Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Heat- or the lack of it - UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Man, I hope not, I've been through that crap with my late model Ram truck, that system is junk. HRP

2. I'll check this out tomorrow, I need to crank it up and let it idle a while. HRP

3. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

I think you have an airlock in your heater core. The air can compress and stop the circulation. If you disconnect the hose to the intake you should be able to get the air to move out. If you're careful, you won't make too much of a mess.:rolleyes:

Desoto291Hemi, nochop and flatford39 like this.
  4. It's something else to try, when the heat & air was installed I charged the air and it wasn't doing a good job of cooling and I figured out the water was circulating while the air was on, I then installed the cut off valve to stop the flow. HRP

5. Budget36

Budget36

As a younger guy, I always ran a 160 stat, that said...the heat was...let's say minimal.

It did keep my GF next to me though;)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. sunbeam

sunbeam

With a Zips riser you will need the heater on all the time or a bypass hose for the engine to cool right The pump will only be able to circulate coolant in the engine when the theromostat is open causing hot spots to form. If you look at the picture of your riser on the right side you will see the small hole is blocked off GM put it there for water to circulate when the theromostat is closed.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  7. The zips riser has been on the car for 30 years with the block off and for close to a year with the current configuration with no overheating problems. HRP

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    norms30a likes this.
  8. sunbeam

sunbeam

Maybe your heater is circulating other wise with out that hole the water pump can't move coolant in the block until the thermostat opens. Without that circulation you will have hot spots in the engine.

9. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Don't know just when Vintage Air started calling them that but thats what GM calls the one on my 2000 Chevy truck. It got stuck on the heat side during a 200+ mile trip on a hot humid day. Wife was not happy. (Neither was I)Here is a Vintage Air diagram posted below. If you look near the bottom of the diagram you will see the Blend Door.

Vintage Air 3 001.jpg

arkiehotrods and squirrel like this.
  10. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Here are a couple of troubleshooting Tips from Vintage Air for checking out Heater problems.
    Vintage Air 1 001.jpg

Vintage Air 2 001.jpg

arkiehotrods, BJR and loudbang like this.
  11. rtp

rtp

I have seen this and did it my self once.
    Were there plastic plugs in the heatercore to keep trash out during shipping?
    If so ,are they still there?
    Had a buddy do this once . he tried to figure out why there was no water flow to the core for 2 days.
    I came by to help,was reading the instructions when I saw 1 red cap in the box and asked where was the other one.
    He pulled the hoses... There in one of the pipes was a red plug.
    Maybe not your problem but .......
    RTP

Sent from my VS987 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. jdcool44

jdcool44

Is it possible you plumbed it wrong? Need one side on the pressure side of the system other on the suction. Right?

13. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

A laser thermometer can be very useful in tracking down a heat / cooling issue . An air lock will stop heat , but most of the time they will work themselves out after a few cycles , HRP has driven and cycled his car many times . 160* stat isn’t going to produce 160* air in your car . This is why I suggest using the laser to determine where if any blockage is present and what temp is really in and out of the heater core . It does seem as if the old style heater control valve is being used as nothing but a restriction to keep the water from flowing to fast through the new system . If you look inside of of those control valves they are not a 100% closing valve as one would think . It will really surprise you at them of the inlet coolant temp from your radiator to the pump on a running engine . My old Cummins has a 180* stat in it and it returns back to the pump at 85* . You could not make it run hot by blocking off the radiator in the summer . Just food for thought again you need to track down some real temps to try to determine , where and if maybe you just need to up the stat temp . The type of bung that you install the hoses to could cause a real flow issue also , some can cause the effect of crimping back on a water hose at home with the hose nozzle . Good Luck ,a cold wife , never means good life !

14. studebaker46

studebaker46

Danny does your unit have the separate temp switch on the the evap housing (see troubleshooting chart) the come shipped with it set for cool. we know it is circulating because you had to put a shutoff valve to make it cool. jus a suggestion. Tom

15. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

A heat air unit has to have a blend door of sorts to change from heat to defrost to air conditioning. I would make sure that the the A/C isn’t on when you are running the heater. Maybe the switch isn’t working right.

i.rant likes this.
  16. BJR

BJR

I did this when installing a garbage disposal on a friends sink. I could not figure out why the dishwasher would not drain. Turns out there was a plug in the dishwasher drain inlet on the disposal that I didn't see. Removed it and everything worked OK.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  17. You guys are a bunch of pussy's . No heaters in my cars!;)
    IMG_6459.JPG
    Of course I don't go out of the house!:rolleyes::p

18. LoL,,,,ahhhhh,,,Winter time in Connecticut.

I like the Flag on the front porch !

Tommy

AmishMike and ct1932ford like this.
  19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Jim has you covered. Do you have a temp gun? If so point it at the hose coming from the intake and see how far back the heat get's. Now, this may not help much if there is secondary internal valve not opening? But you get the idea, it's about finding the dead zone.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  20. sunbeam

sunbeam

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  21. Dennis D

Dennis D

Glad to hear I ain't the only one that has done this! D

22. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I’ve see ports being clogged with ca-ca before. ca-ca being some sort of unidentifiable material of un-known origins

23. That's funny Mark, I don't have heat although I do have a heater! :D

That's pretty but it looks cold, and here in the Sunny South I was out driving my hot rod this morning. :) It's in he 50's today so heat's no big deal. HRP

nochop and ct1932ford like this.
  24. I don't have a temperature gun but I called a friend that is a mechanic and he has one so I'm taking the car to him the first of the week. HRP

lippy and pprather like this.
  25. squirrel

squirrel

They sell them at walmart, not expensive....you will be surprised how much you use it, when you have it

26. Gman0046

Gman0046

Have to admit a garbage disposal got me as well. The one I installed had an internal piece of plastic moulded into the dishwasher fitting that needed to be punched out with a screw driver. Thats what I got for not reading the instructions.

BJR likes this.
  27. Gman0046

Gman0046

HRP, you might save yourself a lot of time by calling VA's tech support. Most probably an easy fix.

Gary

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. Dennis D

Dennis D

Like checking the interior temp on hot days, tool box temp:D just to use it. Great tool
    and even a greater toy! D

29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Have cats?

30. We have had quite a few nice days this Winter. Problem is not the temperature it,s the salt all over the roads.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Truckdoctor Andy and seb fontana like this.