Register now to get rid of these ads!

How Did Nazi Germany Symbols Become

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Youngin', Jul 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

The net is a dangerous place to try and research history...like I tell people all the time double check any net source.

The neo nazis and other groups have some sites on the net that are visited by high volumes of people that are not correct and are not in identified by who did it really and the agenda involved.

I noticed some crazy stuff not too long ago because people are all interested in the Templers due to that book/movie and some sites on the Templers people have put up are full of crazy nonsense.

2. George

George

When Finland got its independance from Russia at the end of WW1, thier Air Force adopted the swastica as it's emblem. The Nazis hijacked the swastica the same way the KKK hijacked the CS battle flag.

3. Back in the 60's when I was a kid growing up I bought a "Surfer Cross". In my mind I just thought it looked neat. I don't know whatever happened to it as I had forgot all about it until I read this post. ( I guess that the surfers wore them because it showed they were brave surfing some of the big waves) Anyway, my 2 cents worth.:D Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy

4. Well!! That does it. Nazis, facists and camp followers, the lot of you. I'm putting some multi colored daisies on my car now! Harrrrumph!

5. Modly

Modly
    from Michigan

Actually, different branches of the klan have different flags. Many (but not all) use the Confederate battle flag as a symbol of love for the south.

I'm not affiliated with the klan (I hate christians, so I would not be welcome with them anyways, nor would want anything to do with them), just info from somebody that knows.

6. DrJ

DrJ

So are "Books".
    In College while taking a Graduate course in African Art History I was researching for a paper on the origins of the walls in Zimbabwe and the Prof didn't like my Bibliog.. and suggested another author.
    I read this other author and found he not only disagreed with the one I was reading, but named and denigrated the other guys work in his book!
    Seems they both had their "theory" and went out and found only the facts they wanted to use to substantiate them. (like "knowing" about the presence of WMD's?)
    So, I did my paper on how you really can't trust any one author's "historical findings" unless you know their agenda, much like you've said.
    The Prof was not happy that I put down all of them either

7. A guy on myspace emailed me calling me a neo nazi racist... went int making death threats after all the name calling. (for some odd reason the nutcases always single me out) All this BS because of the iron cross picture in my background..

This was my reply (lots of informative links)
    read this site
    http://www2.prestel.co.uk/church/oosj/cross.htm
    http://www.netpages.free-online.co.uk/gms/sinister.htm
    http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/smom).html

http://www.fireweb.com/maltese_cross.htm
    The Story of the Maltese Cross

The badge of a Firefighter is the Maltese Cross. The Maltese Cross is a symbol of protection, a badge of honor, and its story is hundreds of years old. When a courageous band of crusaders, known as the Knights of St. John, fought the Saracens for possession of the Holy Land, they were faced with a new weapon not known to European fighters. It was a simple but horrible device of war. The Saracens weapon was fire.

As the crusaders advanced on the walls of the city, they were bombarded with glass bombs containing naphtha. When they were saturated with the liquid, the Saracens threw flaming torches into the crusaders. Hundreds of knights were burned alive while others risked their lives in an effort to save their kinsmen from painful fiery deaths. Thus these men became the first Firemen, and the first of a long line of Firefighters. Their heroic efforts were recognized by fellow crusaders who awarded each other with a badge of honor similar to the cross firefighters wear today.

Since the Knights of St. John lived for close to four centuries on the island of Malta, in the Mediterranean Sea, the cross came to be known as the Maltese Cross. The Maltese Cross is your symbol of protection. It means that the Firefighter that wears this cross is willing to lay down his life for you, just as the crusaders sacrificed their lives for their fellow man so many years ago. The Maltese Cross is a Firefighter’s badge of honor, signifying that he works in courage - a ladder rung away from death.

many symbols have been around long before Hitler used them.
    even the swastika
    http://history1900s.about.com/cs/swastika/a/swastikahistory.htm
    http://www.crystalinks.com/swastika.html

So don't think every using the iron cross is a racist

8. SportsterBobber

SportsterBobber
    from Duluth MN

think Iron Horse magazine started the new trendy ironcross shit back in early 90s then that fucknut jessie jamesass started useing it for his symbol of chumpers INC so now its freaking every where made me take off all the repo greman iron crosses that were on my leather vest for over ten years now gotta agree i hate most things mainstrem & trendy.....

9. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

calm down buddy, read the first post...;)

10. LIMEY

LIMEY

Thats fine with me as long as you keep making the chili i've longed to taste!

after a few beers a four leaf clover sort of resemble's an iron cross.....mmmmm ....... ok i'll shut up mine damen unt heron. ;-)

Kev.

11. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

this is the kind of stuff I'd like to know (now that we have the background).....WHEN,WHERE, WHO crossed the threshold of military/ancient civilizations to hot rods....

i'm going to generalize here...

grandpa said "they didn't have that sh#t on hot rods back then" .....well, i'm sure some/a few did....who were they? outlaw hot rodders after WWII and before the 60's biker gangs.......

then, like has been said, and i don't think it has ever gone away, but with Jesse James using it and the main stream picking up on it.....we see it all over....

cool, what history to we have/know of a hot rod connection......this might be a good question for those that were there.......

12. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

I have a good friend that is a Firefighter. The above story is the same one he told me. Every Firefighter's badge has the Maltese Cross. It is a symbol of courage and protection. Those who get upset when they see one are ignorant.

13. seldom scene

seldom scene

There was a 55 Chevy lowered in front high in rear in early 60's with a rising sun painted on the rear end. The owner was oriental, a surfer and street racer who everyone thought was cool. This was in San Diego, a navy town, where the locals made fun of the swabbies. Flying the "enemy symbols" worked every time!

