Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods # 10 Track Roadster Build- Marty Strode

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man I love your threads. The car is amazing but I just keep going back and looking at how you set up the jig for everything. Very clever

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just have such admiration for the Workmanship with You Marty the Artist/Builder and what you share here with its Vintage Ambience...this was a scene being played out all over during those years...and you continue to Carry that Torch into Today...Breathtaking beyond Cool that is...

The Thrill of Ripping Track in one of those must be incredible...I sure as heck wish you could rent one of those with a track to just have a couple of laps...Sure would beat Avis and Go Carts...:D...Stogy's Dreaming...:)

3. loudbang

loudbang

Thanks for keeping us up to date love your build threads now we have two at the same time to enjoy. :)

4. pitman

pitman

Marty, the tailshaft length reminded of this:
    In '70 a buddy rumbled his way into the yard one day in a ratty old '62 Econoline van.
    As he turned in we noted a host of mechanicals hanging quite low, and a beastly thump of exhaust note.
    Seems he'd been visiting the Bell Boys. They had built the van as a runaround toy
    It had a 6" long driveshaft, a high-stall Torqueflight, and oversize tube headers.
    Inside between a pair of bomber buckets lay an expanse of 2B Finish AL plate, covering a massive engine compartment.
    Beneath was a punched, stroked, forged crank 392, w/a dominator carb on top.
    In 'street' trim, when Dennis hit the gas, the front wheels bounced as it roared like a banshee. Riding, felt the seat mounts were about to rip up thru the floor, suggesting you wave goodbye, in an exit out the rear doors!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thank you Gentlemen. It's fun to show the fabricating methods that I use to build cars, and share what wisdom I have acquired doing this stuff for over 55 years. For those who followed the Spalding Bros Roadster build, that took longer than I anticipated, I promise this one will not drag on. This Roadster is a far different animal than Pat's, we won't have to search for the rare parts, and work off of pictures. With all of the patterns, fixtures and drawings I have kept, I only have to rely on my 71 year mind, eyes and body to get the job done. It will parallel my 29 RPU project. Stogy, your idea of concession Roadster Racing sounds like fun ! The following video is far too long, but the first couple of minutes will give you a feel for how these cars drive. Pitman, I had a friend that had a 390 Tri-power 61 Econoline PU.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  6. Tall t 26

Tall t 26

Great thread. Love the looks and the photos. Awesome builds.
    Thanks for sharing!!

loudbang and pitman like this.
  7. pitman

pitman

Damn, that drives as nice as Jimmy White's Hemi Coupe video! Thanks Marty

loudbang likes this.
  8. Clark

Clark

No tractor motor??

loudbang likes this.
  9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have an Allis Chalmers D-12, could have used that engine, ooh, that would have been a cruel joke !

10. KKrod

KKrod

Great roadster ride. I was gonna watch the first two minutes but could not turn it off. I was having too much fun. Gotta get my roadster running. Nothing could be better than that.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. Thanks for the roadster ride! As a native Oregonian I should know where that was but I don't.

chryslerfan55, pitman and loudbang like this.
  12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Rocky, the location is Farmington Rd. Aloha, Dairy Queen. There is a gathering every Friday night from April to Sept. Here is a shot of a couple of my Brothers with their black machines and my Tub. Say hi to Scotty for me, he is a good friend. DQ3.jpg

14. Will do. I need to get someone over to his place to fix his computer.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  15. Marty, the photo of all your patterns spread out brings back a picture in my mind of stuff I saw all the time in the Kurtis Kraft shop. Frank believed in patterns and fixtures for any project, even if he was making just one of something. He said "you never know when you might want to make another one". Mr. Kurtis would be very pleased to see all your tooling.

16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dean, I got on the fixture and pattern kick over 30 years ago, when the bulk of my business was building Dwarf Cars. Mostly front suspensions, and complete, ready to install rear ends. As in most circle track racing, there are lots replacement parts needed, plenty of carnage ! I felt sort of like a Buzzard, "waiting for something to happen".

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Marty, I raced shifterkarts with a couple of those guys before they got the Dwarf cars.
    Two of your crazier racemates/customers, Dan and Clint.

chryslerfan55, catdad49 and Just Gary like this.
  18. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Okay Marty, I'm hooked!
    Curious as to the differences in the 10 versions.

#2 MobilGas Spl. Black w/Hemi, 3 deuces

#3 Dixie Flyer Red w/Flathead, 3 deuces

#5 Lonnies Speed Shop Yellow w/Flathead, 3 deuces

#7 Strode Special Red w/Flathead, 3 deuces

#8 Dirty Ernie's Garage Light Blue w/Flathead, 2 deuces

#10 Current Build

Don't know if or how the Tub fits in

Is the Hubbard Speed Shop in this group too? (Looks like it is)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

This is such a great action shot, on the track, side by side by side, positioned about as perfectly as possible.
    [​IMG]

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bruce, #8 is my race partner Ernie Martin, 278" Flathead , he handles all of the engine/trans/ and rearend building. He also built the majority of this one ! More to come. Fast Lane track-t's 001.jpg IMG_1563.JPG converted steel QC, un-channeled.

21. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Cool, I've updated my post and will continue as you add information. Love the Deuce grille on #8.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

More, my buddy Brent, who does all of my bodywork, a real pro. Late Merc engine, Halibrand 201 rear with, Ford truck hubs like mine and Lonnie's. Ironically, I was building this one for Bill Towers ( who #10 is for) and had it pretty well done. I talked Bill into selling it to Brent who did a great job finishing it up. IMG_2990.JPG IMG_2992.JPG

23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This '27 is steel bodied, tri-power 276", Frankland Champ rear axle. It has a 103-1/2 wheelbase, all of the 23-25 bodied Roadsters are 100"wb. Owner John Fuller. IMG_5608.JPG

24. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Greetings again Marty!...does Bill Towers still live in Delaware?....I remember him racing northeast DIRT modifieds for many years!....always had sharp racecars, number 2 if I remember right...

loudbang likes this.
  25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This one had a 276" engine, required an opening door on the pass side for the owner Ted Weaver. Kuzie Kuzmanich, Northwest Stock Car Champ, behind the wheel. IMG_3903.JPG

26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Yes he does, he is quite the Ford guy. Maybe we should refer to him as the "Delaware Flash" !

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This is the only one with a Chevy engine, built it for Indy racer Rolla Vollstedt (red jacket). Rolla and his Son Kurt, installed one of Rolla's 650 hp engines. Rolla 1.jpg

28. A Boner

A Boner

Hope you show all the little details. Like the body mounts, the floor set up, and the roll bar and seat mounting. And more!

Blues4U likes this.
  29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Lonnie Gilbertson's #5, We assembled it over 4 days at the Portland Roadster Show in 2001. For the climax, we had Indy Great, Len Sutton in the seat to fire it up for the crowd. Len retired from driving, shortly after the 1965 Indy 500, promising his Wife to never race again. Well, Lonnie and I pestered him, until he agreed to race #5 on dirt. I arranged to have 3 of his old competitors from the 40's in Roadsters race one night, Len Smoked em ! Lonnie's engine was 292", High Dome Navarro heads, Vertex mag and the works. #5 now resides in Colton,Ca. Roadster Show 1.jpg P7130010.JPG

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022