Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rough per mile estimate for auto shipping???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alteredpilot, Jun 17, 2011.

1. the reason i'm asking here is because i dont wanna spend time filling out random shipping quote requests for cars i probably wont buy and wind up getting my inbox and phone clogged for the next month.

the last car i had shipped ran me about $.50/mile, but that was in '04. i'm looking thru the classifieds and trying to estimate shipping so i can gauge whether i'd bother with shipping.

any idea what the 'rough' per mile shipping costs are these days??? i'm not talking about enclosed, climate controlled velvet lined transporters, just good old fashioned reliable shipping.

thanks.

2. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I got $ to ship a car from Maine to PA. about 600 miles. As I remember the $ ranged from $400 to $1000, open to enclosed trailer, probably no insurance to insured.

3. It's going to be all over the place, and with hauling you really get what you pay for.

What you have to watch is the lower rates. Most companies are just brokers who hire out the haul to the trucker and when a truck is going in your general direction, if a driver is willing to haul it for a cut of your rate then the car rides from one terminal to the next. The problem is a lot of times by the time it gets to the last terminal before it comes to you there's not enough money left for it to be worth anyone's time to go out of their way to drop it off to you. But of course then they have your money, so there's not much you can do about it.

Often it's less hassle, if the car will run and go, to just fly or get a ride to where it is with your plates and registration, and drive it back.

4. Crankbox

Crankbox

It really depends on the distance. Other factors like fuel cost and the type of vehicle also matter, but I'd say 50 cents per mile is a good general estimate. It will be more per mile for shorter trips probably, and a little less for longer ones. As an example, I used this company last year
    https://www.a1autotransport.com/services/car-shipping-rates.php and it was around 30 cents per mile, but it was almost all the way across the country. I thought that most shippers would give you an estimate for free anyway, but I've not done this too often.

5. phat rat

phat rat

I don't believe you'll get anyone other than a broker that'll go as low as .30-.50 a mile. Personally I wouldn't even consider doing it at that price. By the time you figure fuel, food, room and wear and tear on the truck and trailer you'd be loosing money unless your hauling a few at a time

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$1.00 per mile enclosed around here.

7. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

$1-$2 per mile.

8. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

One American dollar for each mile traveled.

9. k9racer

k9racer

As I was told by a person who purchased a car from me thru Hemmings Motor News . One of the problems is the laws on car hauling /trucking are different in Calif than the rest of the US . I was told the quote to Nevada was 90 cents per mile but to calif it went up to 2 dollars. So the Buyer had the car drop made in nevada and he drove the rest of the way home.. This car that was a little new by 5 years for the board.

10. The OP posted in 2011 - I think he moved the car by now ...

Jim

chopped, dad-bud and clem like this.
  11. clem

clem

Yep, you wonder how a 5 year old thread comes up like that.......

12. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, he sure has been waiting a while...

13. 73RR

73RR

Typical newbie screw-up...they simply do not make the effort to actually look at the thread before posting...
    I wish Ryan could add a red flag or something to a post after 'x' time elapses after the last post so it would be easier to spot them.

14. Ryan expects us to do some of this for ourselves. I've sent him a couple of PMs before that I'm sure he just rolled his eyes. He always answered

15. robertallinson

robertallinson

Ryan has made the transition from the old dump to the brand new Tesla. :p

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Second post and you post bull shit like that? on a thread that had been dead for three and a half years before you posted on it?

Just Gary and hotrodjack33 like this.
  17. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X2 ...and the original post is 9 years old:mad:

Just Gary likes this.