Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Saddle tanks on Model A...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chili Phil, Jan 29, 2020.

1. I have saddle tanks on my RPU. I can't put gas in the damn things, without spilling down the aprons. I have a rubber filler thing for motorcycles that helps but it still leaks and makes a mess. Any of you have a solution?

2. PS, I'm in California and we have these foreskin things for capturing vapors.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I think I’d take a look at the vent.
    Maybe make a twist on/off fill neck?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5window and Tim like this.
  4. I use one of these things: http://www.mccuff.com It helps, but I still get gas stains. Sorry for the idiot TV "biker".

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

got that right

6. chargin03

chargin03

Not the first time I have heard about that problem. Sorry I can not help.

7. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

I used the push thru fillers on my tanks, and welded fake filler necks with Harley gas caps in my splash aprons. Works great.

8. 27 Tall T, any pics of your set up. Have the push through caps on my tanks as well.

9. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I run two saddle tanks on my 32 roadster, There is a 3 inch tube between tanks and each tank is vented; the filler tube is on one tank only and I don't have any problems with filling them. 32 roadster 002-4.jpg

pitman and dana barlow like this.
  10. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

11. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

I will look for a picture of the splash apron with the filler neck welded in. I take the gas cap off ,put gas hose thru the neck and into the push thru. If any gas drips it drips down between the filler and the tank.

Tim likes this.
  12. 27 Tall T, what do you mean by push thru?

13. Many years ago I had a set. For the reason you gave, plus I could only fill them about 2/3's full before it would dribble out the filler neck, and the challenges of having to fill both sides of the car...I took them out and went with a trunk mounted tank.

5window likes this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

had to click, was not disappointed

I think the push threw caps are one you don’t actually remove, you push the filler into them and they give way.

so the cap on the apron is just for access

15. 5window

5window

McCuff-I thought Abba music was cute. $19.99 plus $3.67 Shipping. Not sure it would work clearing the filler on your saddle tanks? There is no good place for a gas tank in an A: cowl gas over your lap and a hot motor?, ala Deuce- sticking out behind you for some texter to hit?, in the truck-right behind your seat or on the saddles-and you already know those issues. Good luck

16. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

the caps on the tanks are spring loaded. I take off the outer caps. on push the gas nosel thru the spring loaded cap on the tank I do have to fill both sides I did not want a tank in the bed

17. Where did you get those caps, 27 Tall T? BTW, that's a real nice phone booth PU you have there. very clean.

18. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

Tanks Inc. Or shops that sell chopper parts 20200130_133451.jpg

pitman likes this.