Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why aren't hot rods selling?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49' bomb!, Dec 16, 2019.

1. 19Fordy

19Fordy

To Those Who may be Interested Re: TEACHING as mentioned earlier

Teaching will be good to you if you plan ahead. Here's a dozen "DO's."
    1st. Get your Masters Degree so you don't start out on the very bottom of the pay scale. Then, later get a Doctorate. It opens doors to advancement.
    2nd. Don't get married and encumber yourself with children and BIG debt until you can afford it. Live within your means.
    3rd. Marry someone with an education level and skills that will enable your family to "move up" the economic ladder. The double income principle with similar family goals.
    4th. Make teaching work for you by adding value to yourself so that the school administration employing you want to keep you. Network with colleagues for professional advancement.
    5th. Don't just "do your job" and hide in your classroom . Eat lunch with your colleagues. Be visible. Get to know your colleagues in other subject areas.
    6th. Volunteer for duties outside your job description when needed by the administration and faculty. Be a team player.
    7th. Never disparage your principal or those who employ you. Never gossip.
    DO NOT get caught up in the negativity of peer cliques.
    8th. Keep yourself in the loop by keeping in touch with fellow colleagues who have advanced in the system.They can bring you with them.
    9th. Along the way become bilingual.
    10th. Be true to yourself. and keep a running, upgraded resume with accomplishments that make you stand out from the rest.
    11th. Keep your politics to yourself.
    12th. Always adhere to the Code of Conduct and Ethics of your profession.

These thoughts are from teaching for 3 years in the Peace Corps and then for another 33 more years as a high school industrial arts teacher. I know some may disagree but, that's ok. You will find that no job of any value is easy and stress free without frustration and BS. That's just the way it is when you're dealing with people, parents, children and the bureaucracy of the institution you work for. It's YOUR job to adjust, cope with it and make changes, when you are in a position to do so, so that things get better.

One last thought. Keep your politics to yourself.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@19Fordy EXCELLENT ADVICE!!!.........and very well said!

And, all of it readily adaptable to other occupational fields.

Ray

firstinsteele likes this.
  3. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

It turns me off when someone tells me "you can't build it for what I'm asking" "You get what you pay for" or my favorite is " I have more than that in it" . Its only worth what it will bring today.

4. I believe we are aging out, too many of us our retired. And running out of money for toys.

ct1932ford and 49' bomb! like this.
  5. pitman

pitman

This Thread goes: to Eleven!:D
    And yes, you nailed a sound route here.

49' bomb! likes this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't remember if this has been mentioned, in my circles the ones who have passed on and not sold their car leave them to either wives or children. For some reason they either believe TV or the late owner and when "fair" offers are made the families throw guy who may have been friends out and accuse them of lo balling them. I've witnessed this first hand more than once.

Squablow and RRanchero Rick like this.

7. Jimbo- Because some peep's use this as an outlet to flip cars. They are just here for an outlet....Nothing more,and believe me,this is not the only site that they list on. I guess if I wanted to sell something, I'de have a # ,and run with it...... In time,if it doesn't go,i'de lower to attract interest. But- some peep's are firm,and they can sit on their #. Some fish,some don't have to sell,but want too. Some have disposable money and don't care if it goes or not.Some think their's is gold.......
    With some things=cars, it is what it is........ We can accept,or deny. No sense in bitching (not you) about what someone will/wont take......... We have to take it for what it is, and it's OUR choice to pull the trigger........
    Iv'e found a lot of things that i'de like to own, BUT- the numbers are way outta touch for the craftsmanship, or actual product....just misrepresentation.......... it is what it is now a days....... WE can voice, but isn't gonna change people/their ways....... Just perspective.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Yep, there are many reasons this happens, bragging owners, know-it-alls trying to be-all-that, and misunderstandings about how condition can really affect value come to mind.

9. chromelady

chromelady

A used car salesman once told me, THERE'S AN ASS FOR EVERY SEAT. Words of WISDOM?

Don't give up your BUYER just hasn't found YOU yet!

INVISIBLEKID and thegreenbuzzer like this.
  10. Lets not forget the classic "I've been offered way more for it than I'm asking for it now". Or the ever popular, "All my buddies say I should ask more."

11. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well if any of you guys are sitting on a nice 30/31 or 33/34 coupe and cant sell it, reach out. :)

clem, Hemiman 426 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  12. chopped

chopped

Don't expect me to bail you out because you paid $200.00 an hour for someone to sand for you.

13. I looked through the cars for sale in the HAMB classifieds yesterday. I was fairly astounded at the number of cars in the 35, 40, 50 and up to 100,000 dollar range. Of course, there are some major projects and undesirables for 10 grand or less, but finished cars are typically more than I would spend. I think a lot of guys are on fishing expeditions looking for a tuna.

