Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects And So It Begins

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Piewagn, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Piewagn

Piewagn

Blast cabinet is a blessing! Didn’t have access to one when I did the Tudor. I still can’t believe how little wear there is....I will have some standard Model A parts available when I’m done....still pluggin’ away....thanks fellas! IMG_1609.JPG IMG_1610.JPG IMG_1612.JPG IMG_1612.JPG

Attached Files:

brEad, Baron, Aaron D. and 2 others like this.
  2. Piewagn

Piewagn

Someone gave me this aftermarket spring, it only has 9 leaves while the stock spring has 10. Got it apart and it just looks heavier duty than the stock one. I want to remove a couple leaves because it’s even arched more and I want a softer ride. It looks like it’s been barely used and ends are all ragged looking. I broke it down and started the clean up/blasting process. I’m rounding off and dressing up the ends.....the bushings have barely ANY wear at all! Still pluggin’ away....any input on leaf removal ( how many, or none at all ) would be greatly appreciated.....thanks fellas! IMG_1620.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff and loudbang like this.
  3. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

loudbang likes this.
  4. Piewagn

Piewagn

Used a compass and made a template to trim the leaves...
    There are no witness marks on this spring, I don’t think it’s ever been installed on anything! The ends are just too ragged to not clean these up..... IMG_1622.JPG IMG_1623.JPG IMG_1624.JPG

5. Nice work- all progress is progress regardless of the speed at which you move forward! Keep it going!!

loudbang likes this.
  6. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thank you kind Sir! Things will pick up once I get the suspension and wheels done. I'm limited for time now because of other commitments, but I try to do at least one thing every day.......thanks for following along!

Big mike 1968 and loudbang like this.
  7. Piewagn

Piewagn

Came out nice! Still have to paint and assemble it....but I’m happy with it! IMG_1627.JPG IMG_1626.JPG

8. Piewagn

Piewagn

Still....virtually no wear! Bushings look good and the kingpins just have shiney spots! I’ll be replacing them though.....still don’t know which set of spindles I’m gonna use.... IMG_1628.JPG IMG_1629.JPG IMG_1631.JPG

9. loudbang

loudbang

10. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thank you! Gettin' things done when I can!

loudbang likes this.
  11. Piewagn

Piewagn

Getting ready for reassembly of the front suspension! I’m trying to pick up a later model longer wishbone assembly, don’t want to split the bones. Things cleaned up nicely and I’ll be picking up the paint this weekend. Thanks for following along fellas!! IMG_1638.JPG IMG_1642.JPG

oliver westlund, Tim, brEad and 6 others like this.
  12. Piewagn

Piewagn

I’m done ordering kingpin bushings and having them come in too short! I’m going with my ‘39 spindles and 3 different sets ordered for them were wrong! So a made my frigging own! I made a spiral grease groove in them with the boring bar....nice smooth fit!

IMG_1646.JPG IMG_1647.JPG IMG_1648.JPG IMG_1649.JPG IMG_1652.JPG

oliver westlund, Tim, brEad and 6 others like this.
  13. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Very nice

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Piewagn and loudbang like this.
  14. Those are '42-'48 spindles in your pictures; probably why the '39 bushings were short. Kingpins for the late spindles are longer, too

15. Piewagn

Piewagn

I ordered bushings for '42-'48 thinking I had the wrong year......they were wrong too! That's why I gave up..... I ordered 3 different year ranges and they all came too short. I already had the long kingpins and just got fed up with incompetence, wrong listings or what ever the case was. All I know is, I now have a set that work! Thanks for the input!

loudbang and Baron like this.
  16. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks Aaron!!

loudbang likes this.
  17. Piewagn

Piewagn

Unfortunately these are discontinued......which is the correct 1.3" measurement and the only other thing I had to go by was model year...which I tried. I wasn't chasing another set.....:D upload_2020-1-24_22-6-42.png

oliver westlund, loudbang and Baron like this.
  18. Piewagn

Piewagn

This was the last set I ordered.....no luck.....:( upload_2020-1-24_22-9-23.png

loudbang and Baron like this.
  19. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just for future reference, your local NAPA store can have them for you in a day or two. Nice that you have the lathe and knowledge to make your own. Nice job.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    kidcampbell71, Piewagn and loudbang like this.
  20. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks Baron! I never even thought of NAPA.....
    Thanks to you and Rich B, I've garnered new info to stash into the mental file for future reference! Thanks Fellas!!

