Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question: Vega box in an AD?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raven, Jan 27, 2020.

1. raven

raven

Just wondering if anyone has tried a Vega cross steer box in a Chevy AD truck?
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Buy one from Borgeson, they are the real thing. The others are poor knock offs. Paying for safety and quality is worth it.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    nochop and LOU WELLS like this.
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have been pondering which one to buy, for my 29 Roadster Pickup, street/drag car. But, good steering, and brakes are the most important parts of any car. Borgeson will be my choice.

nochop likes this.
  4. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I have used several knock off and others I know , I have over 15,000 miles with no sign of issues yet , Weight plays apart if a Vega box is used for a build, (safety ) I do not use Knock off spindles and make sure they are forged

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Dirty Dug likes this.

5. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

6. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Doubt they'd recommended it for a truck but talk to Borgeson and see what they say.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. krgdowdall

krgdowdall
    from Alberta

I thought the Real Thing would be from a Chev Vega. The Rebuilt Real Thing is still available from Rock auto at about 1/2 price of a Repo unit. But In a Chev truck you would want something larger . Possibly power ?

19Eddy30 likes this.
  8. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Borgeson builds there's from the original specs and quality as the original. If there's someone rebuilding them all the better. Either way a Vega box probably wouldn't be the best choice for a Chevy truck.

Hnstray likes this.
  9. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

A Vega box would be my last choice in an AD.............................................

mgtstumpy and Hnstray like this.
  10. Fordors

Fordors

I think you will be happier with a Saginaw 525 steering box. They were used in GM intermediate sized cars and even the S-10 pickup so it is more suited to your application.
    Oh, and for sure either find a good, tight OEM box or else get a Borgeson, they purchased the original Saginaw machines and tooling.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  11. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

There are aftermarket suppliers that make kits for installing power steering into these trucks, Most use the steering box out of a 70's full size pickup. Of course they are for use with the original axle, if you
    are using an ifs than go with the manufacturer's plan.

12. bct

bct

13. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

The 525 is a Saginaw steering box and about 20% larger then the Vega box.
    The 525 was used in light trucks and best of all Jeeps. Jeeps use them from 1972 to the 1980s and was the Manuel box as the 76 was the power steering box for the jeeps and also a Saginaw .

olscrounger likes this.
  14. ...525 box from mid 60's Chevelle,..or clones.
    37 coupe build 220.jpg 37 coupe build 071.jpg

raven and continentaljohn like this.
  15. Man...this thread was perfect timing for me as I am just getting to this on my kids project truck. And, I think I still have a box from a Chevelle project that I had 25 years ago. :D

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

I used a Saginaw 525 in my 36 Pickup. It weighs about 3600#.

olscrounger likes this.
  17. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Given the size and weight of your truck I wouldn't even consider using a Vega sized box as it's suited to smaller and lighter cars less than 2,200lbs. The larger 525 is better suited given it's more robust and heavy than a Vega, maybe a larger and heavier Delphi 600 PS box. Will you have PS?
    http://classicperform.com/Dealer_Online/Html/CatalogPart3.pdf

X-cpe, olscrounger and trollst like this.
  18. raven

raven

No power steering, right now I’m using a task force steering box that nestled in the ‘C’ part of the frame. I’m using a Vega box in my Model A and was just trying to think outside the box. I like the idea of using the 525 box.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

guthriesmith likes this.
  19. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

They are inexpensive as well swap or bone being they used them in so many applications .

20. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I just ran across this thread while searching for Vega boxes. I am thinking of using a Vega box on my Model T speedster build. Even more after reading up on how you guys have used them. Copy of a old board track racer and light.