Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage So, who won the ambr?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Jan 25, 2020.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

We can't take credit for that, Alloway is in Tennessee and this car could easily pass for one of Bobbys' builds.

Pewsplace and cretin like this.
  2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

A bunch of ya'll are just jealous it ain't yours.:p

I didn't post it in advance, but I figured that would be the winner. If it was mine, I'd be proud of it and drive it too. If I could afford that type of build I wouldn't give a crap what anybody else said about it, either. It makes the owner happy, that's what it's all about! :D

HunterYJ and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

My comment that you quoted was regarding the engine and the paint. I share your dislike for all the things you mentioned, and I even mentioned that in my post, as well as the ugly ass wheels & tires.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Yes, its very 90's, and that full fendered roadster is in my opinion a 'nicer' looking car, but, aren't these cars judged on 'fit and finish', paint quality, interior quality, engineering etc etc? If this car racked up more points in all the required areas, then its the best car on the day. GNRS isn't a 'traditional' show, its an all encomapsing show, and AMBR can only be given to the cars entered for the award. That's car shows for you.

JimSibley, Special Ed and Chili Phil like this.
  5. gary kessler 1932

gary kessler 1932

I would bet P WOOD didn't vote for it !!

Never2low, da34guy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

The T bucket should have won - it rocked - how did the Kookie Kar and the “down under” Uncertain T come out?

7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Love the flames,but not much other then that,hate wheels n IFS

Deuces, Blues4U and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Come on everybody. This isn't even worth our attention. We're not Top-40 listeners anyway. Can we please go back to pretending it's 1965? All that OT stuff is making me nauseous.

Here's a calming pic to start the healing..... tapatalk_1557681966567.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

10. fuzzface

fuzzface

I see they are trying to get all past Ambr winners together in one building for the 75th show. I would like to see that. Gives me 4 years to make plans for it.

Nicholas Coe, bct and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I wonder what it will sell for at Barrett’s

joel likes this.
  12. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Too much patina and flat paint.....

36cab, Nicholas Coe and HunterYJ like this.
  13. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

My problem with this car as the winner aside from the fact that I absolutely hate big wheels with rubber band tires, is that there is nothing unique about it. Yes, it's a nice high quality built car but it's no different than a thousand other Deuce roadsters out there. If you are going to say something is "the most beautiful" it should be something you can pick out of a crowd. If this car was in the roadster section at LARS I'd walk right past it without even a first glance.

15. Boom! You are totally right sir! That whole Hotrod thing will never catch on.

Nick

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

arkiehotrods and Blues4U like this.
  16. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

By the pic look like a Very Nice car , Like others have said , We are Here on the HAMB because Most of us are into Pre 70s Hot Rods ,Race Cars , Kustoms .
    Maybe The AMBR should revolve ,
    Pre war
    Post war & so on classes

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  17. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

Yeah. That one was bitchin.

18. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Kugel Muroc (1 of 10 built) Old build redone for this show.

jim snow likes this.
  19. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

I’ve gotten plenty of grief from street rodders over the years, “those juice brakes are junk, bias ply tires are crap, etc etc etc.” makes no difference. Very much used to these types of cars winning AMBR. If it’s any consolation- street rodders are kind of bummed on the popularity of traditional cars , As evidenced by the snarky comments.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  20. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I was there and walked right past this car, looking at the pics it’s something that would normally draw me in , I think perhaps that speaks volumes on color selection

K13 likes this.
  21. I agree completely. I wasnt there to see it in person but from pictures, to me, the colour looks like it was picked from a car in a retirement home parking lot. Boring.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. 34Larry

34Larry

Damn there is a really rough tough crowd sprinkled in among the membership. I'm not one of the favored ones around here so my tiny opinion doesn't matter as much a many, many of you but I like the car much more than most any of the so called top contenders. The one thing I detest though is what this car and a whole bunch have theses days and that is that being that shinny makes it look PLASTIC !:eek::eek:
    It seems odd to me though that a strongly biased traditional only crowd, would profess any car that is a stellar example of that time period to not be consistent with representing America's Best. o_Oo_O

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

anthony myrick likes this.
  24. 34Larry

34Larry

:) ,thumbs up agreed!:) ,thumbs up agreed!:) ,thumbs up agreed!:) ,thumbs up agreed!:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

25. How is a stretched out '32 with independent suspension, billet wheels and an LS1 in any way a stellar example of a pre 1964 hot rod? I don't love or hate the car but it has nothing to do with what goes on here other than a model year.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

jim snow likes this.
  26. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

You guys had to see this coming. . . AMBR has been a street rod favoring deal for a long time, with a few exceptions. The majority of us HAMBers build and drive our HOTRODS.
    The contenders for this trophy are purpose built trophy cars. Every nut, bolt, wire, pipe, bracket, cable, cotter pin, etc. Has to be 100%. Nevermind fit, finish, million dollar paint. We can be critical about the AMBR but we have to remember what the builders and owners are after.

27. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

31246776-643E-4456-A70C-2DFD5610DFA0.jpeg I’m very biased towards traditional, I’m not exactly sure how judges can’t be biased to their preference , if it’s just strictly a points for modifications deal I’m afraid we would be back to hemi powered outhouses,

to me it looked like a very soft year , there were some well built cars but they all seemed to have quirks , nothing really grabbed me , knee jerk was that kugel car was it ...but then I thought it looked similar to most Boyd’s, Alloway, and foose builds , its one of 10 so it’s assembly line build ... sooo I kinda thought they wouldn’t for that reason

it’s a little hard to think it’s NOT a bit of a good ol boys club type thing though .. I’d be surprised if something like a basic orange 32 roadster could be built in a garage by a nobody and win again

jim snow and wheeldog57 like this.
  28. iron dave

iron dave

If I wanted a smooth 80mph ride might as well take the late model out

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19Eddy30 and jim snow like this.
  29. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

And if you check out the winners list from 1950 to 1965 , starting with Blackies T in 1955 all except maybe Rich Guasco's 29 in 1961 where Show Rods, the Ala Kart, Emperor , Twister T , Tex Smiths hand built, The King T and Caspers Ghost! That's the HAMB era . Most of you would not have been happy then either! Traditional did not have anymore of a chance then than now. Show cars are show cars and awards are point driven! Applaud the craftsmanship not the style! And to be honest many of the Traditional cars here on the HAMB have become just as belly button styled as any of Boyds Red 32's! Workmanship is the only thing that makes any car standout! Larry

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    Stogy, redo32, Chili Phil and 2 others like this.