does have original running gear. No eng/trans. PU a 51 cadfy 331 and 50's f1 trans.

5. Little rust in btm of doors and rockers. Previous owner really had no history on it. Someone got to the tailights and stopped. Dash panel no gauges.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. deucemac

deucemac

Two items that were 48 only. First is the ignition switch, it's a switch only and doesn't include a coincidental steering lock. Second, 48 was the first year to use tube shocks. There may be others but those two for sure. But, with all the mods done, who knows what still exists stock.

7. Thank you for the info.
    Best will be get the body off the frame and check for vin#s.

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Business coupes had short doors and no rear seat as it used the same door as four door sedan; the tudor sedan and club coupe had a rear seat and used the longer Tudor doors, the difference in length is about 8". That body looks as though it started out as a club coupe.
    Serial numbers for YOM, http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm

upload_2020-2-3_15-37-22.png

upload_2020-2-3_15-37-1.png
    Other: From 1932 through 1948 vehicles, Ford Motor Company stamped the serial number into the top of the driver's side frame rail in three locations. This same number was also stamped into the top of the transmission-to-engine housing portion of the transmission. This location was visible when the floorboard and transmission cover plate were removed (click here for a picture example). Of the frame-stamped serial numbers, only the forward-most stamping was visible when looking down into the engine compartment (located between the front cross-member and the dash (firewall). The two other frame locations are visible only when the body is removed from the frame. The serial numbers were metal stamped with numbers/letters approximately 1/4" in height.
    upload_2020-2-3_15-41-37.png
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_model_ID_1947-48cars.htm
    47-48 had tubular front shocks with upper frame brackets
    [​IMG]

9. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Sounds like you don't have a title. If your in Indiana that would be the first thing I would gather up.

10. First, thank you ALL for your insight.
    I know enough to be dangerous. Never knew about there being long and short door. Found a 47 frame out here in California with paperwork for $700.
    First I'll check frame again. I have only been looking on DS IN FRONT of the cross member. I'll expand the area.
    Car is really just a shell.
    For price with what has been done seemed worth the risk w/o a title.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. clem

clem

Sounds like yours is a ‘47 !
    Looks like you are on your way to a neat build.

kidcampbell71 and tubman like this.
  12. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

IMG_0485.JPG IMG_0360.JPG My 48 has the V.I.N. number plate on the Driver side A pillar , visible with the door open .
    in the interior pic , you can see the edge of the VIN plate just in front of the window winder

13. 62rebel

62rebel

Come on, back off on the negativity right off the bat. He didn't build it like that, he bought it. Looks like a lot of potential.

Asphalt Angel and jimgoetz like this.
  14. Gman0046

Gman0046

62rebel, your right. I deleted my post.

15. chopped

chopped

Step one, get it in your name with the state.

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

x2 20200203_134238.jpg 20200203_134428.jpg 20200203_134330.jpg 20200203_134316.jpg

17. Torchie

Torchie

My 2 cents....
    The frame number should be stamped on 3 places on the DS frame rail. Up near the front cross member. About the area where the shocks mount. Under the drivers door sill area, usually about half way back and sort of on the hump on the rear of the frame. These are just the general area as I have seen them.
    Not always stamped very deeply or neatly. It should also have an asterik looking mark before it and after it.
    Long door or short door all used the same frame. So any 47? Ford car frame should work.
    now.....
    Not to stir up shit. Maybe it's just the angle of the pics but that car looks long to me. I would measure the wheel base. Make sure it's not based on a Mercury. Ford is 114" vs Mercury 118". Like I said. It could just be the angle of the shots.
    Great start to a custom build.IMHO. The chop looks to be well done and proportioned as does the quarter window shape.
    I love to have it sitting in my shop.
    Make sure to keep posting progress on it.
    Torchie

18. Nothing wrong with stating your mind. A good rash of chit still likely has something worth knowing.

19. Thanks Torchie. Of course it never occurred to me could be a Mercury. Got a rebuilt 51 caddy engine with a free rusty coupe. But its not that rusty and looks to be complete. W extras. Maybe Y block instead. Be a slow roll. Drive OTR home 3 or 4 days a month. received_1045664649111044.jpeg

20. I have this shell in case u need parts...im letting it go cheap before i turn it in to something weird.
    IMG_20191116_094506.jpg

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. jimvette59

jimvette59

I like the work that was done on the front. I think that a 49 merc. grill opening was used and the frenched head lights really are nice with the nosed and decked body. Get that heap registered and strip it down finish it. I think it is a great body. JMHO

22. 1941coupe

1941coupe

the caddy 331 would be an excellent choice with its pass side starter ,you will need to find hurst motor mounts and trans adaptor, the pu trans is open drive so you would need a open rear like a 8in ford or chevy nova,i have a 46 merc with an 303 olds 39 trans ,I did the swap about 6 years age and love it..good luck

23. Congrats on the find, I'd love to start a project that is that far along, can easily turn out to be a really nice car. BigO

Frankie47 likes this.
  24. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I remember the Lincoln taillights was a popular custom mod way back in the 50’s.
    Timeless. Good luck with your build.

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

inner fenders are different on tube shock cars as well!

If they are stock take a photo and I can tell you if they are tube shock or not. Not that some 47’s didn’t come with tube shocks. It’s all mix and match it’s a ford.

26. Thanks for all the info.
    Hoping to start sandblasting at the end of the end of the month
    I am wanting to do what I would call a "period correct" custom from the mid 50's to early 60's. Using parts from 1948 to 1958.
    Keep the banjo, converting over to open drive.
    Upgrade the brakes. I belive someone has repop Lincoln drums now.
    Like the idea of the Lincoln taillights. Had to look them up online.
    Any suggestions on grill (front turn signals) and bumpers?
    If I used any with Dagmars prefer smaller on this car.
    Thanks

27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Most of the customs from that era would use the stock ford trans and torque tube with an adapter for the newer engine. Could save you a lot of hassle changing to open rear and a suspension to support that.

boling brothers and several others carry the Lincoln brakes

28. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Neat start. As said I'd get papers first. Then I'd be real curious what happens if you take it to get media blasted. Might be good, might uncover a lot of sins.
    Youve got a great plan going so far in my book

29. The grille opening looks like it was made for a floating grille. '54 Pontiac or DeSoto grilles were popular, '52 Kaiser bars were used too.

brad2v likes this.
  30. missysdad1

missysdad1

If you spend a lot of time away from home I'd suggest that while you're away you start collecting photos of Ford and Mercury coupes that you like. Once you've settled on a style you can start collecting parts to build it. The worst thing you can do is start cutting and gathering without a plan. Your plan may "evolve" over time, but at least you'll have one. Good luck!

chryslerfan55 and dirt t like this.