21. loudbang

loudbang

Real good that you have the skills and tools to make your own. Problem solved. :)

22. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thank you Mr Bang! Gonna be nothing new this weekend. Woke up this morning and it was pouring rain and didn't feel like making the trek to work....back to bed. Must have needed the sleep, woke up at 10:58.......from thrashing I guess?

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  23. jclars

jclars
    from Lynden, WA

Hey Piewagn,

This is the first I have read your post, and am surprised what a similar path we are on with our projects. I have not done a build thread on the HAMB, mainly because it looked like it had all been done before. And I got a few flames with my truck project way back when. (Successful anyway.) Seemed like a bunch of old duffers at the time and now I are one.

I consider my 29 AV8 my last project too. I picked up just the body and deuce rails in So. CA 2 yr ago this June. My objective was to stay within the 50-60 era, and use some of my parts from various earlier 50-60 era projects. I had a bunch of flathead stuff donated by an 82 year old who finally realized (too late) that HE went past his "last" project. So good for me!

This last year was spent "mocking up" the entire drive train. I am using my F100 steering column with 3 on the tree. Mated to a shoebox 3 speed with overdrive and pedal assy. I mounted my steering box on the rail in order to make room for the column linkage. The flathead poses challenges that way. The rear end is from my 56 F100. Just today I finished reshaping the rear floor subframe and inner fenders to fit the deuce rails in back and still make room for the stock rumble seat. Mission accomplished!

I will now remove the body from the frame to do final structural welding and begin the body work.

Thanks for posting on your "last" project! I will stay tuned for sure! Sorry for checking in so late, as I could have been tracking with you early on!

John

Attached Files:

Tim, Pista_510, Big mike 1968 and 4 others like this.
  24. Piewagn

Piewagn

Awsome John! Glad to have you here! I see you went above the rail when I went under...:D
    It gives me a direct line to the trans with the linkage and sets my column angle perfect. We'll see how it goes, although you're a quite bit lower than I'll be going. I'll be staying more on the high side.....always like the higher rides....
    You've got a nice looking rod. You're using odds and ends just like I'm using, staying within the constraints of the budget I have. Thanks for droppin' in and check back often.....thanks man!

p.s. My plan is a yellow block too! :D:p

RICH B and loudbang like this.
  25. Piewagn

Piewagn

Dash blasted, trimmed and fitted...still needs some tweeking....I know it seems like I’m all over the place, but I have to pick the job for the day depending on what my tasks are at work. We’ve recently had an operator retire, so I’m running the machines....after they’re set up, they’ll run all day and I get to piddle around! Adjustments.JPG

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  26. koolbeans

koolbeans

Now thatsa kool.....

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Piewagn like this.
  27. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

Looking good there. I'm doing a 29 Coupe. Not to far away in Chester county.

loudbang and Piewagn like this.
  28. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thank you Mr Beans! Surprised you understood that.....ZERO proof reading earlier and even I had a hard time!:D:D Now edited for better understanding of the English language.....:D:D:D

loudbang likes this.
  29. Piewagn

Piewagn

I actually bumbled into a guy at the Downshifters spring swap and show who's Grandfather had this stashed. I actually took a friend of mine to look at it and he passed on it.....SCORE for me.......CHEAP!
    Have you been to the Downshifters swap and show?

loudbang likes this.
  30. Piewagn

Piewagn

Someone along the line cut the square hole in the center.....not sure what I'll do with it yet, but I'll figure it out......

loudbang likes this.