Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Heat- or the lack of it - UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 25, 2020.

1. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Perhaps a new avatar is in order............ images.jpg :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

2. Just to add some confusion....the posted Vintage Air instruction are for both Gen II and Gen IV, which is what I have. My Gen IV heater control valve looks like yours, but is a servo electrical unit........not cable operated. Seems strange to me they would be hooking up a cable to a "floating valve" not securely held in place.............so I have to ask, are you sure yours is manual?
    And to confirm, the Gen IV units, at least, have blend doors. My heater will drive ya out of the car in 10 minutes. 20 degrees out, after warmed up I keep the fan on lowest setting. My A/C doesn't cool worth a damn though, but I'll be working on it hopefully before summer.

3. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I have had Vintage Air in four vehicles and they all work far better than any others I have used. If your VA isn’t functioning correctly call there tech and they will work you thru it. Anxious to see what you find HRP.

klleetrucking likes this.
  4. If the water valve is the standard issue V.A. unit, it only operates when the fan motor is turned on. There is no power to it otherwise.

5. 500caddy

500caddy

6. squirrel

squirrel

Did you look at the picture of the water valve? it's a cable operated type, not electric, so there is no power to it, ever. :)

ottoman likes this.
  7. I Don't have a Heater that Work's in my Car its there but No
    Blower Motor Hooked up!
    Because I Man ..!
    Just were a Better Coat & you will be Fine!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

8. sunbeam

sunbeam

Last summer I was called to charge the AC unit in a John Deere tractor and the low pressure line was cold almost to the compresser and the sight glass was clear. When I checked the heater was on. The AC will not override the heater. For those running pump risers or Vortec blocks this is a good read. http://www.snowwhiteltd.com/PDF/RiserWP.pdf

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  9. Dennis D

Dennis D

Horrible Freight has 'em. D

10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

No need for fanszy temp crap;If you feel heat in upper rad hose with your finger,the motor is making hot water,so do you feel heat in hose going to dash heater core small rad near firewall ,if not your valve to turn on heater is not open,fix that;is fan blowing ,also feel with finger=maybe same finger you just burned on upper hose LOL to cool it ! Willy C. ask Road Runner to go for ride in dead of winter,uses his newAcme heater,*comes in a wood box with a pack of matchs in box,he bust up the box an piles it under dash,then lights it on fire,if Road Runner shows up on time to go for ride{{ no he didn't, so Willy is trying too put out fire,but all the water is just frozen ice.
    Sure you don't want to move to Miami ?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    squirrel likes this.
  11. Bought my laser thermometer at Lowe's for about $30. Had it for years. This seems like it should be something simple so i hope you let everybody know when you figure it out lol. Hot water comes out of the engine, through the heater core, back into the engine, fan blows across the heater core. So what in the heck is causing this! Lol.... I'm betting my money on the valve. If that hose is hot prior to the valve and cold after... should be able to tell with your hand

squirrel likes this.
  12. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Hope you figure it out soon. I have Vintage Air for my pickup. I haven't put it in yet. I have this heater for my Hot Rod that I got from minimania.com. It's great if you don't have much room if anybody's interested. Good luck with yours. You'll figure it out. IMG_1831.jpg IMG_1832.jpg

13. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

If this is a later Vintage Air unit the control valve should be electronic. If you can’t get it figured out don’t be afraid to call them. They are very knowledgeable and will work with you to get it figured out. I have one of their units in my convertible and love it. I had one in my Ford coupe and had no problems with it. In my convertible I’m running a restrictor not a thermostat and have great heat in the car

14. sunbeam

sunbeam

If there is no coolant flow how hot will the hose be?

15. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

If there is no coolant flow the hose will be cold or warm at the very best

16. Not sure on that setup, but the numerous late model off topic gm products I've fixed with the Dex sludge stopping up the heater core does show a difference on the inlet vs the outlet. It's conduction. The heat will move from the block through the coolant. Maybe not immediately, but it will happen.

17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yeah, my Freightliner has cut off valves in the heater lines, but even with them cut off the heat still makes it's way into the lines from the engine. Takes a while and doesn't get as hot as if there were coolant flowing through there, but they still get hot just the same.

18. Thanks for all the suggestions, I have the boss lady's shop van in the garage and it takes precedence over the '32, hopefully in the next few days I can get back to the heater problem. HRP

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    dana barlow and Johnny Gee like this.
  19. I'm not a big proponent of harbor freight but we received their circular in the mail her at the shop and I found a laser thermal thermometer for less than 20 bucks, they recently open here in town so I'm going to go get one. HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  20. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do Danny :D

21. One of my last experiences with HF, I bought a brake, it broke the second time I used it.

[​IMG]

dana barlow likes this.
  22. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Good ole chinesium #7..

Some things there are decent, tool boxes are alot of bang for the buck, some of the power tools are ok, some hand tools ok, but its kit or miss and use best judgement. temp gun should work... Hope you got the wife squared away...
    Looking forward to seeing the temp differences before and after the valve....

23. I could be wrong but I'm guessing there are about 100 postings on this thread about getting a heater to work. Unbelievable.

rockable likes this.
  24. Aw man! That stuff ain't much good for anything over 24g. Hopefully the laser thermometer works out better.

25. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Yes we like to dissect all subjects six ways from Sunday. Just like a “jamb” sandwich, you have to have all the fixings. Lettuce, cheese and mayo/mustard. Yummm .

26. Typical Hamb responses. Guy asks "what time is it?" and he is informed on the workings of a watch, the repair of the watch, who made the watch, what the watch is made of, where the watch was made, what day of the week the watch was made, what tools were used to make the watch, where to get the tools to make the watch, who makes the tools to make the watch, the persons name who made the watch, the persons name who made the tools used to make and repair the watch. Sometime knowing everything just doesn't really help.

27. You forgot something-
    Why do you need to know ?

28. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Same here, I wish the AC worked as well as the heater does.

29. Don't forget a few people to bitch dramatically about somebody else's issue. Personally i don't read every thread, only the ones that interest me or i think i might have the ability to be helpful on.

30. Dennis D

Dennis D

It's winter and we need something to do while the snow melts. LOL D