31hotrodguy, jnaki, Gasser 57 and 4 others like this.
  14. 392

I had to dig this topic back up considering issue with virus. Personally i think market for these toys are tanking and will never return, or if it rebounds it going to take years and never get back to where it was. I’m sure all of us have lost big time in last 6 weeks and are more into dollars than spending dollars. I could be wrong but just a gut feeling. Weird times.

Gasser 57 and 49' bomb! like this.
  15. ..it all boils down to supply and demand;...there are more and more cars built or being built than there are buyers who can afford them.

16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I know I'll get crucified for this but you have just described what sounds like the most boring existence a human being could have , a severe case of " stay inside the lines" . I can only hope that you stepped outside the lines and participated in " unscripted activities" to keep your heart beating. I'm truly sorry for you ...

papadaddio, NWRustyJunk and Squablow like this.
  17. Happiness has many faces. Judgement has only one....Grasshopper

bubba55, lonejacklarry and Thor1 like this.
  18. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I guess .....

19. town sedan

town sedan

"What about those who don't have what I've got, are they victims of my leisure?" -D Boone.
    -Dave

20. 19fordy,..you are preaching to a small minority on the HAMB,...too late for most of us.

papadaddio likes this.
  21. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just sold my 30 A Roadster. I advertised here and on Hemmings Online. Got good immediate responses from both ads. Ended up selling it to a Hemmings party. The Roadster is a nice one, needing no work to drive and show, and was priced to reflect this condition. I could have asked for more, but my thinking is that good stuff priced right will sell quickly. Thanks.

22. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Gosh, all I can say is you misread the entire meaning of what I said. Even if you lead a life of rebellion, there reaches a point when planning ahead becomes essential.

23. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Never did. at 72 , no reason to, ain't much " ahead " left, no point in worrying now , had a good run...to each his own ...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    papadaddio likes this.
  24. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Yes indeed.
    At 77 I have also had a good run. I wish you all the very best and many more miles.

mnjeff likes this.
  25. tractorguy

tractorguy

Just gotta ask......what will the huge drops in the stock market do to the hot rod, custom, car collecting hobby ?
    More people looking to "invest" in something other than stocks and bonds......or.......dampening effect since lots of "wealth" disappeared over the last several weeks ? Have fun.

49' bomb! likes this.
  26. When the market takes multiple hits like it has been lately you can bet a lot of disposable income went up in smoke with it. Probably won't matter much to guys on the lower or upper end of the food chain but I'd bet you'll see some price adjustments on the mid level cars if they really want to move them.

49' bomb!, olscrounger and tractorguy like this.
  27. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

I have been looking for a nice driver 28 or 29 Tudor for a while, either to street roddy or junk. Still looking !

28. jnaki

jnaki

Bluefin Tuna Sells For $3 Million
    A sushi restaurant footed the bill at over $5,000 per pound. The fish usually sells for up to $40 per pound, though the price can fluctuate to more than $200 per pound.

Hey C,

We like to look at the HAMB listings to see if something will click for both of us. If I see something that looks well built, fits our needs, it becomes a topic of discussion for us. But, lately, there are more cars that continue to show up week after week with not much fluctuation in the prices. Some people are thinking of what they put into the build, how many hours of work and the time it took to find all of the stuff that went into the car.

A recent Chevy coupe from Long Beach was advertised a little high and waiting several weeks, the price got lower and finally, it is a good buy for what is in the build. It should go fast. The higher dollar advertisements tend to make people nervous and they shy away. The price range from 20-25 seems like it would attract more buyers for those good builds. A little anxiety with all of the BTT posts seems a little desperate.

It has been a long-standing idea that costs to build never get back to the owner. The sale after finishing and driving for a while goes down during the sale or auction. It is called depreciation. Despite what people see on TV for the overpriced cars on the auction sites, a lot of them roll off of the floor unsold. That is a major factor in most hot rods being priced at what they are in most classified ads in the HAMB and other websites. (Chevy wagon a good buy at 25-30k, but would get laughed off of the auction due to a reserve. The tell-tale receipts would make it a very high dollar sale…)

Jnaki

My wife and I haven’t had a hot rod for many years. But, if the cost was appropriate and the build was solid, we would consider it as a third vehicle. The drawback being that we live in a small house with a two car garage and we don’t like to leave any car outside. The idea of tooling around in a hot rod sedan, roadster or an old station wagon with modern upgrades would be right up our alley, so to speak.

If anyone thinks about a modified old car with all of the modern amenities for safety and handling, it would run in the 30k-40k range. So, would anyone like to spend the same amount on a used, pre-owned car off of any used car lot for the same amount? To us, if we wanted a hot rod or modified station wagon, one of our daily drivers would have to go. That is difficult as we have grown attached to both of our current cars.

29. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still for sale. $20k [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

30. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Very nice but wrong Year