Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects And So It Begins

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Piewagn, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Piewagn

Piewagn

Well....only had time to paint the column today. I ordered the wrong frigging spring shackles, so delay on reassembly.....thanks for checkin’ in fellas! IMG_1663.JPG IMG_1664.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Piewagn

Piewagn

Got some painting done today....waiting on shackles for axle reassembly..... I should have the chassis on wheels soon! Also cleaned up a set of headlamps I got a while ago, they have the small lamps on top with GREAT lenses! Not sure if they’re too big or how they’ll look. No manufacturers name on them. Whaddya think about the lamps? Thanks fellas! IMG_1669.JPG IMG_1672.JPG IMG_1673.JPG IMG_1674.JPG IMG_1671.JPG

3. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Lights look like they are in good shape. Hard to tell the size, without a reference to size.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Piewagn

Piewagn

Aside from some pitting which is no biggie, they need wiring, the old cloth wire is raggedy. They're longer than the standard Unity lamps, I think they came off a truck with fender mounted lamps. Won't know how they look until they're mounted up. Thanks Aaron!

loudbang and Aaron D. like this.
  5. Piewagn

Piewagn

Bearing won’t fit with felt and cup in place....any input fellas? IMG_1679.JPG

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  6. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

I never even heard of that swap/show? New one for me.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I believe the felt and cup go on top of the spindle.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Piewagn

Piewagn

That would explain it! I did a quick search for a diagram....but got side tracked before I found anything. I think you may be correct, I will see if I can verify it. Thanks for your input!

loudbang likes this.
  9. Piewagn

Piewagn

It's in N.E. Philly.....it's a fun show with valve cover races and slot car drags, along with vendors. I think it's in May....I'll find out.....

loudbang likes this.
  10. Piewagn

Piewagn

You are correct Sir and I am a jackass! :D:p
    [​IMG]

11. koolbeans

koolbeans

Big mike 1968, kiwijeff and loudbang like this.
  12. Piewagn

Piewagn

Any seat in the short bus after that one! :D The last set I've done has to be more than 20 years ago.....Of course the stock Model A has the bearing on top so that was no good for a reference....There was some head scratching, but once again, the Brothers on the HAMB bailed me out!

Big mike 1968, loudbang and koolbeans like this.
  13. Piewagn

Piewagn

Geez....and see?! I didn't even read which post you quoted! :confused::D Yeah, hasn't been a great week for the old noggin.....:confused:

loudbang and koolbeans like this.
  14. 97

Atwater Mike and loudbang like this.
  15. Piewagn

Piewagn

loudbang likes this.
  16. Piewagn

Piewagn

King pins and spindles installed....finally! Blasted and painted the wishbone too....slowly but surely I’m creepin’ up on it! Thanks for hangin’ out fellas!!!
    IMG_1683.JPG IMG_1684.JPG IMG_1686.JPG

17. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

You're making great progress.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks Aaron! Appreciate you stoppin' by!

loudbang likes this.
  19. Piewagn

Piewagn

Engine mounts revisited.....I can weld them in now! Front suspension coming along, got the spring and wishbone installed....
    Now, I don’t know if anyone has done this before, but I’m using the piece of the firewall I cut out to make a sort of “dog box” recess. I only need 3 inches of setback to get the clearance I need. We’ll see how it goes and if it doesn’t work, I’ll move on to a different method. I think this will work though.... thanks for poppin’ in fellas! IMG_1687.JPG IMG_1690.JPG IMG_1691.JPG IMG_1692.JPG IMG_1694.JPG IMG_1695.JPG

20. loudbang

loudbang

Axle and parts looking good. :)

1947knuck and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thank you Sir Loud! Greatly appreciated!! I should have it bolted in by the end of the week, then I can mount up some tires and have myself a roller! Getting excited here!!

loudbang likes this.
  22. Piewagn

Piewagn

Finished trimming the dash and tacked it in place and tacked my firewall recess in place! I transferred what I had tacked onto the section of firewall I cut out to a nice new piece of sheet metal....once I had it welded to the new sheet metal I cut the tacks off the old section and voila....a matching piece that fit right into place! I still have to make the side sections and secure the lower end of it, but I think it came out nice....
    Thanks for poppin’ in fellas! IMG_1704.JPG IMG_1707.JPG IMG_1709.JPG IMG_1710.JPG IMG_1711.JPG

23. Mart

Mart

Looking good.

