Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical holley carb question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Eh!Bob, Jan 31, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Eh!Bob

Eh!Bob

I just picked up an old edelbrock tr1 bread box tunnel ram and it has 2 Holley carbs on it with the list # 4313-3 . They look like normal 4150 carbs with vac secondary's but can't find much info on them like even cfm ? any body know more about these carbs ?

Deuces likes this.
  2. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Google says they are likely from an International...and another search result shows 390 cfm. So nothing special other than the small size. They might be just the right carbs on that tunnel ram if it's going on a small block engine.

Deuces likes this.
  3. Eh!Bob

Eh!Bob

Thanks! I could not find any cfm rating , yes they are on a tunnel ram for a sbc , so a regular rebuild kit for a 4150 should work ?

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Just pay close attention to the gaskets and hope someone didn't use the wrong ones.

5. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Those truck Holleys sometimes are quite a bit different.
    Does yours have any governor linkage?

I have one (370 cfm) that I had to remove all the governor stuff and modify for car use. It has power valves on both sides and the idle mixture screws are on the secondaries.
    However the bowl and metering block gaskets were standard items.

Oh yeah, do yours have cast iron bases?

Boneyard51 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  6. oj

oj

Some of them had a transfer tube for the accelerator pump circuit, the tube went from metering block into the main body, if your has it then they take different gaskets (both the bowl gasket and metering block gasket) than what the 4150 kit will provide, best to take one apart and see what you have before spending money.
    The carbs spec'd for International are great carbs.

7. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i have robbed a few parts off of them carbs to modify some of the old 1850's in the past. all of them had the governor's on them.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  8. Eh!Bob

Eh!Bob

I had them apart today , the have regular aluminum bases and idle mix screws just on one side . |They both have a strange choke hook up on them though it has rich & lean adjustment but a strange threaded housing?

9. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Make sure you have the vacuum pots ported together, Holly made a kit with two lids with vacuum lines which tied them basically together as one vacuum wise, otherwise the secondaries won't open...

10. Those are called 4160 which only have an accelerator pump on the front side and have a single inlet for fuel, the 4150 is a double pumper with pumps front and back, plus dual fuel inlets.

11. Fordors

Fordors

The 4150 series was first used on ‘57 Fords, and it might have been an exclusive on the T-bird, I’m not sure about that.
    Anyway, the 4150 initially had a single inlet, side hung floats and a metering block on both the primary and secondary sides, with only the primary bowl having an accelerator pump. The secondaries were vacuum controlled.
    It was the 3310 Holley, a 4150 design, as first used on the 1965 Z-16 396 Chevelle that had the first dual inlet, center hung float bowls, along with a primary accelerator pump and vacuum secondaries.
    Later, in an economy move Holley re-engineered the 3310 and I’ll get into that later.
    A 4160 was the same basic carburetor, with one important difference. Instead of a secondary metering block it used a metering plate with integral, drilled jet passages instead of screw in, changeable jets. If a 4160 had side hung floats then the fuel transfer tube to the secondary bowl was shorter. That is the basic difference, no secondary metering block.
    Back to the 3310- at some point Holley changed it from a 4150 to a 4160. It might have been an economy move, (I’m speculating) but they took off the secondary block and substituted a metering plate. At the same time the secondary boosters were changed from down leg style to straight which lowered the CFM from 780 to 750 and it was renumbered to the 3310-2.
    In short, a carb with a secondary metering block is a 4150, a carb with a secondary metering plate is a 4160.

Truckdoctor Andy, vinfab and Truck64 like this.
  12. oj

oj

I know whats what, the OP is the one that said he'd use the 4150 kit, I chose not to change his wording.

13. Eh!Bob

Eh!Bob

thanks for the info guys , I'm not a holley guy they just came on the tunnel ram …. Now I know much more what i'm dealing with!

14. Deuces

Deuces

How's about some pictures of the whole setup????.... I'm sure most of us here would love to see it..... :)