Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 34 ford 3w made entirely from junk!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Hold on! "Finished look, quality build, under $5000!" Now, that is a task, Jim, hahaha Can't wait to see this done.

loudbang likes this.
  2. I wasn't sure whether it was $50,000 or $5,000. In Jim's post, it shows $50k...but assumed he meant $5k as most parts were cast offs in hand.

Btw, love the build.

Outback and loudbang like this.
  3. JimSibley

JimSibley

Originally I stated 50000$ just as a point to say I’m not spending a ton of money on it. $5000. Is a good goal. I’m more interested in it being nice and not overly expensive.

4. Either way, it's amazing task to build anything out of spare parts, and have it look so cool.

loudbang likes this.
  5. JimSibley

JimSibley

FA3F94D5-8B96-4E48-9A3D-7CB016B681F9.jpeg 6EEC2FCC-0172-4114-A51F-A20504A9B2B6.jpeg 82379EA6-36FB-4DB1-8440-3FA226B69C07.jpeg A little progress. Mounted the engine, trans and front end. The car is at ride height in the pics, assuming I run a 29 inch tire in the rear and a 24 inch tire up front. Not a lot of room for the tunnel, but I’m short, it will work.

Outback, TFoch, Paul Ashley and 31 others like this.
  6. ^^^^^^
    that sir, is what hotrodding is all about. Leave the restoring to the corvette crowd. Mix old with new, add a little creativity, and create a masterpiece.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks Wild Jim, Like Your Eyes...:D...apart from having fun you actually highlight how close we are to what Powers us to the checkered flag...at least the pumpkins behind you...:)

Outback, Thor1, brady1929 and 2 others like this.
  8. JimSibley

JimSibley

Now we figure out steering. I’m thinking of using an old box I have from a boat, hooked to a set of bicycle cranks and out the side as a suicide steering set up. It wont be easy, but I have it and with the history I have in box, I’m liking the crank setup.

loner2, mad mikey, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  9. goldmountain

goldmountain

loudbang likes this.
  10. Billy_Bottle_Caps

Billy_Bottle_Caps

Awesome build, subscribed...

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Wow! 2 months and a few days on the HAMB and he's already joined the trad police:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  12. Nope, just a serious question. Didn't know if this was gonna be to race in a class that needed the frame to pass an inspection. Sorry for being a new guy. Have a nice day.

13. Don’t take it too seriously, @Lloyd's paint & glass. If @dirty old man had seen your thread or some of the posts & support you’ve shown other members, he would’ve known it was a serious question and not snark.

14. Thanks man. Might have just joined this outfit but i bet I've built more cars than most. Not like I'm a new car guy. And cool build on the 34 also. Meant no disrespect. Guess ya gotta wear velvet gloves around here.

15. JimSibley

JimSibley

Actually it was a good question. I am hoping to drag race the car when it’s done, but as I said before, I’m building it from junk I have, and the tubing was leftover junk that I had.besides that drag master was building tube chassis cars in the 50s so it’s period correct to me.

16. Yeah Jim i was asking because i didn't know what direction you were going. Thanks for not taking it the wrong way. Besides, I'm a fireman, it's insulting to be called a cop lol.

17. JimSibley

JimSibley

as For direction, kinda salt flats style , but I want to
    Drive it on the street and show it off, I will swap tires to drag race it, just because the drag strip is a lot closer and easier to
    Tech for than bonneville .

18. JimSibley

JimSibley

5FFA13FA-7A7D-447A-9DDF-C12255A96AB2.jpeg 2E6693B4-18B4-47F8-BC91-41DD7872BE4D.jpeg A little steering, Rube Goldberg style. I needed it to drop a lot, and it needed to turn the opposite direction of the free steering box that I had. This was all solved with the addition of the bmx bicycle cranks. It works incredibly well. It will all fit behind the cowl and if my math is correct it will come out of the lower corner of the firewall, clean and simple.

indyjps, Outback, TFoch and 21 others like this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd just say that all of us who have been on here for a while are so glad to see that Jim is healthy enough and feeling good enough to get out in the shop and build it that the chassis appearing to be of a more up to date design doesn't bother us. Beats the hell out of some of those rigs in Old photos that had driveshafts for roll bars that still had the yoke on them.
    I for one happen to learn something every time I go over his posts that I might be able to use myself and if my lotto number ever comes up as a big winner he is only three hours away.

20. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Another one subscribing, this will be good!

21. goldmountain

goldmountain

I'm thinking that bicycle crank idea would be perfect for making a WATTS linkage.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Earlier in this thread I said "nope, it can't be done". you can't build that body and frame outta that junk.;)
    HOLY CRAP...was I ever wrong...this is the coolest build I've ever seen. Nothing but out-of-the-box thinking and pure craftmanship (and a little junk)

I'm subscribed !!!!

23. -Brent-

-Brent-

I love this build!

Jim, do you have any pals that do chassis tech for the local tracks or someone who has worked with chassis design? They might be able to point some things out while you're in the process.

Outback, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  24. JimSibley

JimSibley

nope, I’m flying by the seat of my pants.

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome to Our World Hotrod...I've had front row seats since 2007, Oh Yeah...Go Jim Go...Rear Fenders and Cycle Fronts @JimSibley?just curious I mean I thought of Those Wild Ones Baris put on the Chrismann Coupe in the Early 60s

Outback, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  26. JimSibley

JimSibley

Chrisman coupe fenders would be great, although I’m going with a little more tire on the back than barrister did, so the fenders will require a little thought.

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes you mentioned the Strip so Cheater Type Slicks for those Short bursts of 1/4 mile Wild Fink...I gotta Vision Jim...;)

brady1929 and loudbang like this.
  28. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim, you're making me smile.

JimSibley and loudbang like this.
  29. JimSibley

JimSibley

No pics today, I worked on the floor structure and seat layout, nothing to look at just a lot of figuring and a little cut and weld. I’m hoping to put a floor in the chassis next weekend.

30. Wow , I'm subscribed !!!

loudbang likes this.