Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "THE" Truck Tail Lights Thread..... Lets see pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, Jan 31, 2020.

1. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Lets see all trucks out there and what you used for tail lights. Post your pictures and also tell us what they are and/or where you got them. If you converted the bulbs or switched bulb types, tell us about that too. I'm trying to decide on tail lights for two different trucks and want some ideas...........;)

ccain likes this.
  2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

What kinda trucks you got ? It makes quite a bit of difference.

3. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lousy pic but... Motorcycle taillights with blue dots, and plate mounted on a hinged bar that retracted when ignition was off...for that "drag truck" look:D.
    drag.jpg

4. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I have an off topic truck thats going to keep its stock tail lights. Additionally I have a 56 Chevy and a 49 Chevy that I'm building. I want to see whats been used on basically any older truck though. Lots of things can be adapted and modified, so it doesn't need to be a Chevy.........;)

5. trollst

trollst

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL you don't want to see mine as they only serve as a bad example.
    Taillights for my 48 this time around are still up there on the undecided list.
    As cool as they look frenched into the fenders that often blocks the view of one or the other light from someone who is not centered behind the truck following you down the road .
    I rather like the looks of the 47/53 Suburban tail lights when placed down low on the bed sides of a Truck or the bullet shape late 30's Chevy car tail lights. Clean simple design that looks like they belong there but add a custom touch.

48 Chevy car tail lights or shoebox ford 49/50 tail lights under the tailgate in the panel are interesting but the Chevy ones have been done a lot.
    The guy who bought my 51 Merc took out the frenched Caddy bullets and put in 56 Chevy bullet lenses (no idea of what he used for light buckets) that just peeked out of the frenched housings I made. You see maybe a half inch of the light from the side with that setup. Those lenses are pretty inexpensive and it would be fairly easy to make frenched housings in the the fenders or in the panel under the bed or in a rolled pan.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    ekimneirbo likes this.
  7. das858

das858

Here's mine , '38 Plymouth truck . Tail lights came from the NAPA accessory catalog . IMG_2112_NsUv_1.jpeg

Okie Pete, akoutlaw, vtx1800 and 6 others like this.
  8. 4speed411

4speed411

Pontiac cups, reversed Studebaker stands, trimmed Corvette bullet lenses on a '41 Hot Rod Pickup . IMG_20180810_203048340.jpg

9. Nude Stude Dude

Nude Stude Dude

Nothing too exciting here on my '49 Stude. Good luck with your builds....

PICT0043.JPG

10. LAROKE

LAROKE

I haven't started the rebuild yet but I'm putting '49 Merc taillights on my '55 Chevy 1st Series 3100. It's an old trick used on fat fender ford trucks as well.

[​IMG]

11. greaseSlinger57

greaseSlinger57

Okie Pete, vtx1800, Hotrodmyk and 6 others like this.
  12. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

13. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No one seemed to notice, there is a fucking BEAR hanging around Troll's place.

fuckingbear.jpg

-Abone.

14. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got these 47 Kaiser lights for sale...They are almost like 47 Chevy.. They would look bad ass.. I’m putting a pair on my 51

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  15. fleetside66

fleetside66

1962 Chrysler Imperial, with custom lenses. P1013751.jpeg

16. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

IMG_0581.JPG
    ‘41 Chevy repos in a custom pan I made.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Okie Pete, ccain, olscrounger and 2 others like this.
  17. 4speed411 that is a REALLY CLEAN combination!

1 more car I promise, Rex Winter
    Dry n windy Lubbock TX

18. My wife's 37 Chevy pickup has rollpan with 2 beehive taillights on each side. I've picked up 2 more (making 3 per side) and a sequential activator. When I get them on an wired up I think sequential signal lights will be eye catching. Sorry no pics yet.

1 more car I promise, Rex Winter
    Dry n windy Lubbock TX

19. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. gene-koning

gene-koning

I put LED tear drop tail/brake/turn lights I bought off Ebay on the back lower edge of the stake pockets on my 39 Dodge. My computer crashed, I have no pictures on this one. Gene

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Do Suburbans count?
    20180818_163810.jpg 20180818_163731.jpg

Edit
    I should add that though not in place at time of taking photo the hinged tailight opening includes the gas tank filler, the access door was originally located in in the quarter panel.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Okie Pete, ccain, ekimneirbo and 2 others like this.
  22. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Yep ! Most Certainly..............

23. My '53. '59 Caddies french in like they were made for the truck!
    1 Glass packs.jpg 2 measure up.jpg 3 measure back.jpg 4 draw hole.jpg 5 mark tube.jpg 6 welded cup.jpg 7 side view finished.jpg 8 top view finished.jpg 9 finished full view.jpg P1010562.JPG

Okie Pete, X-cpe, Driver50x and 3 others like this.
  24. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

This 1942 yellow/white Chevy pickup truck showed up on one of those rare sighting days. The paint job stood out for blocks in advance. The detail construction was pretty good, with a lot of custom touches added in for looks and functionality. A shop truck, perhaps?

upload_2020-2-3_12-10-2.png
    In researching old cars and parts for a friend, I came across this ad with the 1942 Chevy truck as a logo.
    upload_2020-2-3_12-11-7.png
    But, in recent drive by cruises, it has been missing from its normal parking spot in the “surf ghetto” of the OC. It was always a nice thing to drive in the area and see this bright, cool looking Chevy truck sitting by the side of the road. It certainly brightened up that drab industrial tract with some needed color.

Jnaki

There were other trucks normally sitting by the side of the road, but for the last several weeks, they all have been missing from their normal spots. Not another business going by the wayside? Hope not, as these trucks add something special to the whole neighborhood. By the way, the truck is for sale… excellent price, great build.

Okie Pete, ccain and ekimneirbo like this.
  25. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-8-15_4-9-53.png

Hello,

One of our recent sightings of old hot rods and trucks was this cool looking 1932 Ford flatbed truck. The first thing we noticed was the cool Moon Discs. Just a few days ago, we followed a more modern flatbed truck down by the coast and the bed just had some reflectors, with a small stop light near the license plate. It was difficult to see the rear brake light on the more modern version.

This old 32 Ford flatbed truck had some rear tail lights that would obviously command a following distance away, as well as leaving a safe stopping area between the vehicles. It was well done and looked like it was a factory addition.

Jnaki
    With all of the small custom touches, even this truck would be considered a mild custom. YRMV

upload_2021-8-15_4-10-42.png

Okie Pete and ccain like this.
  26. Can't really see how I mounted them in this photo but its a home made bracket made out of polished aluminum. These are repro 37 Ford tail lights. c.JPG

27. Lincoln Zephyr
    IMG_2296.JPG

Okie Pete, treb11, akoutlaw and 2 others like this.
  28. '63 Impala fit perfectly, just had to drill two holes in the housing for the screws. The trim ring is home made from the lip cut off of a stainless steel cat food bowl. Using standard old 1157 incandescent bulbs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wish the tailgate were a bit more conspicuous. I'm not sure if people know what make the truck is. :p:D:D:D

Okie Pete, X-cpe, jnaki and 1 other person like this.