Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Short Ford Oil Filter Exmple

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LM14, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Bamamav, both you and LM14, have posted (here or other threads) that the early Windsors used a passenger side inlet for the water pump. Do they have same bolt pattern to the timing cover(1970's)? Are they the same length, so pulleys interchange?
    Thanks for any input.

2. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

I am using a Ford Racing short water pump, v belt, Walker Rad, mechanical fan
    DSCN2866.JPG

Gnater likes this.
  3. Dirk35

Dirk35

Ahhh. Good to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. George

George

I use Wix or Motorcraft, but since many are familiar with Fram...here goes. Standard Ford is the PH8A, the standard Mopar is the PH43, it's just a little shorter, not 1/2. Crown Vic Police Interceptors with 351 and an oil cooler used the PH 16(If I remember right) it's a little shorter still. As has been shown the filter for the '70 Renault R-10 is the shortest.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

even with a short filter can be hard to remove without making a mess - if have a full fender ride look at using a remote filter

woodsnwater likes this.
  6. This is the route that Ive taken with my Centre Door, I also used the same on my COE truck. It makes taking off the filter so easy and less mess too.

woodsnwater likes this.
  7. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

My frame was built by Pete and Jakes. I actually raised the engine 5/8" with spacers between the motor mount and block to gain some fan clearance. This is the currently available replacement timing cover offered for non-reverse rotation water pumps. It's an early '70's piece sold by people like Speedway Motors. Very nice piece. I use a '69 water pump. It was in stock at my local parts store. Easy to get. My pulleys are the chrome ones sold by Speedway. The trick to getting them to work together on a 5.0 (or other 4 bolt lower pulley engine) is using a Pro Products balancer. They run about $100 and have both the 3 and 4 bolt patterns on them for the lower pulley. Depending on your engine, Pro Products sells several different depth spacers but they are all 4 bolt. I have an 1/8" plate spacer I made behind my lower pulley to get things to line up.

Check my answer above. I used a '69 pump to get the right side outlet. Lets me use a cheaper and more common Chevy radiator and gets the hot water away from the fuel pump area along with less congestion by the oil filter. Just makes life easier. The '69 pump isn't old enough to need the very early style timing cover, it takes a common cover that ran from the mid 60's up to the 80's/90's depending on engine.

I just wanted to share a visual of the shorter filter. The one I showed in the original post is made by Wix for Car Quest and is the same filter. I knew there were several depths out there. We used to have to run the Mopar filter on one of our race cars for space but they are barely shorter than the FL1A. Maybe 3/8 to 1/2" max. We even found some of the Mopar filters that were no shorter than the Ford filter depending on brand. We actually used to open the box and make sure it was shorter. I needed a good inch or so to clear the plumbing and wiring that runs past the end of the filter, this one works great for me. Plenty of room.

SPark

woodsnwater likes this.
  8. greybeard360

greybeard360

For reference...

FL 1 A is standard Ford filter.
    FL 300 is the short version.
    FL 400 is same length as FL 1 A, but smaller diameter.
    There is another one that is short and small diameter but I don't remember the number on it.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

This question still looking for an answer -

10. egads

egads

@Boneyard51, Do you know the meaning of the word " walla "?:eek:( not trying to be the spelling police but I think the word you want is voila, completely different meaning )

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    Desoto291Hemi, Boneyard51 and X38 like this.
  11. RmK57

RmK57

12. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

Attached Files:

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

LM14 answered up above. Bolt pattern is same on all pumps regardless of rotation, so you want to make sure your timing cover matches your pump. Some say you can't run a standard pump on a reverse timing cover because the water won't circulate right, others report no problems....so, your mileage may vary. IIRC, covers designed for drivers outlet usually don't have the dipstick boss drilled, if they even have it at all. Something you have to watch if putting a different cover on with a front oil sump pan .

woodsnwater likes this.
  14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Yes, “walla” means” there, I have found it! “. This why I used it there. It is a common word used now, it was derived from the word “voila” but now has it’s own spot in the dictionary! I know of no other meaning of the word here in the South. Words mean different things to different people, based on time , ethnic background, and geographical location.
    What really gets me is this new game becoming popular! “ Cornhole”! Now ,to me ,if someone asks me to play “ cornhole” there’s going to be a fight!

Bones

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    Desoto291Hemi and charleyw like this.
  15. egads

egads

It means " by ALLAH " (sorry to get off topic )

Beanscoot likes this.
  16. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Yeah, it's long been a mispronunciation or misspelling of "Voilà" (which is often misspelled "Viola") which is a musical instrument. The HAMB sure is educational.

Desoto291Hemi, egads and David Gersic like this.
  17. Taran Engle

Taran Engle

What did you use for the pulley setup. Looks Exactly what I am looking for? Thank you

18. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

I prefer OEM filters - my 351W in my 39 Ford Coupe - has used the FL-300 for 65,000 miles and 25 years of use.
    1/2 the size of FL1A to allow clearance.

19. dwollam

dwollam

Since several mention the green color, we used to call it "landlord green", meaning the landlord dumped all the left over paint together and that's what color it came out! Nothing against that color!

Dave

Truck64 likes this.
  20. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

OilFilterAdapter.jpg
    close up of the 90* adapter

21. Dirk35

Dirk35

I pulled the pulleys off of about 5-6 different 302s and still couldn't get everything to line up so I gave up and called March Pulleys. If you look close on my 302, I have a 3 belt crank pulley because I originally had power steering on the truck, but I ditched that and went to a manual rack. I think I had like 30 different pulleys and still couldn't make them work together since there are so many different combinations/configurations that Ford made over the years. Their Tech had me measure a bunch of different locations and they sent me all of the pulleys I needed. Worked perfectly. Wish I wouldn't have spent so much time searching for factory pulleys before I finally gave up. They have options that don't look all "billet-ly".

22. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

I’ve used a Chrysler filter on a couple SBFs in Model As. Works great and a Wix is black. 7374D6C8-865D-44B0-BDA7-F319839F1251.jpeg

Desoto291Hemi likes this.