You need to do one thing though. Take out the kingpin locking bolts and install them from the front so the nuts are on the back. Make sure you use the special long acorn nuts for them too, as they are the lock stops. Some kingpin sets do not have the special nuts. You can get them separately though.

Mart.

Chalkie and loudbang like this.
  24. Piewagn

Piewagn

Some odds and ends today.... I was rifling through some guys 25 cent bin at Hershey and came up with some good trinkets....like 3 of the brake shoe retainer plates, of course I needed a 4th, so I made one of those today. Also made the side panels for my firewall relief. It’s tacked into place and I’ll be happy with it until I have to grind all those welds down! I will be filling in the gogillion other holes in it as well........thanks for the visit fellas! Adjustments.JPG IMG_1714.JPG Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG IMG_1719.JPG IMG_1720.JPG

Tim, Big mike 1968, brEad and 2 others like this.
  25. Piewagn

Piewagn

Will do! I guess someone put them in backwards when they were last serviced, I just put them in the way they came out. Looking closer at the diagram, you are correct, it does show them going in from the rear. I do have the long acorns that I will be reusing. Thanks Mart!

Tim and loudbang like this.
  26. Piewagn

Piewagn

Continuing with the firewall, I patched the GIANT hole next to the recess. Whom ever cut that hole, but into the factory bead that is rolled into the firewall, so I remedied that situation. I want it to look uniform when I’m done, if I had just welded the patch, it woulda looked like shyte! Finished the welding around the recess and filled some small holes. I pick a task every day and try to complete it after work, slow and steady.....I’ll get there....thanks for stoppin’ by fellas!! IMG_1729.JPG IMG_1730.JPG IMG_1732.JPG IMG_1739.JPG IMG_1742.JPG IMG_1744.JPG IMG_1743.JPG IMG_1746.JPG

27. Piewagn

Piewagn

More cowl and firewall work. I’m done with the recess aside from grinding the welds down. I made a patch for the body mount on the right side, I still need to fabricate the lower portion of the jamb reinforcement/sub-frame mount....while grinding away, an ancient sheet of waterslide decals came bumbling outta somewhere in the cowl, I had to chuckle ......thanks for poppin’ in fellas!! IMG_1749.JPG IMG_1748.JPG IMG_1750.JPG IMG_1751.JPG IMG_1753.JPG IMG_1754.JPG

Tim, kiwijeff, brEad and 3 others like this.
  28. Piewagn

Piewagn

Shot from outside the shop, where there’s loads of materials the boss said “help yerself!”......I’m taking him up on that offer! IMG_1755.JPG

29. Piewagn

Piewagn

Engine mounts finally in place....I’ll weld them up completely after disassembly when I prep the frame for paint and final assembly.....little bites at a time.....thanks for checkin’ in fellas! IMG_1757.JPG IMG_1758.JPG IMG_1759.JPG IMG_1760.JPG

30. Piewagn

Piewagn

Ok....so I went backwards a little today...Mart had pointed out to me that I had the king pin locking pins in the wrong way.....the hole is tapered so I had to dismantle the axle assembly and flip the axle. I’ll use this opportunity to paint the spindles with Cast Blast for some contrast. I also cut the mounting bracket I made for the steering box off. I notched the frame and managed to move the box up some more and keep the shifter linkage aligned. The arrow on the pitman arm is pointing to the line I marked which is the where the ball would be on the stock pitman arm. I’m roughly 1.5” lower with the F100, so I should be fine and my column shift will work! I will be trimming the top of the bracket off and tidying everything up during final frame prep......Thanks for the visit fellas!!!! IMG_1765.JPG IMG_1766.JPG IMG_1767.JPG IMG_1768.JPG IMG_1769.JPG