Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1960's Sports & GT Symbols used in European Racing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by a-snake, Jan 25, 2020.

1. a-snake

a-snake
    from USA

Seeking more information about decals/stickers used in European Sports & GT racing in the 50's & 60's. They were used to denote engine size. As I understand it, it allowed other cars to know if the car ahead was in the same engine class. I believe there were a few different 'shapes'. A cutout star, a cutout square, a cutout diamond and perhaps another shape. The cutout allows the body color of the car to show through. The background I believe was either white or yellow depending whether it was used on Sports or GT classes. I've searched and can not find more information on line. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Attached Files:

2. Boodlum

Boodlum

What race was this? 1965 Rheims 12-Hour? Schlesser Daytona Cobra wore #26 in that race but I don't remember a #27 Cobra. Backup car maybe? Car #27 that year was a Ferrari 250 GTO driven by Sears/Whitmore.

(Carroll Shelby and Jim Hall both ran Texas license plates on their respective cars.)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  3. BJR

BJR

What does this have to do with traditional hot rods?

X38 likes this.
  4. a-snake

a-snake
    from USA

Yes, I believe this is '65 Reims. CSX2299 driben by Sears/Whitmore. 9th OA and 2nd GT. https://www.racingsportscars.com/results/Reims-1965-07-04-2425.html

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

There are quite a few FB sites that you might search for, historical sports car racing-wise.