Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shipping parts..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldoginMd, Feb 3, 2020.

1. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

We all buy parts from others and same with me and would like your opinion whether I should be upset ..I bought a set of manifolds for my 64 El Camino and this how they arrived . The guy I bought them off of said he did a good job of packing them .These are in order as I opened box ..nothing is left out ..obviously I got a broken one ..I just would like your opinion if these were packed for shipping adequately?

Attached Files:

2. greener200

greener200

Guys a friggin moron ,short an sweet. Send them back if you can .Thats a guy who got his money up-front ,and couldn't give a shit after that .

3. 51 mercules

51 mercules

No! I had the same thing happen on a Halibrand 101 Model A Quick Change.When it arrived some of the parts were missing. It was insured and when I tried to put a claim in with the USPS they did not honor it because they said it wasn't properly packaged.[​IMG][​IMG]

flatford39 and 49ratfink like this.

4. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Not only were they not packed right, someone had to work at breaking a cast iron manifold. I always wrap everything in paper and pack enough in the box to keep things from banging around.

49ratfink likes this.
  5. No. It is totally unacceptable. Just like the idiot I bought a 1926 Chevy radiator from who said he "packed it professionally". It came to me with the filler neck squished down into the top take because he failed to support it correctly. I am always complimented on my packing of parts. I make sure the bases are all covered as if I was to send it to myself.

6. chargin03

chargin03

Half broken when put in the box.

Terrible80, 49ratfink and 5window like this.
  7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The broken part and the flimsy box says that he didn't package them anywhere near adequately.
    The guy must be an idiot.

8. 5window

5window

Nowhere near close to acceptable. Was this a HAMBer? If he/she won't make it good, put their name up here. Not everyone on this website is stand-up. Unfortunately.

9. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Also had a 1932 Model B Trans through DHL that was broken when I received. It was well packaged and insured. No problem with the claim.

Hombre likes this.
  10. It ain't how I would of packed them!

Hombre and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

"packing" means packing stuff into the box, so the contents can't move at all. A lot of folks don't understand the basic concept.

12. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I´ve shipped a lot of car parts and never had a complaint yet about bad packaging. But what you got is unacceptable. I would have wrapped each manifold in a few layers of cardboard, duct-taped them together , put them in a real firm box ( if in doubt put a box inside a box) and filled the empty spots with leftovers of cardboard. If it can´t be dropped 3-4 ft without being damaged it ain´t packed well enough.

seb fontana and Hombre like this.
  13. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Not even close to being packaged adequately for shipment with any shipping option we have at our disposal!

Hombre likes this.
  14. I use UPS......and have them inspect the packing to make sure they will insure it (and honor the insurance), then seal up the package.

15. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

5window ..I do not know if he is on here or not ...did the deal on a El Camino site.. I am in the market for 64- 65 El Camino/ Chevelle drivers side manifolds thou ...

Hombre and 5window like this.
  16. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I'm actually surprised they stayed in the box. I would have thought those studs would have easily ripped big holes in the box. And to break that manifold while still having the box stay together is amazing.

17. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

Oh they did corn fed...

Attached Files:

5window likes this.
  18. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I learned the hard way when I received a rare exhaust manifold cracked in several places. Brittle castings like that need SUPPORT just as much as padding. Next time they bolt it to a 2x4, then add padding in a hardshell crate.

Truckdoctor Andy and Hombre like this.
  19. "Expertly thrown into an unsuitable box, with no shits given". I have some crystal chandelier parts to ship across the globe, please let me know the seller's name so I can get some shipping tips.
    If you have paid by Paypal or credit card, you may be able to put in a claim against the seller. If you try to put in a claim against the shipper, they won't even look at you (Can you blame them?)
    Good luck.

Hombre and Gasser 57 like this.
  20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

well the box looked fine sitting by the door waiting to get picked up. lets blame the gorillas at UPS. :confused::eek:

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I think if I were shipping those I would have bolted them together. definitely protect the studs from damage and poking through the box. people are stupid when it comes to packing.

bobss396 and kadillackid like this.
  22. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

If I'd kown he was to dumb...I would have paid extra for as 2 by ....

23. 5window

5window

SOME people are stupid when it comes to packing. Some people are stupid about almost everything. Sadly, that group seems to be getting larger.

24. I worked in the USPS airmail facility at the san franciso airport many years ago. The package needs to be strong enough to toss it 10'feet and bounce it off the floor a few times. Because this is exactly what will happen to it in the post office facility .The package comes down on a conveyor belt you check the zip and toss it the appropriate bin which is full of other boxes .The packing has to be bullet proof .Nothing should move or shake .

Hombre, 56don and flatford39 like this.
  25. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Those parts were very poor packed with zero care.
    You deserve your money back. Hope it was insured.

26. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

27. I also worked in a postal facility.. You need to pack stuff as Hilo Hotrodder said. Whatever you ship will be thrown around a number of times, with heavy stuff being thrown on top of it. Expect the worse treatment you can imagine.....because thats what you are going to get.

28. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

I pack my trash better than that.....

29. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Plastic peanuts are $20 per 5 cubic foot bag from Office Depot, $26 per 7 cubic foot bag from UPS. Unless you're using too big a box, it doesn't take a hell of a lot of them to fill a box with an irregular shaped object in it and it doesn't allow much movement. I've also bought broken sheets of Styrofoam insulation at Lowe's and Home Depot and cut it to fit the insides of the box to make it more rigid. Just shipped a rare manifold from East TN to the San Francisco area via USPS using the Styrofoam. HAMBer who bought it was very pleased with the manifold's condition when it arrived.