Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A/F Ratios

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Harley Charley, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Harley Charley

Harley Charley

I was wondering what a good AFR would be for cruising on a blown gen 1 hemi?

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14.7 is considered perfect for any engine under light load, but there are lots of factors involved. Tell us more about what you are doing.

Welcome to the HAMB.

-Abone.

Peter Nowak likes this.
  3. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Stoichiometric ratio! [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

4. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

As mentioned already, there are a lot of factors. E10 drops to ~14.1 E85 drops to 9.7 or 9.8
    variable as all E85 is not 85% EtOH

5. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Apropos of nothing, if you happen to be running Nitromethane a stoich ratio is 1.7:1. For a WOT blast fatten it up to 1.1:1!

6. squirrel

squirrel

Gasoline? Crusing with a blower motor? I'd say somewhere between 12:1 and 16:1. Make sure it drops to somewhere in the 11-13 range when you open the throttle.

Carbs and blower motors are pretty forgiving about AFR. And you can drive yourself nuts trying to make "efi" numbers with carbs. If it's running good, not belching smoke, not coughing or sneezing, throw away the AFR gauge, and enjoy the drive!

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14.7:1 is for E0.

14.2:1 is for E10.

HemiDeuce and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  8. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

On Gas , I prefer AFR 13.5- 15 cruising . 14.1 and higher create more heat ,

under boost wide open , I like. 12.0 - 13..ish .
    I also set my AFR on the leanest Cylinder

you will need a Efficient cooling system with Blower / supercharger

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  9. RocktimusPryme

RocktimusPryme

When I see guys dyno test its usually targeting about 12.5:1 at WOT for a combination of safety and making power. I have a wideband in my more expensive engine car. Cruising I have it set up around 14, but it fluctuates some.

10. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The truth and nothing but the truth! :) One less gauge to agonise over too!

Chris

Tri-power37 likes this.
  11. RocktimusPryme

RocktimusPryme

The wideband can drive you crazy if you stare at it. Especially cruise and idle ratios. "You *expletive* why were you 13.8 all the way to the store, then 15 minutes later your are 14.9 on the way home?!"

But its nice to see it settle into the sweet spot when you put the pedal all the way down. Know that if you hurt your motor it wont be because of fuel mixture.

12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Never see EFI ratios in a carbureted engine, it just isn't possible. On the other hand, "14.7" or whatever stoich is for a given fuel is a theoretical number and not often seen either. 16 to 1 is fine cruising on flat ground in a normally aspirated engine, that's what you want.

13. squirrel

squirrel

I agree that it's great to see if your setup is safe, and kind of close. I drove with one in my 55 for a few years, I learned to laugh at the numbers, and keep driving. Then I used it to set up the "new" carbs for my Chevy II (while the blower was still on the 55), found one thing that could use a slight adjustment, and then swapped all the stuff to the Chevy II, but never put an AFR gauge on the car. Been happy with it for years now.

btw I did have one carb that gave EFI numbers, although I only had the AFR gauge on it for one trip into town (that was enough to tell me I didn't need an AFR gauge). It was on a mild 454 in an old truck, and the carb was a stock Qjet, that was working right. The numbers were fantastic! that's a great carb. For a mild engine, that is.

mad mikey, Baumi and hotrodharry2 like this.
  14. badvolvo

badvolvo

TRUTH. I put one on my 59, drove me nuts. Didn't help me tune it, helped me make it worse. I took it back off and jetted by the seat of the pants dyno, took her to the strip and ran my best ET ever in that set up. Reading plugs and testing worked out far better for me.

15. RmK57

RmK57

I had a Holley 950 hp that would get me around 11.8 to 12.5 at light cruise. Thing was horrible and could never jet it down or tune without it affecting something else. Under full throttle it was perfect at 12.5-12.8. Great drag racing carb, not so much for the street.
    Ended up putting my little Quick fuel 750 back on with the light cruise numbers at 15-16 and full throttle at 12.5-13. Clean plugs and 25% better fuel mileage. This on a 512 BBF.
    I think there a great tuning tool but I still pull a couple plugs to make sure the readings are correct.

16. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My little '40 hits the number just about on the money at a light cruse.

[​IMG]

My advise is dial in your cruse so it is not too fat, dial in your wide open throttle so it is not too lean, and don't worry about it other than that.

-Abone.

mad mikey likes this.
  17. I use one for a tuning tool on my 471 blown 406 sbc in the coupe. This engine is pretty radical for the street, more at home on the track. At cruise 14.0- 14.9ish. Hammer down 11.5- 12.5ish. That is with a modified 950 QF carb . Like was stated I do not get to hung up on the numbers. Still read plugs etc.

19Eddy30 likes this.
  18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Modern fuel blends, especially those containing Ethanol, make it increasingly difficult to read plugs properly.

You can be far-off, and still have a good looking plug.

19. squirrel

squirrel

On a positive note, most aftermarket carbs are set up to run kind of rich. So, if the carb is pretty close to being the right one for the application, it won't be lean very often, if you leave the damn jets alone.

20. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

XX2 on plug reading, just look @ newer vehicles , tail pipe black ,
    A ""GOOD "" Quality wide band O2 is needed to tune efficient and Performance. Once you dial in ,then you can remove the gauge & 02.
    On some set up (carb) I have drill added a stain of wire & Etc on Radical motors Street driven ,I have a few carbs that are Completely Justable in every aspect of a function of a carburetor.

mad mikey likes this.
  21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is a universal truth that if you are over-rich, or over-lean, you are leaving power and performance on the table.

Too lean, and you are headed into preignition territory. Too rich and you are literally burning money, for no viable return (don't say fun, considering better performance would pay off with MORE fun).

What dyed-in-the-wool hot rodder is satisfied with that? I certainly am not. I am about to hit the decade-mark, tuning with a wide-band Oxygen sensor, or sensors. I have since added thermocouples, to observe individual cylinder performance, where possible.

Beyond that, I have largely moved away from anything resembling a carburetor. You can get them close, but never exact. For exact, a computer is required, but we cannot talk about those here.

19Eddy30 likes this.
  22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That's what's so great about a carburetor, you can talk about them "On" a computer. :D

Truck64, Jet96, RidgeRunner and 2 others like this.