Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New Front and Back Flat Glass

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Jan 30, 2020.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Making templates now for new windshield and rear window. The local glass shop doesn't do auto work but say they can supply the glass and cut it out. There must be building glass that is suitable? What about tint, was auto glass clear in '38? Lastly, just so I don't get reamed too badly, what price range should I expect to pay?

PandJ at CandC (2).JPG

Jet96 and stillrunners like this.
  2. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Find an auto glass shop, do not use anything other than glass for automotive applications. Flat glass shouldn’t cost much, I did a model A a couple years ago for less than $200.

olscrounger and seb fontana like this.
  3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

You want safety glass. Laminated for windshield for sure, can use tempered for back glass and side glass. Tint is up to you unless you're restoring a stocker.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. BJR

BJR

Unless you chopped the vehicle most older glass shops have patterns for the flat glass used in most older cars and trucks.

5. gene-koning

gene-koning

I just bought glass from Bob's Classic Glass for less money then my local guy would cut it for. You have the choice of green tint, gray tint or clear, and they have patterns for standard glass on nearly every vehicle made. They have curved glass as well. Nation wide shipping is pretty cheap as well, and the glass I got was packaged well. Took about 2 weeks for it to arrive at my house once ordered. Gene

6. evintho

evintho

I used Sequoia auto glass up in Windsor. They custom cut, installed and sealed the windshield in my roadster. $400. A little steep I thought but nobody else would touch it!

7. Latigo

Latigo

Bob’s Classic Auto Glass is an Alliance Vendor. You might check his website. Several makes with pricing listed. I haven’t used him but plan to. I’ve seen good reviews on the HAMB.

8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks guys. My windshield opening should be stock American Bantam but the rear opening has been enlarged. I had a plexiglass rear window and have that for a pattern. Door windows are in good shape and clear so I guess I will go with clear.

Will follow up on the suggestions. Thanks again.

9. Just don't tint the windshield.

X38 likes this.
  10. Only use automotive safety glass, it's not that much more expensive and if you were ever in a accident you wouldn't get cut up. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. oldolds

oldolds

Up until a few years ago, any glass shop near me had no problem cutting automotive safety glass for me. Some did a nicer job sanding the edges than others. That was also the difference in price. Those guys were all 10-20 years older than me. Now they are all retired. I am going to have to hunt a new guy and am told it might be hard to find. Most places are just installers. They even get plate glass ordered to size.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had to read your original post a second or third time to decode it.
    If you are talking to Novato glass that belongs to the Matthews family and they are using LAMINATED safety glass there isn't an issue.
    As far as "tint" the light shade of green that is on most older cars is fine.
    Back window can be what ever tint you want but to me dark tint on hot rod windows doesn't look right. It has to be barely tinted or not at all.
    You are going to need exact patterns for both front and back no matter who does the glass unless you take it to a glass shop that handles hot rod glass and is used to making their own patterns.
    You would have to check with Bobs Classic auto glass to see if they would cut glass to your patterns or a shop like this one https://www.sandersreproglass.com/ in Vancouver Wa that specializes in it. I am probably gong to have take my truck down to them as I need tempered glass in the doors depending on what a local shop that has been doing my glass comes up with.
    Or venture further from town as there are a couple of shops in the Sacramento area that cater to the hot rod and custom car folks.

13. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Another vote for Bob’s Classic Glass. He does the nicest work on edges, really no comparison to most shops. He will work with your pattern. Just make sure you have allowed for the rubber correctly.

14. That's crazy that they won't cut glass. I'd lose a lot of money. People are so lazy these days, and they take no pride in their skill. I was painting a car and the owner told me he already had his glass lined up, and it was $100 less than my price. He got the glass alright. I had to work on all of it to get it in the car, and the tops of the door glass would cut your arm. I fixed it. Didn't want somebody thinking shit like that came out of my shop. All it takes is a little pride.

15. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I like your Pickup.. Years back I had a 39 and 40 Bantam coupe and also a 38 Bantam pickup.. Not sure I could fit in one now...

16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I just finished a template out of foam core cardboard. I held it up to the flange, drew a line, then ran some 1/4" tape around the inside of the line and cut. I think it may be a touch small :mad:, the gasket is 1/4" thick between glass and flange slots.

There are a few glass shops local, think I'll take it around and talk to a few guys, make sure they have the right tempered safety glass and will cut. I did call an auto glass shop, like mentioned above they don't cut glass, just order it ready to install. Local would be nice to avoid shipping in the event of my likely srewups. I need to do the rear glass next.

Thanks, yeah it's cozy, especially with my wife and dog in it like the photo above. But surprisingly at 6' 220# I have no problem running errands around town in it. Not much fun on the highway. No seat back, just a blanket against the back wall. On the coupes you can move the seat back.

gg.JPG 0131201115_HDR.jpg 0720171541a.jpg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  17. chargin03

chargin03

If mail order and it does not fit the shipping is not cheap.I had to send mine back twice.

18. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I made a template and had the windshield cut for my RPU. $80

19. When I had the tinted windshield replaced with clear glass, on my RPU, 3 years ago, it cost $120. The guy just cut it out of some glass he had on hand. There should be a good glass place near you. Maybe in Novato?

20. Not too far from you is Tri Valley Auto Glass, in Pleasanton CA. Tony does all the custom glass work for many of the big builders. He can do weed whatever you need from cutting the glass up to installation. Website www.trivalleyautoglass.com
    I used Tony for several of my vehicles when I lived in the area.

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  21. o_O:D

22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Dropped off the template at Novato Glass, $90, ready next week. Clear, laminated safety glass, 7/32". Deep discount for do overs. :oops:

23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Picked up my windshield today, going to install tomorrow I hope. Plan is to put it in the gasket at the bottom, then work it in one side, across the top, then the other side. Sound good?

Trim-Lok makes mention of their special install tool. Any idea what that might be? I was thinking an aluminum blade. How about the old string trick?

chevy57dude likes this.
  24. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

My hat's off to glass installers. Not enough beer in the world to entice me to do that every day. Anyway, mission accomplished. Still have the back glass though. I have no headliner now, and there is no garnish molding, so I may have to figure that out and maybe glue material under the gasket. Still researching.

0210201108a_HDR_resized.jpg

Jet96 likes this.