Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Short Ford Oil Filter Exmple

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LM14, Jan 29, 2020.

1. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Oil filter in my '32 Pete and Jake's chassis is really tight to the steering box. It also was going to require me to unhook the fuel line from the frame to the fuel pump every oil change. There will also be wiring right off the end of the oil filter. Lots going on right there.

In another thread people were discussing short filters. Grabbed one the other day and got around to swapping it on today. Think this will fix all my problems and be much easier to change. It really buys you a lot of room. I like it.

First couple pics show a green normal FL1A filter. The last 2 pictures show the shorter filter with a good view of the number.
    SPark

assembly2e.png assembly6g.png Oil Filter1.jpg Oil Filter2.jpg

Forty Rod, dana barlow and LOU WELLS like this.
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Try a filter for a 1990 2.5 L or a 3.9 L mopar, yes it works.

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  3. I love the green color! My Grandad used to paint his woodworking equipment a very close shade of that color. He was from Iowa too, as am I. We used to call the color “Grandad Green”.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. I worked a a Jag XK120 years ago, and it had a 302 Ford in it. The oil filter was like what you had. Couldn't get it off. I found an oil filter from a Renault that the threads and base were the same as the one on it. It was even shorter than the one you used. That was over 30 years ago, so I don't remember the number. I just went into my local parts store and started opening boxes until I found what I needed.

5. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

6. With filters.......... Many makes/styles...... First- we (you) need to know the thread size=3/4-16, or other, then the outside diameter of it's sealing. Then the books, olds school ways, or a competent parts person can cross reference......
    Arm yourself will knowledge, then seek......Is'nt that difficult if you arm yourself before a parts "person", or the net...

Boneyard51 likes this.
  7. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

8. uncle buck

uncle buck

If by-pass setting , anti drain backs valves micron ratings matter to any of you …. standard NAPA filter # 1515
    NAPA # 1068 4.338" tall , # 1085 3.836" tall , # 1521 3.79" tall , # 1335 2.483" tall

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    Beanscoot likes this.
  9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get a Wix...It’s black.

10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"Insane Asylum" Green. Governments used to buy the cheapest paint they could.

Jack Wagon and irishsteve like this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got to agree with both off them. Napa Gold or Wix XP are all I use.

nunattax likes this.
  12. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

13. For those who havent had the pleasure....the inside of Navy ships are asylum green too.

Truck64 likes this.
  14. southcross2631

southcross2631

Look at a PL10241 For a Toyota 20R It is shorter and smaller. Has the same threads and gasket. DSCF3509.JPG

15. big john d

big john d
    from ma

older 4 cylinder volvo oil filter 1/2 the length and screws right on

16. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Our municipal fire hydrants too at one time were two tone asylum green & red. Or maybe a little bluer green. Water towers too. I seem to remember reading if a bunch of leftover paints and whatcha gots are mixed together a similar color results. Certain paint colors or pigments definitely cost more than others apparently.

17. squirrel

squirrel

18. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Wix 51348 on my '31

19. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

x2 on the fl300. I also had to use this Ford racing 90 degree adapter. 289-3.jpg

20. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Looks like the original poster solved his issue, though I suspect this thread will help many others. I wonder how much filtering you lose with a shorter filter?

nunattax likes this.
  21. That same Ford racing adapter comes on V/8 Ford pickups/
    vans from late 90's. Very handy. I maintained a fleet of trucks/vans and the Dodge V/8 vans used a short oil filter that fit a ford also.

woodsnwater likes this.
  22. squirrel

squirrel

Good question. Modern cars use small filters, and have longer recommended change intervals. But they also have much better fuel mixture control, and engines are built to tighter clearances, etc. Does the size of the filter have to do with how long you can use it before it gets plugged and needs to be replaced? Does size affect the flow rate of oil through it? Any experts?

23. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

I got my 34 on the road in the early 80's, it has a 351 Cleveland. Dropped the engine in with a standard filter. Things were tight. First oil change I went with a filter for an 80's ?? Dodge 318. Half the length & it spins right on.

24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Wix 51311 is the shorty I use.

25. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Thanks for posting all of the short filter examples. I also used the 90 degree adapter (and electric fuel pump), but my not have had to if I'd tried some of the short filters.

26. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

27. Dirk35

Dirk35

I had to use a remote oil filter on my 302 when I built my 35 because I set the engine low in the frame like you did. Wish I would've known about using the shorter filter back when I built my truck.

Not to hijack your thread, but I noticed how low you set the engine in the frame and I was wondering if your fan will clear the lower radiator inlet. Then I noticed that your lower hose is routed on the right hand side of the water pump (passenger side for America cars), but shouldn't a SBF normal rotation water pump have the lower radiator hose on the driver side? Thus, I'm wondering, do you have a serpentine belt system water pump on it? If so, I think they require the rotation in the opposite direction.

If you look at Woodsnwater's post (post #19) you can see the Serpentine Belt Water Pump.

This is V belt type water pump (also posted by 27 Tall T on post #12). You can barely see it, but I had to use an electric fan because of how low I set my engine in my 35. But I do remember discussion about pulley rotation for the different styles of SBF water pumps.
    1935 Ford PU Firewall.jpg

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    woodsnwater likes this.
  28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Early Ford Windsor engines had a passenger side water pump outlet. That changed about 69 or 70 when they went to the drivers side outlet. All the reverse rotation pumps are drivers side as far as I know, but not all drivers side pumps are reverse rotation, many are standard.. I think the reverse came about with the FI engines of the mid 80's.

29. RmK57

RmK57

Does it hit the oil pan when it's tilted straight down?

30. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Kid, did I ever tell you about my experience in Nebraska, with my motorhome? I driving after dark..... yeah... The Allison won’t shift into third after turning a corner out in the cornfields! I was just bragging to my wife how good the Allison’s are.......shit. I limp along for a while and begin to figure out I have a power problem on the 5.9, not an Allison problem! So I limp into a National chain parts house parking lot for the night.

Next morning I’m the first guy in the store.... don’t have my fuel filter! Can’t get one for a couple of days! I don’t want to camp in their parking lot that long!
    Counter boy says there is no cross, either. I ask for the book, counter boy asks why? I told you there is no cross! I say, give me the book! Manager is called! I ask him for the book! He says , why? We already told you it won’t cross! Me.... give me the damn book!!!!
    Like you said, figure your threads and your gasket size and type of filter..... walla! Well I go through about ten filters.....they don’t have any of the numbers that would work. Manager, or so called manager comes over and actually asks” what are you doing? “........ Really!
    Finally, towards the end of my possible numbers..... they have one!!! Yea!
    The manager tells me he won’t refund my money when it doesn’t work! I say really! I buy, I screw it on my motorhome, Fire it up and leave the parking lot with all the employees looking at the window.............. I wave...??........ with one finger!! And head on to Sturgis........ which is another story!

Bones

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020