Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Which engine to use

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robert graves, Jan 18, 2020.

1. I came across this video today and thought it was a little humorous, but truthful... :D

2. I am with the 289 crowd. Good dependable engine and should be more than enough for your jailbar.

I have a few different options at my disposal if I had a jail bar but with your options the 289 sounds best to me. granted depends on the condition of the engine, you have not mentioned the condition of any of the options.

3. 6sally6

6sally6

IF....you really do have the $$$ and time .....the Hemi(of course). You're building a toy...a street rod...eye candy/play purdy. The Hemi hands down. Now having the 'restraint'to NOT build a blown and injected ...faux top fuel...fire-breathing monster but a dependable, big HP, cool running, 92 octane drinking, torque monster.....well that's up to you!
    Should be able to put together a solid 400HP power plant that is capable of cross country to local trips to Walmart without issue.
    6sally6
    I couldn't do it!! I'm more the faux top fuel kinda guy you read about:cool:

4. rust&patina

rust&patina

Is there a shorter water pump available for the Ford 289... can a chevy water pump or any other brand be used ???

5. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Completely depends on what you want to spend

6. 42˚18'N 83˚09'W

42˚18'N 83˚09'W

7. Chevy's already come with a short water pump and fit right in better than others. ;)

8. One in every crowd...

Montana1 likes this.
  9. 8flat

8flat

NICE! Just getting my grandpa's old '51 F1 on the road, pic in my avatar is the original engine out of it, just a little worked over. My brother and I plan to drive it to Bonneville this year, can't wait. Love these things.

10. gearhead695456

gearhead695456

I have experience with a flatty and a 289. For my money its 289 for everyday driving. If youre just going to park at local cruise once while, go w/ the flathead its prettier. In my experience the $/ hp spent on the flatmotors just doesn't stack up, but to each his own. They sound and look cool thats for sure.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  11. robert graves

robert graves

Thanks for all the opinions ,the flatter is in it right ,now will think over all the opinions.

anthony myrick likes this.
  12. rocknwrench

rocknwrench

if you dont do a hemi , youre friends will call you a pussy forever for not doing it, except that one friend who cries "flathead!" cause they look cool and he doesnt have to drive it , work on it , or pay for it. my opinion would be 289 for streetable easy and cheap , or either hemi for cool factor. im not drawn into the mystique of a flathead . traditional or not, 3-5k to make 120 horse doesnt get it for me.

13. IMHOP and in my experience the 289 WILL overheat but provide moderate power, the flathead MAY overheat and can provide moderate power with enough work, but the hemi will run cool...plus you can't ignore the cool factor that the hemi will have.

14. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

SBC was not one of the choices he asked about- but there's always gotta be one pop up with "put a Chebbie in it"

15. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Again with the Chebbie crap? Always gotta be one self-amused Chebbrainwashed on the bus

16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Go with the SBF and keep the Hemis and flathead for your next rainy day project(s). :D I suspect that the SBF will be cheaper to build and be a good DD choice. Then again, price dictates everything. The others require adapters to connect to the transmission of your choice. Nothing beats the look of a Hemi under the hood!;)

17. 42˚18'N 83˚09'W

42˚18'N 83˚09'W

Enough with the Ford water pumps. They are no more issue than Chevy distributors. I run a 302 with a 600 Holley an AOD. a 3.70 gear, and a 235 70 r15 tire and get 26 mpg all day long in my '33 3/w coupe and I have done this for 103 thousand miles with no issues and 5,000 mile oil and filter changes. How's that for a daily driver?