Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Just for fun, If you had dumb money to spend what on topic car or truck would you buy or build?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 0NE BAD 51 MERC, Feb 2, 2020.

1. I would love to build a recreation of Taboo's old twin. Walt Nichols 58 Impala convertible. Car was totaled in the mid 60's. Would need alot of money to build the car as 58 drop tops are not cheap and then needing the Chrysler headlights to graft in are not cheap either.

400px-Ron-luchs-1956-chevrolet-miss-taboo24.jpg

2. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

LARGE 3 window Coupe 29-35 preferable V-16 Cadillac or super 8 Packard

3. Got that right!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. 34Larry

34Larry

Excellent choices by every one.
    Having two choices, buy or build, with the sky being the limit I would look at both.
    First the buy dream, and I made that choice a long time ago. Like rudestude, I have always said the '53 Buick Skylark.

The build dream I have on the road now. However it would get a re-do at a top known custom shop that has the capabilities to do it better than money, knowledge and time allowed for me when I did it.

Then because you only offer one choice, I'd have to chose between the two and that is just way to hard to do.

BTW the the '30 PU Avatar is my brothers. 283, with 3 on the tree.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and rudestude like this.
  5. I would hunt this down (if the rumours of it still existing are true) and restore it to it's former glory.
    CCC_BattancourtMerc_Barris-01.jpg

If the rumour are not true I would build a clone. I would also build a clone of it's first incarnation.
    CCC_BattancourtMerc_Ayala-ColorW.jpg

6. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I had any amount of money and only could own one car,it would be a mid 50s (1954/55) custom Coupé with an inline 8 Formula 1 drivetrain- The Uhlenhaut Coupé ... I think only two were made and I had the pleasure to see them at the Mercedes Benz Museum in Stuttgart. A 3 liter straight 8 that redlines at 8k rpm with straight pipes out the fenders, and it was Uhlenhaut ´s daily driver.That thing gave me goose bumps just sitting there. The estimated price is between 65-70.000.000 Euros each. That´s quite some dough.None is for sale, both belong to the Museum. 800px-MercedesBenz300SLR_1.jpg MercedesBenz300SLR_2.jpg

7. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Mine is pretty simple, I had a 57 BelAire two door post when I started dating my wife in 1968 and would like to have another one. Not that I can't afford one but too tight to pay what they are selling for now. I look at projects and don't know if I have another full build left in me and a lot of the projects out there are for sale because they are rotted up to the door handles.

8. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

My first thought would be what I've dreamed of forever, 63 split window Sting Ray, and if I think about it for very long I can think of too many that would be so cool I couldn't state just 1, but a Cheetah would definitely be one of them that I never thought of being a possibility!

chryslerfan55 and chevy57dude like this.
  9. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I almost never agree with anything 100% but yes you nailed it on this one for me.

chryslerfan55 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  10. I did it! Now it would be a '33 Willys coupe gasser, a '36 Willys 2dr panel truck w/ '33 tilt front gasser, a '42 Willys gasser, all w/ hemi, 6-71 blower, tilt 'glas front, Halibrands, Hydro, you know, factory stock.

69768578_1352215298264142_3363155664183492608_n.jpg

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

hard to pic just one. since we are talking stupid money I would have to pick something historic/iconic... maybe the California Kid.

oooh... I like this one better!

8dcc6a0d947c4158060634535fa0e328.jpg

12. 51 mercules

51 mercules

13. trollst

trollst

Well, there's this little problem that happens to some of us when we get old, after literally spending my entire life putting it away for old age, I hesitate to open my wallet anytime now. I can afford to buy a 32 5 window, but won't pay what it cost now, but that is what I'd build, right out of a catalogue. Instead of making my own stuff, I'd get online, have it sent to me, bolt it together, pay big for paint and upholstery, claim I built the whole thing and feel guilty the rest of my life for not sweating, scrimping, making do, trading, whining, swap meeting, borrowing and working tons on the side to finance it. You know.....all the fun things about building a car. I'd do it all over again.

X-cpe, b-body-bob and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. Well you got to post 42 this time before the first crumugeon showed up and couldn't play along.

15. To paraphrase:
    "I don't know much about cars but I know what I like when I see it."

mgtstumpy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. gene-koning

gene-koning

Dreaming.... Lets go for something I'll never have in my lifetime.

I'll take a 55-58 Chrysler 300 with a Hemi built to cruise nicely. 3 color paint, swivel seats with a really nice interior, someone to maintain it for me, and enough gas so I can drive the wheels off of it for a few years. Gene

17. Oldb

Oldb

57 T Bird with a SOHC 427 Ford.

B

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not much originality in the clone making line of thinking.
    Personally I'd be calling the guy down the road with the little out of the way hot rod shop that builds some great cars including one posted on the above posts and ask when he could fit my 48 in to build it the way I want. With no wait for money for the next step he/we might be able to debut it at next years GNRS.
    That would be my dream build right now.

19. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Cold winter

chryslerfan55 and 56don like this.
  20. Before a buddy passed away about 10 years ago, he was sporting around in this really sharp 39 chevy pickup. Ran a small block/auto and sat right down on the ground, Was primed in medium green tinted primer with dark green semigloss fenders and running boards. It was soooooooooo clean! That's what I'd want.

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-2-4_4-21-0.png 1964
    Hello,
    Having been a good friend with Atts Ono, playing on the same amateur basketball teams and all of us being involved in drag racing gave us some great insight. He helped my brother and me build various sections of our 1940 Willys Coupe. He was instrumental with his great ideas and work ethic. It was not just physical help, but ideas, thoughts and a different way to look at things.

When we were finished with our prep stage including a running motor, he was big part of our crew to get the Willys Coupe ready for the drag competition at Lions Dragstrip. He was a very quiet guy, well liked by all, (especially by my mother) and presented himself in a helpful way to others, specifically to my brother and me.

His skills as a mechanic and master craftsman was well shown in the final build of his own 1940 Willys Coupe for the B/Gas class. Yes, as part of our build and race prep crew, he did help us a lot, getting the right attitude for prep and racing. He told my brother what to expect. It was nice that he was also starting his own build and we could reciprocate in our help for him.

After our Willys was ready for racing, we saw it win each round against some popular racers. It came down to the final elimination race against the usual class champion. Atts Ono was with us at the starting line talking to my brother before he made his final run. The last thing I saw was a smile on both of their faces as the door was closed for the creeping up to the line.

We talked about what my brother needed to do to win this final elimination race in C/Gas. One thing was being quick off of the line. What ever Atts Ono said to my brother must have worked as our Willys Coupe was near the tower about a car and a half ahead of the opponent. It continued until it exploded.

Jnaki
    upload_2020-2-4_4-22-51.png
    After our accident, Atts Ono was instrumental in our tear down of the remnants of the Willys Coupe. We offered the whole car to him for parts to help in his build. He thought about it and declined saying the wrecked Willys Coupe gave all of us a different outlook on drag racing. It gave him and us the “willies.”
    upload_2020-2-4_4-23-26.png
    photo by Don Hale

upload_2020-2-4_4-24-1.png
    Not much can be said that has not already been said about the quality of his own Willys Coupe build. Ideas he gave us were multiplied to the next degree of machining and construction. It showed in his craftsmanship and detailing. This red Willys Coupe was for us, the epitome of all gas coupes built around this time period. The magazine article will showcase the details.
    upload_2020-2-4_4-24-36.png
    We were fortunate enough to have him as our friend and fellow drag racing enthusiast. His skills as a basketball player were good enough for a possible starting position at our high school and future Division 1 position. But, his love of drag racing and building cars was too overpowering. It showed in the immaculate finished product of his 1940 red Willys Coupe.
    upload_2020-2-4_4-25-10.png
    This is the one hot rod/drag race car we would build exactly as it was in 1964-65. Atts Ono passed away in 1970 and the Willys was sold to someone on the East Coast. His brother mentioned that he remembers rolling it into a transport carrier headed East. The papers have been misplaced over time and the whereabouts is unknown at the time. His nephew has been trying to find the 1940 Willys Coupe, too.

A total ground up build would be priceless, but costly. That is the one hot rod/drag race car we would like to have in our garage.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1937-to-1942-willys-picture-thread.550556/page-207#post-12963137

THANKS Jason (@elgringo71 HAMB ) https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-vintage-pictures-only.1085302/#post-12332039

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  22. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

23. Yep, another vote for a steel 40 or 41 Willys coupe...obviously with a blown Hemi and nose in the air...

Deuces and ramblin dan like this.
  24. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

We could all PayPal each other a couple bucks. One guy every two weeks and we all make these dreams come true, or at least get the wheels rolling..

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I know what you mean...I just came into a M-B 300 SL Roadster. (removable hard top) Hard to stay out of!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and Baumi like this.
  26. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I would have Brizio build me the 32 lakester I had Thom Taylor draw for me back in 2004 that I have started 2 of and sold both the partially done cars to Dale Grau who has taken them both to completion and has driven the 1st one all over the country and about to finish the second one and drive the tires off it this summer. I just seem to run out of gas in the middle of the project?

27. redo32

redo32

The ultimate, and it was available, I'd buy Danny Thompson's LSR. I've never been over 135mph, so that would be fun. It comes with a trailer, but I'd have to break your rules and buy a truck to pull it. Then it wouldn't fit in my garage, so I'd have to add on. While I'm at it and having fun spending money I'd make the garage big enough to house the rest of my projects. But I'd still not have something to drive while I was waiting for Bonneville, so I'd buy Krylon's '32 Delivery and he could do the 32 Lakester.

Just Gary likes this.
  28. v8flat44

v8flat44

1941 Packard Darrin, 58 Vette canary yellow, Viper drive train..........corinthian leather, a/c etc
    $$$$$$$$$$$ yikes this is dumb

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  29. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

'53 Stude Starlite Coupe.

I let one get away several years back. Not this time

30. donno

donno

'50 Olds 88 Coupe, stock body but updated running gear.

olscrounger likes this.