Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Chassis Engineering bought up by Heidts, but not making axles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I was looking at the Chassis Engineering website and apparently they are out of the axle business. I knew they had been acquired by Heidts, but I assumed they would keep making the dropped axles. Just curious who makes an aftermarket forged, dropped axle?

I think SoCal is making their own now or at least they have one on their website.
    Good thing I had Sid drop my axle a while back.

Cooon likes this.
  2. Pete and Jakes took over the Axle stuff from Chassis Engineering. At least that's what I heard. They are now selling forged axles and not just the cast super bell.

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

Good to know. I was just surprised that they wouldn't want that portion of the business.

4. It made sense to me that they didn't want that portion of C.E. Heidts makes Streetrod stuff, and are known for their Independent front ends, They have solidified themselves in that market, and they make a good product. But none of there stuff is geared toward a car with a solid axle on the front. It looks like C.E. was divided up amongst companies that would carry on C.E. quality.

The one thing that I noticed was that all the Rear leaf spring kits have gone up in price by about 200 dollars. Good thing I wanted a Posies set up anyway.

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

I figured they would have both markets that way. Oh well.

6. Graham08

Graham08

scrap metal 48 and Roothawg like this.
  7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do P&J put the logo on both sides (front and rear) of their axles? There is no caster built into the axle that I am aware of, so assume that they could be installed with the logo to the rear if it is only on one side of the axle, correct? Glad to see they are making the forgings in the US.

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

Even if it is, I am grinding it off.

joel and Texas Webb like this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

Last year on the way to the HAMB Drags we stopped at P&J and saw the forged axles. Call em up.

Roothawg likes this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

Just ordered a catalog.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Education for today, I didn't know that Chassis engineering inc. made axles.
    From looking at the https://chassisengineeringinc.com/ catalog they are slowly adding products back into production possibly as inquires come in with enough interest to produce the item.
    I bought one of the last sets of 292 Chevy six in a 47/54 AD truck chassis mounts they had in their close out sale days before the company sold and they are some nice pieces.
    The axles sound like a better fit for Pete & Jakes than Heidts. I can imagine the hassle of finding a company to forge them in the US in the smaller quantities they would need. For some of those outfits a small order is 10,000 units.

12. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I bought an axle from CE a couple of years before they sold to Heidt. It was a SoCal axle. They told me that they had ceased making their own.

Roothawg likes this.
  13. 42merc

42merc

The original Chassis Eng was in corn country & John Deere Co. did the forging.
    JD stopped forging the axles a couple of years before CE quit the business.

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

The SoCal axles are somewhat cheaper, but not much. I don't mind paying for a decent product though.

15. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

I had question about my C.E. install and call Heidts and they have people they that worked at C.E. to help. Very nice and helpful.

16. I just received some O.T. parts today, ordered from the CE link but received email correspondence from Heidts, great looking parts and welds but came unpainted....the photo showed painted parts damn it and for the price I think they should've had paint.

17. evil clown

evil clown
    from Verona, WI

FYI - I talked to Jason at Pete & Jakes last May about their axles. I ran across one of their axles "used", but only used for mock up, so I wanted to make sure what I was looking at. This is what he told me:

They have made their cast axles since 1978. In 2018 they also started making forged axles. The forged axles they are now making were originally made by Vintage Chassis Works, then Chassis Engineering.

Here's an interesting fact - their cast axles have the logo on both sides of the axle, but the forged axles only have the logo on one side. This is an easy way to identify what you're looking at, unless someone has ground the logo off of course.

I know most people prefer a forged axle, but there is nothing wrong with cast either. My '36 Ford has had a cast axle under it for 35+ years, and is still going strong.

Tim and Dyce like this.
  18. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"I know most people prefer a forged axle, but there is nothing wrong with cast either."

Uh oh, the can o' worms be opened!

warbird1 likes this.