Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Wagon Ford shoulda' built, so we did!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocket's Hot Rod Garage, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My friend alfin32 sent me this link today and told me I had to check it out. He was 100% right. Going to be very nice. Extremely talented builders', for sure.

2. Loving following along on this! Thanks again for taking the time to document all of it. I am continuing to follow along in anticipation. :)

Back when I was in high school, one of my best friends folks had a 55 Nomad and we even drove it some in the local cruise scene. Most kids made fun of the pink (coral and gray) “station wagon”, but we knew it was cool. That same family now has multiple 55-57 Nomads and I got to work on a couple of them over the years. Anyway, I have also always been a fan of the Pontiac Safari wagons and often wondered why Ford didn’t make more of an attempt to compete with the GM offerings even thought the two door hardtop versions were short lived.

Anyway, what you came up with is 100% what Ford should have built.

3. Great skills. Love the results.

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I cannot unsee the final finished car pics , but am more into the technical, the way the work was approached and solutions to the problem areas . I really appreciate your documenting and providing the efforts to produce this thread .

5. 6sally6

6sally6

[QUOTE
    View attachment 4560695
    Mike attacking with the Sawzall!!!
    [/QUOTE]

WHERE...........on God's green earth did you find a junk yard with all those classics piled up like that??!
    WOW!
    6sally6

6. uncle buck

uncle buck

WHERE...........on God's green earth did you find a junk yard with all those classics piled up like that??!
    WOW!
    6sally6[/QUOTE]

Looks like Acme Auto wrecking to me?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

Thanks for posting and creating this thread. I enjoy the journey and the work, thought and skills more than the finished product. And in this case the build is just fantastic that created an outstanding hot rod! You and your shop deserve to be proud of what you accomplished. Others are envious! Nice job!

8. v8flat44

v8flat44

A friend here in northern Ohio started one in the 90s. I helped with some of the work when he got distracted by a 57 Ford sedan delivery. Then he had a stroke & both cars were sold. Both rust free......someone got a REAL DEAL. All of the Crown Vic trim was GR8.......
    Nice to see yours.....awesome!

9. jim snow

jim snow

Like wise. Snowman

10. WHERE...........on God's green earth did you find a junk yard with all those classics piled up like that??!
    WOW!
    6sally6[/QUOTE]

We're lucky enough to have this wrecking yard a couple miles from the shop. Without this it would've been way harder to pull this off.

11. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

This would have been good to unveil at Detroit Autorama, could of at least made the Great 8!

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, this one and the '52 Plymouth with the Chevrolet top show what can be done by folks with a great imagination and extreme skills.

13. I believe the wagon was entered in the "Al Slonaker" award class at the GNRS.
    This is a major award to rival the Ridler.

Mick

14. tbirddragracer

tbirddragracer

We're lucky enough to have this wrecking yard a couple miles from the shop. Without this it would've been way harder to pull this off.[/QUOTE]

Rocketman,
    Did you source the "E" original aircleaner from Texas?
    Ernie

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  15. 6sally6

6sally6

We're lucky enough to have this wrecking yard a couple miles from the shop. Without this it would've been way harder to pull this off.[/QUOTE]

"Sunny Side Wash. must be on the east side of the Cascades?!
    6sally6

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. Rocketman,
    Did you source the "E" original aircleaner from Texas?
    Ernie[/QUOTE]

I believe so. It was quite awhile ago.

17. "Sunny Side Wash. must be on the east side of the Cascades?!
    6sally6[/QUOTE]

Yes, in the Lower Yakima Valley

18. Break from the "body mods" to shave the front bumper license plate depression. As performed by Mike!

Start front.jpg 15369298_678326455682370_2436526045287701339_o.jpg front bumper welded.jpg front bumper smoothed.jpg 17157503_729124310602584_69863086196490698_o.jpg

Outback, BigO, brEad and 30 others like this.
  19. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really like subtle touches like this.

20. Yea, that makes a huge difference in the bumper as I stand and look at mine. Looks great! :D

21. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Car came out great. very impressive build. I really enjoyed checking it out at the show.

22. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

With how subtle the changes are you actually made it look so factory built, I think it went over the judges heads at the show. Like they actually thought Ford made a wagon like this! It must also look perfect with a Byers paint job! Amazing work you guys did!

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  23. The cool thing about the Slonaker is they now judge it like the AMBR. Car must drive to the judging area, they examine the car & do about a 30 min. interview. We where able to explain what was goin' on with the car. They got it and appreciated the amount of work & end result. It was a cool experience. They picked the right car for the winner I believe. The Tim Man built Willys Pickup.

Stogy, chryslerfan55, Thor1 and 6 others like this.
  24. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Very honorable for you to say, still don't take nothing away from the wagon.
    At least in Detroit it would have at least made the Great 8...

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  25. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Great Thread !! The whole build should have its own section. Advanced Body Shop .

loudbang likes this.
  26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Is that the yard close to the hwy heading into Yakima from I-84?
    We went to the 85 NW Nats, good gawd what a BUNCH of old tin, haven't been that way since, heard it was really being thinned out.

27. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

Yes, more pics like this ^^^^^^^^

28. tbirddragracer

tbirddragracer

I believe so. It was quite awhile ago.[/QUOTE]

29. tbirddragracer

tbirddragracer

I believe so. It was quite awhile ago.[/QUOTE]
    You purchased the air cleaner from me. I am so impressed with your car.
    Glad the air cleaner went to such an impressive project.
    Maybe I should sent your money back---- maybe not.
    Ernie

30. Good morning. Continuing on with more tail gate modifications.

IMG_3955.JPG IMG_3949.JPG IMG_3950.JPG

We had to add a little over 1" to the "thickness" of the tail gate in preparation to add the roll down window mechanism & window tracks borrowed from the later Ford full size wagon.

IMG_3951.JPG IMG_3953.JPG IMG_3954.JPG

The top of the inner gate was changed using the narrowed portion of the later Ford wagon gate structure. We had to integrate the new latch handle to work with the stock '55 latches.

IMG_3832.JPG
    IMG_3833.JPG

We also figured out we needed to change the angle at the bottom due to the tailgate being leaned ahead.

BigO, Stogy, 54delray and 16 others like this.