Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Heat- or the lack of it - UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 25, 2020.

1. I thought I was read for winter this year after installing a interior and a Vintage Air init in the old beater, I drove the car to the Saturday hot rod breakfast this morning and with the temperature hovering around 36 degrees I decided to try the heat out, I drove about 15 miles and the air never got even warm.

I have a block off to keep the hot water from running through the unit during the summer and I opened the valve, still no heat.

I believe my thermostat may be the problem, the temperature on the gauge never got about 160 degree and I'm just spitballing here but I probably have a 180 od higher degree thermostat.

There is plenty of water & antifreeze in the radiator.

Is there anything else I need to look at? HRP

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  2. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Thermostat stuck open.

biggeorge, HOTRODPRIMER and Dave Mc like this.
  3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Check your flow through your heater hoses. I’d think even at 160 degrees you’d be feeling quite a bit of heat.
    Is the switch for unit actually turning the unit to heat?
    Pull the units outflow by removing the heater hose going back to the engine and check to see if the switch is activating the unit.
    Poor southern boy cold. Omg.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  4. squirrel

squirrel

Where are the heater hoses connected on the engine? And what does the AC unit use to control the heat? Some modern ones have a control valve that's integrated into the control system, and you turn the HEAT knob up to get more water flow. But there are several different systems they make, and we'd need to know exactly what you have to make better guesses.

160 degrees engine heat is plenty to keep you warm, if the heater is working.

Blues4U, Johnny Gee, Hnstray and 3 others like this.

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

all the old accessory heaters had a bleeder on top , they wont circulate with air in the system, do you have a bleeder?

6. squirrel

squirrel

I've never seen a bleeder on a heater. One hose in, one hose out, the water from the "hot" side of the engine has more pressure than the water going out of the heater into the water pump inlet. The pressure difference is what makes the water circulate through the heater.

7. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Agree.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My first guess would be cavitation...air in the heater hoses...especially if you heater core inlets/outlets are high up on the firewall. They would have a hard time getting water if they are high enough and the water level in the radiator was a little low. Just a thought.

HOTRODPRIMER and flatford39 like this.
  9. goldmountain

goldmountain

Put your hand around the heater hoses. Is one hotter than the other one? If it is, flush out the heater core. A buddy of mine would just drive into a car wash bay, unhook the heater hoses and blast through with the wash wand. Of course, this is in Canada in the dead of winter and that was a semi-warm place to work.

HOTRODPRIMER and flatford39 like this.
  10. I have a Zip's riser which has a bleeder valve at the top of the riser, this setup uses a Chevrolet 6 cylinder water pump. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

catdad49 likes this.
  11. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Some old heaters, such as Hadees, had a bleeder valve at the top to vent the system and not have an air lock or bubble in the core. As suggested check both hoses for equal heat, make sure any water heat valve is open, if it is a a/c -heat combo is it doing the correct function.

12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I just installed a Vintage Air heat and air unit in my 47 Buick. Is your heater valve on the hose an electric one? Lippy

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. Gman0046

Gman0046

goldmountain, HRP doesn't have a heater core in his Deuce. He has a brand new Vintage Air system. Reread HRP's original post. The heat/cool coil is in the Evaporator unit.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

He just telling us how cool his ride is....:)

15. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

New heater or old heater they all have a heater core, if it is at the highest point it can have an air lock.

Old Hadees heater - with air bleed at the top;

IMG_2703.jpg

16. pitman

pitman

Air can be trapped in a high point,
    on a closed system.
    I've cracked hose connections open and bled air on 'custom' read: higher mounted heater cores.

17. raven

raven

That would mean he’s bragging again...

r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Is it an under dash unit? Lippy

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Jim, I have the Vintage Air Gen Air II

One hose is attached to the water pump the other hose is attached to the intake. HRP
    001.JPG

003.JPG

20. The unit is new and shouldn't have any obstruction. I also flushed the radiator while I was installing the system. HRP

pitman and dana barlow like this.
  21. I installed it in the dash, the controls are under the dash. HRP

[​IMG]

catdad49 and dana barlow like this.
  22. BJR

BJR

Where on the intake is the line attached? Post a picture. Like was said earlier, is one hose hotter than the other going to the heater?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

LOL,you live in bumphucked ejiup,I never have those prob.s
    I just hind if it feels like I should have socks on for one day a year,it's Miami,we don't do socks.

Desoto291Hemi and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. Rick, that's exactly why we live in the South, I hate winter and cold weather. HRP

25. I took a photo but it's pretty crappy, I'll try again after dinner. HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  26. squirrel

squirrel

this valve is supposed to have a cable connected to control it? Did you manually move it from one position to the other and check for heat? and back again the other way and check for heat?

heat.JPG

nunattax, pitman, Cosmo49 and 6 others like this.
  27. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

If the inlet / return hoses are hot/warm, I would check to see if the "blend" door in the unit is moving when you operate the temperature control. If it isn't moving/ stuck, then air is not flowing over the heated coils. Might be an air problem rather than a coolant problem.

28. squirrel

squirrel

When did Vintage Air start using Blend doors? that's news to me

Moriarity and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. Yes sir, it didn't make any difference, I do realize I neglected to add the cable to control the valve and intend to do that in the future but it didn't seem to make any difference, BTW, the air worked great back in July & August. :rolleyes: HRP

30. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

If you are running around 160 degF, you will get heat if you are circulating fluid. Are BOTH hoses hot where they enter the firewall? One may be a bit warmer but both need to be quite warm. If they are not, you are not moving fluid through the core. Obstruction or air lock. (We are pretty particular about heaters where I live......)

pitman, VANDENPLAS and Desoto291Hemi like this.