Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 gas tank under A coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Just wondering if you run an A coupe on 32 Rails, where does the extra room come from? These are my 2 favorite cars on the HAMB right now and have the same frame, same basic body and the placement looks pretty close for all other components, grille, front crossmember etc. Sorry to be ignorant but bare with me......

Attached Files:

2. nrfleming

nrfleming

"A" frames end at the rear axle. 32's don't, i am assuming the extra room you are refering to is the gas tank sticking out the back.

3. deuce295

deuce295

The red coupe (Rolf's) has the rear frame horns cut off so it ends at the rear of the body and the primered coupe is using a full length 32 frame which allows him to use a stock 32 gas tank. The most popular form seen with a model A on a 32 frame is with the frame rails bobbed (cut off).

Jim

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

OK. I see. I like both looks, the math just wasn't adding up.

5. Brewton

Brewton

Dagels makes an kit you can buy to extend the rear frame horns and add a '32 gas tank.

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am buying 32 rails.

7. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

firstly - the wheelbase. A's are 103" and 32's are 106", so you gain a few inches there. You can also slip the front crossmember forward up to 2" on a 32 chassis beofre the roll of the front horns upset the gometry of the front end. Bass slipped his A front crossmember forward 1/2".

Secondly, Bass had to trim the panel below the decklid, and eliminate the lower (or Beaver) panel all together to fit the 32 tank, or should i say , to fit the A body!!!

8. Duster

Duster

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I just put a 32 tank on my 30 frame. Made the frame add on for under $40.00 with new steel.

9. MilesM

MilesM

Metalshapes has one at his shop he did this to. Maybe he will post a pic. Turned out real nice.

10. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

In my opinion, 'A's don't look right with the 32 tank under them unless some body mods are done to allow the rear of the 32 frame and tank to stay unchanged...

I personally think modifying the sweep of a 32 frame so that the tank can sit in the back is kinda sacralidge...

I also think modifying the tank to fit on the lower lip of the rear horns looks weird also.

I think that you eather have to section the panel below the deck lid to make room or rework the rear body stiffening piece under that panel to give you the room.

I think LOUDpedel's car above has something like that done given that he used the 32 fender well panels in the back?

11. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Here's a picture to go with what Stovebolt said above. I actually shortened the decklid, rather than shortening the panel below the decklid...so that I had plenty of room for my license plate and taillights.

I wish the tank sat a little further under the body, but I still think it looks OK. It'll look better when it's all painted black someday.

[​IMG]

12. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK??? That's one of the meanest, baddest goddam hotrods around.....and shortening the decklid like one on a roadster was the right approach.

13. metalshapes

metalshapes

I changed the back of the body a bit to make it line up with the Tank.

The Fenders are pinched and the Panel under the Decklid is a a shallower angle, so less of the Tank is showing.

And I made the corner pieces that wrap around the Gas Tank.

Attached Files:

Lil'Alb likes this.
  14. Duster

Duster

32 TANKS ARE MADE TO SIT IN THE BACK. I will be running full stock fenders on the 30 so I need the full rear panel.

15. Duster

Duster

This looks great. I did not know so many people were using 32 tanks in the "A''. They all look good. everyone makes his own Hot Rod. LATER

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

I go back and forth. I think depending the look you are after will determine the tank location.

17. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Just curious. What is the fuel capacity of the 32 tank? 15 Gal or so?

18. abonecoupe31

abonecoupe31
    from Michigan

Model A's are actually 103 1/2" long in the WB department..and the 32 is 106"...and, as stated before, you can move the front 32 crossmember ahead a few inches before changing camber radically.

You use also use a Model A front crossmember in a 32 Ford frame to lower the front end an addittional 1 ". (the aftermarket front crossmembers from Chassis Engineering and others have an aditional drop over a stock Model A front crossmember too.)

I bought a pair of replacement 32 frame rears to put a "Tanks" gastank on my Model A, I got the plastic tank....and made my own frame, and moved the stock Model A rear crossmember back 5" to mount the spring behind the axle, with a Posies rear spring mounting kit for the 32-34 Ford. That gets the rear end lower, and I also stepped the rear of the frame up 2" as well to center the wheels in the wheel wells. I used a set of Pete and Jake's rear ladder bars and a 8" Ford rear end.

I'll probably make up something similiar to what Dagel's builds to put a 32 gas tank in a Model A. I won't do any fancy sectioning of the rear panel to get the tank up under the body. Model A's don't have much trunk space as it is. I feel I lost enough room as it is with the 2" kick up in the trunk area.

19. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

"Hi, I've got a Model A but I really wanted a Duece...
    ...Think I'll slap a duece tank on the back. That'll make it the BEES-KNEES!"

It's all about style, lines, and INCORPORATION...

Bass's car rules.

20. Duster

Duster

===
    I think you souuld buy a Deuce and be Happy. People build the car they like.
    Life is to short --have some fun with whats left.

21. One things that burns us up, is wantabe duces throwing every duce part they can on a perfectly good "A"

Good to brooksville and buy a damn duce body.

Byron Crump likes this.
  22. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

"Us?" Do you have two people in your head?:)

"Wantabe Duces?" Is that the name for some African askaris in the service of Italy?:D

Yeah, the Bass car really looks like a messed up A.

:rolleyes:

23. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Okay,
    I'm putting my tank back there on my 31 roadster on 32 rails not because i'm trying to fool somebody into thinking its a 32 roadster, but because there is simply no where else for it to go, I have a Duvall windshield up front, and a rumble seat in the back, which i'm keeping so i'll be able to give my kids a ride (at slow speeds around the neighborhood)

Anybody that knows Model A's and 32s knows instantly which is which, and the rest of the world couldn't care less, its just a "cool ole car" to them.

As far as brookville, they build a great car, but it is still a replica, I'd rather have a "real" Model A than a replica 1932 ford, but hey, that's just me

trikejunkie likes this.
  24. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Ok, I don't want to start the Model A vs. '32 war again, but I do want to ask a question. The car in the '29 on duece rails below (which is one of my fav's I have seen on the HAMB - actually it was unpainted on here about 6 months ago for sale, now its badass black) has a '32 tank under it with what appears to be no modifications done to the body.

I may be wrong though, either way, any ideas on how this was accomplished?

Thanks y'all.

Mike

Attached Files:

• 81_3.jpg
      81_3.jpg
      File size:
      70.9 KB
      Views:
  25. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

a couple other angles..

26. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

ok, let me try that again!

Attached Files:

27. TimDavis

TimDavis

The third picture you can tell - the rear horns have been angled downward more.

find a rear 3/4 shot of a stock duece frame, and just look at the the frame line - you'll see it.

Cool car none the less.

28. plan9

plan9

duece tanks under A roadsters have been going on since the 40's/50's

32/33,34/35,36 header panel grafted onto A's can be seen at race tracks and drylakes throughout the 50's. seems absolutely normal.

30/31 bodies share a lot of the same body lines as a 32... aside from the obvious compound curves.

dont let these details get your blood pressure get too high.

29. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Schitt! Bass, you know you went and built that car just right!

Alex, those corners look SO good! Way to go you furriner!

30. Hyfire

Hyfire

I am not big on this modification becuase they never seem to look right, however saying an A owner is trying to make it a '32 is really lame.

Hyfire