Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Looking for advice on carbide holesaw kit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ziggster, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Ziggster

Ziggster

A few years ago, I found a site about the best carbide hole saw kit, but can't find it now. I will be needing a quality carbide holesaw kit to drill out a series of holes in my frame rails (11 Ga) and other similar gauges. If you have any advice it would be much appreciated.

2. Stooge

Stooge

i have a few sets of Blair cutters, the spot weld cutter kit, a rotabroach set and some of the holecutters that they sell. a little spendy but make quick clean work of it. https://www.blairequipment.com/products

3. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Any good hole saw brand will work. I use Milwalkee only because HD is around the corner, but if you can readly get Blu-Mol, I like those, try and get the ones with the least amount of openings to reduce flex.
    Next lets talk about process, Too bad we cant use a drill press or mill to cut properly with the correct pressure, too light is just as bad as to much, once the pilot hole is drilled, replace the bit with a solid rod to support the saw arbor and eliminate side cutting of the drill, slow speed an clearing of the chips along with a lot of cutting oil, consider this to be a 2-man deal. Also think about wrapping some bungees to help pulling the drill motor into the material, trying to drill horizontal after awhile get tiresome

seb fontana likes this.
  4. Ziggster

Ziggster

I have a Milwaukee kit which has served me well, but I need something a little more heavy duty for the amount of holes that I need to make. It will likely be in the dozens. I guess, technically I need a holecutter and not a hole saw. I'll be using my drill press, and have always used lots of cutting fluid, but with the carbide, it seems a lube stick is preferred.

5. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I save the circles I cut out and dress the edges on a belt sander. Then I toss them in a drawer and save them for when I need some type of large thick washer to back something up or just fill some other hole.;)

6. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I use Hougen Hole cutters

Boneyard51 likes this.
  7. I've used a number of the above listed different brands of bi-metal holesaws with good success on frames. Drill slowly, and use lubricant/coolant (I often use wd40 in a squirt bottle...it's a bit smoky, but I always have it handy).

On my most recent chassis boxing plates, I used some patterns that I made, and traced the patterns with the plazma cutter. Both methods work well.

Ziggster likes this.
  8. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A trick I learned after you've made the pilot hole and started the cut , pull the drill back out and use a 1/4 drill bit and drill a few holes along the circle so the chips drain out the backside and don't pack up in the saw teeth

rod1, Ziggster and Boneyard51 like this.
  9. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use Lenox brand hole saws from Lowe's or Home Depot, run your drill slow and use a 90/10 water and dish washing detergent mixture in a spray bottle set to almost stream. Shooting the mixture directly into the kerf aids greatly in removing the chips. Don't be afraid to keep it wet. I've done this a lot on steel structural beams and haven't burned a saw up yet. Way cheaper and cleans up a lot easier than using oil

seb fontana, Ziggster and Boneyard51 like this.
  10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Saw Blades Direct quit making hole saws a while back. Maybe 18 months. But they had thousands of saws still in inventory. They were selling them cheap on the LandRacing web site . I bought some and they are very nice. As good as any I have used before. I looked and the site is down now, but you can call 636 224 0004 and ask for John L they might still have some left.

11. error404

error404
    from CA

I use the lenox hole saws as well, they seem to work fine. I've notched alot of .120 wall tubing with them, they seem to last a good while. I never use them on metal without some sort of oil or fluid.

12. Ziggster

Ziggster

Ok. I have a cheap plasma cutter and never thought about using it to cut out the holes. I'll have to check into this a bit more. Thanks.

13. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I'LL BET A WOODEN TEMPLATE WITH THE APPROPRIATE SIZED HOLE(S) COULD BE CLAMPED TO YOUR CHASSIS AND THE PLASMA CUTTER WOULD MAKE SHORT WORK OF IT.

14. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I fish mouthed a bunch of .120 DOM tubing building my lakester. Use only bimetalic
    hole saws,run the slow,and use lubricant.

15. Budget36

Budget36

Drill a starter hole first. I still think a holesaw would work better, provided your setup runs true. Holesaw would be a lot less clean up (IMO) than the little "oops" of the plasma torch.

16. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Lenox carbide hole saws are amazing, but expensive. I bought a couple for cutting stainless, and they went through it like butter. Bi-metal barely scratched it.

Shop around on price. Zoro seemed to have the best prices, but glacially slow shipping.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Blu-Mol is what I have. The set of them that I have has served me well