Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Any advice on how to fix this?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flyn schlosser, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

When finished with the repair-install a SERPENTINE PULLEY SYSTEM on your motor:;;((((/-:(“—-Excuse me —ENGINE so the focus will be on that instead!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19Eddy30 likes this.
  2. Truckedup

Truckedup

Hmm, the frame is what, 11 gauge? .125? Depending on the skills of the OP with a hand held grinder it might be gouged mess removing the brackets.. ..But maybe the OP is skilled so ignore my commnet...

3. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

loudbang, clem, Atwater Mike and 8 others like this.
  4. If it was my car I would just leave it alone and forget about it. But I’m lazy like that.

5. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

One thing I forgot to say about the cut off wheel. I prefer using a medium size electric angle grinder with a 6" wheel. This gives you some ability to flex the wheel slightly as you grind after the plate is removed. It also allows you to use the edge of the wheel to slice thru the weld. parallel to the frame. The downside is that you can't use a wheel guard to protect your eyes, so you will need goggles or a face shield. I have found that I can control what I'm doing much better with this wheel. May have to make a small adapter to get the center hole to fit your grinder. If you use it on a large grinder it makes it a little more difficult to finese the cut because you are fighting the weight of the grinder as your arms tire.

Someone mentioned that the rivits might be just phony bumps instead of real rivits. Just look at the inside of the frame rail to verify if they go all the way thru the frame.

Here are the wheels I use and have had good luck with. I bought mine on Ebay. Bought 100 cost about $1 ea.
    Cutoff wheel.jpg

Hnstray and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

I appreciate the info .Thank you sounds like great advice

7. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

Thank you for the reply's The rivets are real I know how to use a cutoff wheel and grinder. I just a little worried because it is the side profile of the frame. I'm probably just over thinking it.

redoxide, jimgoetz and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Trace the welds with a cutoff wheel, hope that the guy that did them didnt achive the best penetration. then get out your chisel and bfh, once scab is removed grinder/flap wheel smooth and go

J. A. Miller likes this.
  9. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I suggest you weld a big nut over the cut-off tie rod end....and just tell folks it's your Frame Width Adjuster:D

10. oldolds

oldolds

I would just grind it and knock it off as necessary. If the holes were drilled nicely I might not even try to fill them in. Just another story the car has to tell.

jimgoetz and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I agree your over thinking it. the 32 box was mounted thru the frame just below the square plate I just welded a plug into the large hole and welded up the small ones. No one could ever see this so called patch unless they stripped the frame.
    DSCN1102.JPG

12. prpmmp

prpmmp

What in Sam Hill has happen to the HAMB!!! Pete

13. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Looks like a lot of guys got cut off their hot rod fund so they can buy valentines , and are now very grumpy!

14. rocknwrench

rocknwrench

all these guys like it when someone else works too hard. grind off the welds and chisel off that fish plate? nah, cut out the whole square around it. youll hafta do something about that sleeve , but thats easily handled via torch , step drill , what have you. either way , your covering a hole or multiples when done. work smarter , not harder. if your welding and grinding work are up to par ,either way will look good or look bad.

15. Budget36

Budget36

Sorry, but you're wrong.

Let me ask you this.

Say you have a bullet hole in the door of a '32 "whatever".

Patch the hole, or replace the door?

If you reply "it's not the same thing"..., yes it it. Even cutting the whole section out of the side of the frame that is like the OP has shown, and welding in a new one, there would be nothing structurally compromised in the frame.

16. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

like this !!
    I have welded a half frame rail on driver side from steering box hole forward ,"A" ( missing rail). Most As & 32 frames brake crack there ,from original box, weak Area on a 32 Ford, drill hoes @ end of crack ,V it ,weld back up. 54F855D7-3EBE-4B57-AF45-E1708B3B89B7.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  17. Grind the weld and they will fall on the floor, then fill the hole.

reagen, redoxide and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

Agree with cutoff wheel. I'd avoid hammer and chisel until most if not all weld is removed, 32 frame rails look crappy dented up and you might just make more work for yourself.

flyn schlosser likes this.
  19. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Good god ya would think this was a patch on the Golden Gate Bridge.

Grind the welds off with something gentle and fix whatever carnage is under it.

49ratfink, Mark Yac, Dedsoto and 12 others like this.
  20. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

Thats awesome. lol

triumph 1, 48fordnut and hotrodjack33 like this.
  21. I miss the old HAMB.

22. I’ll tell you what,,,
    Bring it here and we’ll fix it up nice as can be, then we tell RPJ we changed the whole rail. Hell we can tell him we changed the whole frame. Maybe send him the bill too.

23. Check will be in the mail Skippy.

24. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

This should have been finished by now! Maybe we should debate it another week? Highly complex repair!

49ratfink and 19Eddy30 like this.
  25. ironrodder

ironrodder

Would you drive across a highway bridge that has a large section( say 3ft. by 2ft.) cut out and replaced? If you drive on I75 through Ohio you have. Many other states also do it. I know because I' be done those repairs.
    I would be no more afraid of a frame I repaired that way. I'd tell the next owner and ask him to find it.

26. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

They welded portions of the Big Mackinaw bridge together and that seems just fine!

48fordnut likes this.
  27. Should be about rusted off by now....

28. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

I think the frame is junk! Should be crushed and given to the scrap pickers for free. It will never be right! It is obviously in a high stress area and any repair will cause it to break violently in half at the most inopportune time. NOT!

49ratfink likes this.
  29. You guys might be shocked to find out how often big truck frames are cut and welded back together. They haul lots of weight as well. As long as it’s done properly, strength will not be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. pitman

pitman

Plug weld holes, grind, finish, paint.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=41204
    Note Ed's frame holes in Mysterion,
    The web portion(s) not stressed in same manner as the top & btm flanges. (Open up, to see images. Quite a series)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Mark Yac and patmanta like this.