Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Yes. Good eye. I didn't catch that. I will have to get that fixed.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  2. 20200203_163420.jpg 20200203_150858.jpg I received a box today from the chrome plater. Some of the parts like the steering shaft were not plated when the gen two went in and new pieces had to be made. There was no time for it. Other small parts like the large nut for the steering box and rear end u- bolts are because I like shiny parts and it keeps them from rusting.. The blower restraint brackets were originally powder coated and were starting to show some age. I drilled them over winter and needed to do something with them. The pieces for the blower belt adjustment were finally polished. If I didn't have this sickness for shiny things I probably wouldn't have to work so much overtime.

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And there's no 12 step program for that, you are afflicted for life!

Stogy and mad mikey like this.
  4. I'm not going to rehab because that would make me a quitter. A quick pic of the progress after the day job today. I think I will make it all happen for the autorama. 20200203_183228.jpg

enloe, wicarnut, Chucky and 14 others like this.
  5. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

While he's fixing the "duel" have him redo "Kieth" Black. Unless it's really spelled like that.

loudbang, seb fontana and Stogy like this.
  6. I really didn't look at the sign. I picked it up and put it in the shop. That has to get fixed also. I have already put in the call to him. Thanks guys I have alot going on right now. I surely don't want to display a sign by the car with a bunch of misspelt works on it.

enloe, loudbang, mad mikey and 4 others like this.
  7. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I kinda like Duel Fuel. Very Cuel :rolleyes:

8. DFH-GMC

DFH-GMC
    from Texas

I think a drag race is kinda like a duel, it should run on duel fuel.

Stogy, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. John Sheppard the sign painter I use was in the area today so he stopped by to pick up the pin up sign that needs some corrections. He hasn't seen the car since it was in his shop getting lettered and gold leaf years ago. He had his brushes and paint with him so I asked him if he had time to put something on the nitro tank. As we talked about cars; music; cool stuff etc the simple lettering got out of hand. There he was talking a little then striping a little. Before too long the scoop was done also. It's hard to appreciate how it looks in the pics under my shop lights. It's hard to take pictures that turn out without being right on the parts. Standing back a few feet the pin striping really blends in. It almost disappears. My pics make it look very bold. I really get into the way he does his work. I'm lucky to have a guy so talented in my area. 20200206_154827.jpg 20200206_170504.jpg 20200206_170517.jpg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  10. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Cool addition!

loudbang and racer-x like this.
  11. Thanks. It really breaks up the in your face fuel tank.

enloe, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm thinking your car is all about being "in your face" Brian.
    Saying that in a complimentary kind of way.

13. Now that it's all back together with more shiny parts on it the parts that are not polished or plated stand out. A call has already been made to take care of that. The valve cover breathers being the worst. It's funny how they went unnoticed before.

14. loudbang

loudbang

Like how those talented pinstripers just kind of rest their hand here and there and can make their lines straight and the size they want.

1947knuck, enloe, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  15. I agree. I can't draw a straight line.

Andy K, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  16. The axles I have been waiting for have arrived. Over the off season I upgraded to a spool and 40 spline axles. This opened up a can of worms. The axle housing ends needed to be cut off and big Ford ends put on do to the larger bearings a 40 spline requires. This change then needed different brake brackets. I reset the back lash after new carrier bearings were put on the spool. The whole thing was stripped and repainted.
    I spent some extra cash to save some weight. The axles are gun drilled and the flanges are lightened. The gun drilled 40s are lighter and stronger than the solid 35s. 20200207_124913.jpg 20200207_124925.jpg 20200207_173055.jpg A plug is pressed into the ends of the axles to keep the gear lube from leaking out. 5/8 studs round out the package. These changes should make the dana bullet proof.
    The breathers were polished today. They look great. Mike did a great job. A lot of small jobs were crossed off the list. A lot of work remains to make it show ready.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    enloe, chryslerfan55, TFoch and 8 others like this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

looking good!

Pistons and rods? :)

18. I have the new pistons. The rings are filed. New bearings for the rods are here. I'm just waiting for the rods they should be done in ten days. The engine is loosely mocked up for the show. As soon as I get back I will finish the job. I will leave the block in the chassis as I put the rod and pistons in. The cam is already degreed. It will only take a afternoon by myself to be able to fire it up. All the hard work is done.

19. Brian,,
    Those axles are beautiful,,,really looks like good quality.
    Strange makes very good parts.
    I have Mark Williams that I bought new about 35 years ago.
    Man,,,those 5/8 drive studs are wicked too,,,,,they really make the wheel register to the axle .
    Expensive,,,,but you can’t hurt them !
    Your Dana should be in excellent shape after this .

Tommy

20. I agree they do look cool. Too bad you can't see them once installed.
    I have mark Williams steel caps and studs in there also. The steel caps stop all the flex that occurs with the stock cast caps. The spool is trying to push it's way out of the housing.
    Those big 40 spline axles also make the whole rear end stronger and less likely to have any housing flex. I think the only thing that's stock on this 60 is the pinion nut and washer.

21. And this is why I'm working so many extra hours. I wasn't born with a silver spoon I have to hustle to make this all happen. I'm enjoying the results.

22. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Looking good brian I know what’s it’s all about having to hustle to get things you need hoping to have a new motor for the afx soon been working on my dragster fired it up tonight and since getting a bigger fuel pump it seems to run way better than last time I ran it I’m ready to make a pass in it just waiting for warm weather now my hemi is no where near yours but still a blown alky drinking hemi is still kool none the less maybe once I get a tune on it I can tip the can a skosh

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

enloe, racer-x, chryslerfan55 and 4 others like this.
  23. Let me tip the can for you. It will definitely go faster if I do it.

24. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I don’t think it will handle 80-90% maybe someday but not right now

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

enloe, racer-x, dirty old man and 3 others like this.
  25. You wont know unless you try. Your time will come. Bring it to George Ray's this spring.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    enloe, dirty old man and loudbang like this.
  26. squirrel

squirrel

The shank of the wheel studs is actually 11/16" isn't it? with a 5/8" thread? Just curious...I looked into them a while back, but decided to use 1/2" for my car.

racer-x and loudbang like this.
  27. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Yes Squirrel, that is right. 11/16 on the smooth part with a 5/8 threaded part. I put them on my car right from the start. Probably overkill for my power level, but I figured do it once, do it the best, avoid problems.

28. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I think its time to polish them valve covers now, i know how u like polished magnesium.
    Tony

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

slayer, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The drive studs I had on my RED had threaded sleeves, made it a pain to get the rotors off.

enloe likes this.