Register now to get rid of these ads!

60 Falcon with a 302

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Phoenix24, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

So all my paperwork is in for eagle, and now it's out of my hands. It's time to start back on this. I was able to drive the car allot yesterday, and the biggest issue was the rear tires rubbing. I might have time today to try and push the stock ones out a bit, but if not then I'm going to have to put some mini tubs in it. Are there any old tricks that have been used in the past? Could I find an old mustang or something to rob wider wheel wells from, or would it be better to get some tubs premade from somewhere else?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  2. If the tires are running on the lip of the wheel well those tubs aren’t gonna help..different wheel width, offset, rear end width will..

loudbang likes this.
  3. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

It's not rubbing on the lip, the front was but we where able to fix that but using the panhard bars up front, guy at the alignment shop did a great job. The back rubs the sidewalls when I take a corner.

Also, I got subframe connectors for a birthday gift! Now to get them installed!

loudbang and Gammz like this.
  4. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

Gimpy shows it perfectly, the wells in there now taper a ton, so when the body rolls it rubs on the side

loudbang and gimpyshotrods like this.
  5. raven

raven

When I had my 60 Falcon hot rod, I ended up using Toyota truck wheels in the rear. The offset moved the tires in and gave me room between the tires and the fenders. Ford bolt pattern too.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

panhead_pete and loudbang like this.
  6. George

George

rear anti-sway bar?

loudbang likes this.
  7. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

A set of new leaf springs will lift the rear and help a lot with the body roll.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

I've heard some bad things about the rear anti sway bars,, especially on lighter cars it seems. And lifting the rear would help, the the main issue is with the body roll. Looking into it, there's very little room between the sidewall and the wheel well. I have school, so I'm going to try the bottle jack thing next weekend and see why that does. Idk if it'll be enough, but it might

9. 6sally6

6sally6

Good to know!!!! Got a year /model/etc.??
    6sally6

10. George

George

I'd think it would reduce body roll..

loudbang likes this.
  11. raven

raven

Well it was about 1979-80 when I did it so I’d say late 70’s to very early 80’s Toyota truck, probably the SR-5 series.
    r

loudbang and Phoenix24 like this.
  12. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

Same here, but everyone I've talked to that's done it to their mustangs, for example, have said it's really messed it up. I'm definitely going to look into it more, but either way I'm going to have to make it wider, as I can't even hey my fingers between the wheel and well

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I run a Falcon with very stiff (borderline intolerable) springs and a 1" bar in the front, with stiffer, lower rear springs, built for my application.

I run no rear anti roll bar, an can catch a 911, in the corners on a mountain road. How? I have a panhard bar.

It is a clone of this:
    [​IMG]
    Adding a rear anti sway bar could result in uncontrollable over-steer.

It is very difficult to fully limit body roll generated by the weight on the front end. With a good bar and springs up front, weight transfers, at both ends, in a neutral fashion.

If you increase the resistance of the rear to roll, it will begin to have the tendency to lift the inner rear tire, possibly causing you to lose control.

This is what it looks like when the rear suspension is non-compliant: https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/prod.mm.com/img/readerrides/normal_IMG_1038.JPG

Touch the brakes, and you might be backing into the ditch.

About the only way to fight that would be an even bigger bar up front, too, and possibly stiffer springs. At some point, you no longer have suspension.

loudbang, Thor1 and Phoenix24 like this.
  14. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

That looks like it might be the way to go. If after I try to push things out with a bottle jack, and tubs still dont work (I think they will if it comes to it), then that looks like THE option.

If/when I go to make it handle better, ie Shelby drop, lower leafs ect, then I'm definitely going to look into a panhard.

But, if I can, I'm going to try modding the stock wells/tubing it, as that's the cheaper option, and I don't have a job to fund this... Yet... Dang school

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

66686496_2555196697846596_5411057437409017856_o.jpg IMG_20190714_132512.jpg IMG_20190714_135302.jpg IMG_20190728_201419.jpg
    I did a little remodeling of my wheel arches, too.

16. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Phoenix24 in my opinion you should save your money and concentrate on the 600 carb and getting car running great, tune-up wise. It sounds like you have enough stuff in that motor and rear gear to have a stout little street car. Enjoy what you have, you won't regret it. You can keep throwing money at it on things like heads, roller cam, pistons, etc. it's endless then you start breaking things. It's cool just as you have it now. That's my 2 cents.

Pat

raven, loudbang, Phoenix24 and 2 others like this.
  17. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

^^^^^^X2^^^^^^

18. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

We now have a 600 cfm on top, and it's amazing how much of a difference it makes. Right now the goals are getting the back to stop rubbing, either with modding the stock wheel wells, or tubbing it, and then finish putting the weather stripping on. It's interesting hearing and seeing what others are/where doing with these cars, as now it's all plastic and computerized.

Driving it around this last weekend, it's a great little car, and most of the things I'm going to be doing will probably be smaller things as well as bracing (sub frame connectors)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    loudbang, Gammz and 1934coupe like this.
  19. 6sally6

6sally6

Think twice-cut once!!.......(Is that how that goes?!) :oops: IF you have a nice factory fit on the rest of the rear quarter panel....I'm sure you prolly do........I would preserve that by hacking out the rot & bondo area and butt welding in a repair patch.......even if you have to order a full quarter panel to do it. Less work and guaranteed better fit than after market (Chinaman slave laborer) parts.
    6sally6

Phoenix24 likes this.
  20. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

Does the rear quarter go back to the "eye brows" above the tail lights? I have some dents there, as well as behind the bumper on the corner. There's allot of mud on the bottom rear of the quarter as well as the lip, so that's why I was thinking about just replacing the entire panel. Ik the passenger side has the same thing on the lip, but less severe. I don't think there's as much mud overall, but there's a pretty sizeable dent right on that eyebrow curve.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
  21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is not known replacement panel in the US that includes the taillight surround.

If you need to replace it, it needs to come from a donor car. The seam is up on top of the quarter, under lead. If you feel under the top of the quarter, you will find it. These come up on eBay, every so often.

I had to replace both of mine, not long ago, when I got hit on the freeway, by a texting teenager.

My 60 now has 63 tail lights, with backup lights. Remember when searching for parts, 60-61 have different tail light surrounds than 62-63. The taillights got bigger.

Phoenix24 likes this.
  22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, and the one-piece quarter panels that you find out there absolutely suck.

They are poorly formed, and thinner than stock.

Get the ones from Schott Metal Products. They are OEM thickness, and stamped properly.

Phoenix24 and s55mercury66 like this.
  23. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

Ok, I found a guy parting out a car near me that has front end damage. He's selling the entire rear chrome trim for 75, the guy who sells original parts he's collected sells a single piece for 40, so I'm probably gonna try and grab that. I might be able to take the entire rear end of the car with the right price. I'm not interested in the lights or anything else besides the panels, so he might cut me a deal if I leave him the script and such.

I was thinking about switching to a 63 lense, but I really like the stock look. What I was thinking about doing is putting a white LED strip under the outside of the tail light trim. Just on those three areas. Stock look with a unique reverse light. 399895e33f72b2513af0bcf484b4900b.jpeg

24. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

Wait, the 62 got bigger lights, dang. I'll have to find a different grafter for the rear then, but the quarters should be the same right? I'm thinking of what I need to get and trying to get as much as possible from this one guy, as the price seems right and he might give a better deal if I'm buying more (the ads been up for a while). Would the rear seat of a 4dr be the same at the rear of a 2dr? If so, that's anoth piece I can grab

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The quarters are the same.

As far as I know the seat is the same, too.

26. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

Welp, the trans on the daily is going out, time to shine the turd and get her on the road lol. I'm going to be finishing up the wheel well issue and finalizing stuff like weatherstripping. Wish me luck lol

Gammz likes this.
  27. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Go man go

28. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

It was popular back in the '70's to swap in early '60's Galaxie tail lights into early Falcons, I do not remember the specifics though.

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those can go into '62-'63, but not '60-'61, without metal work.

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shown here, on the same car, in progress:
    IMG_20170610_193625.jpg

The difference is substantial. Backup lights mount in the lenses, and were added later.

JeffB2 and Phoenix24 like this.