14. George

George

sounds reasonable, but, there were fire fighters in the Roman Empire. If your building cought fire they would show up. If you had thier fee on you, they put out the fire. If not, they went home!

15. Modly

Modly
    from Michigan

As a FNG, I don't think I have the right to do this yet, but here goes...

There is one mainstream/trendy thing you need to do. Take a typing, and english course at a local community college. Seriously. All those periods you threw in at the end belong somewhere else in that run-on line of post.

I had to quit reading your post about two lines through from the headache it caused me, and I was sober then.

(P.S. Billy Lane runs Choppers Inc, Not Jesse James)

16. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Is this an incomplete sentence? Ok, grammar police, take it elsewhere. This is about hot rodding, not an English lesson. We don't need elitists.........

EDIT: oops, I didn't spell out "Ok" and I'm not sure rodding is an actual term............crap, and I used dots too...

I'm done, you made your point and we get it....

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

C.C.Sinned, Thank you for the history lesson on the Maltese Cross and Firemans badge. When I made an earlier post about them both looking somewhat alike I didn't know their full history. This is turning into a great historical thread.

18. Modly

Modly
    from Michigan

It wasn't intended to be elitist, and I'll let alot of stuff slide without raising any arguement, but this guy has hi-jacked for sale threads, and has driven me nuts with every "lack of periods" post. I had to go pop a damn advil after reading his post. It was really that bad.

19. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

"Alot" isn't one word. It is actually spelled "a lot." Many people get it confused with allot. For example, we have an "allotment" of grant money to spend.

Cool, and understood, just send him a PM or something.......(dang, there I go again....)

20. repoguy

repoguy

I am going to start a new trend.

Instead of all the toughguy and devil symbolism, I'm going to start sporting pins and emblems with kittens, teddy bears, unicorns and such. Barney and the teletubbies will play a major role. Maybe instead of Coop naked devil-lady stickers, I will sport some new age bumper stickers like "blessed be" and "commit random acts of kindness" and whatever.

Sort of a "caring nurterer" approach.

Teletubby stickers - the new swastika.

21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

And walmart ripped off this.....

ha ha ha :)

Attached Files:

22. Never Die

Never Die

I don't think he's worked up, its a song title, Dead Kennedys...

23. Now class,

For those of you that dont know.

The Iron cross has been Germany's National symbol for many years.

The Nazi PARTY symbol was only for the polictical party.

You know like we have elephants and donkeys

Dont confuse the two.

24. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Amen on that, but the web/net really scares me these days. People really think if it is on the web it must be true. Same for books obviously, but the stuff you can get to pop up on a computer now is crazy and takes less time to get. Idiocy on demand.

Then again, many Americans think the brits burned rebs to death in the revolution thanks to the Patriot, that the Scots looked like Pics or Gauls under Wallace fighting England due to Braveheart, and so on...:)

So I guess movies are even worse:rolleyes:

25. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Wow, so I'm not the only one who heard about that... I searched for info but came up dry, as if it never happened :eek: Wasn't it on the blower pulley or something?

26. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Yeah, on the blower pulley...lots of pics of the car show that.

I think last time I saw a recent picture of it nothing was on it, but at some other point it had an iron cross sticker...80's or 90's era IIRC.

27. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

a couple of months ago I saw an Imperial Hemi "A" with a messerschmidt water pump. It also had a finned timing cover that had a special plate made to cover the old water pump hole (or maybe it was an access plate). It said something like "Deutchland Uberalles Car club" on it!! I was kicking myself that I didn't have a camera. I did talk to the owner though and he said The original owner was a German immigrant from Michigan. He built the car in the late 50's into the early 60's...

28. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I'd love to see a pic if it wouldn't upset anyone. I've heard about it for years but never saw it.

29. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

ahhhh. I just gotta say, I really like it when someone else says what I am thinking.
    Why is this little fact so important to me? simple-I had family on BOTH sides of the great war. My Great Uncle was Greman Army before Hitler came into power. For those of you that weren't aware, not all of the troops that HAD to fight against the allies were "up for the cause" of the Nazi Party. basically, you had a choice if you were military. fight, or die. He was one of the lucky ones. He managed to survive the entire war without getting (for lack of a better term) blowed the fuck up.and when it was all over, he went home to a devestated Germany and helped get his and many other lives back to some form of "normal". Imagine his plight! Forced to fight in a war he had no beleif in, and then (after being a P.O.W. himself) going home to a whole lot of nothing.
    My grandfather,however was a u.s. glider pilot. I wonder if they were ever close to one another and didn't know it.(they never met until the 60's, and the language barrier was pretty steep) And My Uncle was several years older than my grandfather.

30. SwampYankee

SwampYankee
    from Dudley MA

Just to clarify.... the three "Iron Cross" marksmanship medals (AKA "bolo badges") are still in use by the U.S. Army to indicate proficiency with various weapons and are awarded according to skill level as follows....

Marksman - plain cross (can hit the side of a barn from the inside)

Sharpshooter - cross w/ target ( can hit same barn from outside with only minor coaching)

Expert - cross/target surrounded by wreath (never shoots own officers accidentally, only on purpose)

The modern German Army or Budeswehr issues a Shutzenschnur or "shooting cord" that can be worn by U.S. enlisted personnel who have qualified with the German weapons. It is a braided silver cord with a Bronze (1st level), silver (2nd level), or Gold Fededral Eagle on an oval background. It is worn hanging from under the epaulet to the lapel.

Of greater intetrest to this crowd would be the similar Driver/Mechanics badges worn next to them on the left breast pocket.

As far as the Swastika goes one of the few surviving examples of a roman shield has them incorporated into its decoration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.