Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Super Bell Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jtbender, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Except thumbnail pics I hate thumbnail pics

2. ...........I'm with you. I think a lot of people either don't know that they can post them larger or just don't take the step to do it.:(

3. ..........I would surely enjoy seeing a lot more (full size) pictures of this Model A.:) 20160925_122430.jpg

alfin32, 1947knuck, Hotrodmyk and 3 others like this.
  4. Computer monitors and really any screen can fool you on colors
    But it’s damn close
    E7FAC888-B2C2-4CBD-B969-323675B6E88C.jpeg View attachment 4562930

At least a close enough start to get a paint guy to match it. Carousel red or hugger orange. (Which was a cheap fleet color as well as orbit orange.) the Pontiac and Chevy is the same paint, however the ground coat colors may be different and that will change the color. If you sprayed it over red oxide and light gray you’ll have 2 different shades for shure.

I have no idea what the military would have be painting orange back then,,, however the internet scuttle is that pratt&lambert supplied the Chevy plant with the Chevy orange engine paint - (it is very close to the judge color and hugger orange) (speculation,,,, and if P&L also supplied the military then a mixed shipment could have happened along with stranger things.)

FYI - that color is relatively cheap in PPG’s delfleet essential. Look damn good too. I shot it over a white sealer with PPG’s recommendations for clear coat reduction.stunning

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    alfin32, pitman, 1947knuck and 5 others like this.
  5. jtbender

jtbender
    from troy, mi

What I see on my screen is the shade I am chasing -- a reddish orange rather than bleached out orange peel orange you see the SBC in sometimes when in harsh sunlight. I will chase down the delfleet this week after I receive printed photos of the car that are suppose to be as close as possible. Thanks for the advice. Jim

6. jtbender

jtbender
    from troy, mi

000_0374.jpg 000_0378.jpg
    A few more. Jim

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  7. jtbender

jtbender
    from troy, mi

03-31-13_1201.jpg 05-18-13_1631.jpg 07-21-13_1206.jpg 07-21-13_1208.jpg 20160327_130443.jpg engine.JPG 20160327_130551.jpg another few

8. You know you can make those bigger so we don't have to click on each thumbnail, right?

loudbang and j hansen like this.
  9. Like this.............:) 05-18-13_1631.jpg

10. or this...........:D engine.JPG

alfin32, 1947knuck, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  11. Sell me that Model A, please.:)

Hamtown Al and loudbang like this.
  12. Really ?!?
    That was for color comparison.

loudbang likes this.
  13. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. jtbender

jtbender
    from troy, mi

How does one make them bigger?

j hansen, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. Fordors

Fordors

When you upload your photo just click on the Full Image box. Multiple photos you can just click on the Full Image box that shows at the top

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. ..............what Fordors said. :D

loudbang likes this.
  17. jtbender

jtbender
    from troy, mi

Picture 010.jpg Picture 011.jpg IMG_0658.JPG Got the instructions and changed them all like this IMG_0658.JPG .
    Thanks. Jim

alfin32, 1947knuck, j hansen and 6 others like this.
  18. 34Larry

34Larry

This is just a little mans opinion, no one need get their panties all in a bunch and start a riot.
    BTW I've decided to change my Avatar more often. That's my brothers '30 model A PU. A real true traditional ride with 1957 283, three on the tree.
    Now, ………….a IMO little man voice. I think there is no more iconic grill and front end than the '33/'34 Ford. Never has been, never will be. This treatment on the Bell Coupe just turns me off and it always has since first seeing it back in the day. Believe me I know how much sweat went into this car and I DO appreciate that part. To each our own though.

19. Good job with the pictures, Jim. Easier on my old eyes............Don.:)

Hamtown Al, OFT and loudbang like this.
  20. ... hey Larry, it's the ride height on extremely low 33/34 Fords that put their chin .. close enough to the ground to wad up very expensive & hard to find grilles.

Alot of channeled, lowered 33/34's can't use the stock grilles. You'll see custom nose treatments or the ever popular, sectioned '32 grilles .. because they're easier.

I'm sure without the low front, & the talents of Kenny Ellis .. maybe the nose would be different .. but then it wouldn't be the one of a kind Super Bell coupe.

21. 34Larry

34Larry

Mine doesn't sit that low and I get what your saying though kidcampbell71. A track T nose like Pierson Bos. would have been looking good. I feel the same about using a Deuce shell on a '33/'34.
    I also know how against the grain I am with my opinion, what with the Bell Coupe running with the likes of the Cali. Kid and others of that bunch, which ain't no bad thing bro.

loudbang, kidcampbell71 and OFT like this.
  22. One has gotta make up their mind because they can’t have both.
    A lowered and channeled 33,34 can not run a 33/34 grille. I kinda like that 33/34 grill so I personally would plan the lowering around running the grill and keeping it off the pavement let alone planting it well below the pavement.
    Around here guys will sing high high praises for a radical lower and channel job/stance on these then with the same mouth say something derogatory about the 33/34 grill missing.
    Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The only other asinine thing that can be done is to lay the grill way way way back and that looks stupid. Some guys manage to section a little bit successfully but it’s just a little before it also looks like ass. The 35 grill looks pretty good on the right car.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always thought the coupe was HUGGER ORANGE, a factory color on my '69 Camaro. I especially liked it because it wasn't metallic.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  24. Jim shook them up with his coupe at that time, think back to the time when it was built, the majority of the cars being built were nose bleed high, tires hang out from under the fenders, wire wheeled Resto Rods, Jim built himself a hot rod!

[​IMG]

I thought that grille/nose on his coupe was bad to the bone, I still do and obviously the OP of this thread thinks so too.

I also like Jakes old coupe.HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  25. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Is the paint dry yet!!??………….

26. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Perhaps Frank can splash a dollop of that paint on a card and mail it to you so you can have your local paint guy digitally scan it and mix a batch for you? Though, consider that paint matched to what might be slightly faded roof panel may be a shade lighter than when the car was first sprayed...

Another thought is (if he still has it), just maybe Weedburner's sheet metal brake has a somewhat untouched/unfaded spot on it's underside that could provide a small chip of the actual paint for the record? Many a car restoration has been paint matched from the only sliver of original paint left from a trunk jamb shaving, etc.

loudbang likes this.
  27. john potter

john potter

Hot Orange Killer Coupe- Best Ever.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Clair Heaton got this one right, in my opinion.
    Clair Heaton 4.jpg 2013-05-06 203730.jpg

rod1, Dangerousdan, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  29. S.F.

S.F.

Lets see this piece of hot rodding history. I want to see the sheet metal brake.

loudbang likes this.
  30. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

SHEET METAL BRAKE!! yes...……...

loudbang likes this.