Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What solid axle to use on a 53 Ford Mainline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan Todd, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Dan Todd

Dan Todd

I am not doing this because I am looking for a good handling car that I am going to take cross country. I am building it because it is on my bucket list and it is going to be a good weekend cruiser.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Truck and van axles were used for this very purpose quite a bit. Chrysler even had a parts kit to put an A100 axle under B-body cars back in the mid '60's. Post some pics when you get time Dan, I would like to see what you have going on.

seb fontana likes this.
  3. I love the looks of a gasser.
    My father had a 62 chevy ll with a straight axle from a 62 chevy van. Had the hiboy look going on. As a young boy I loved riding around in it with him. It would pull the front end off the ground a few inches. Very cool. My cousin had a 54 chevy gasser street car also

Sent from my smartass phone when it wants toThe H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Tube axles were far and few between before 1965 so using a truck I Beam of some brand is more correct for Dan's build than a Kit from Speedway. Disc front brakes were new to most factory cars and little had made it to the Drag race side yet.

5. southcross2631

southcross2631

A well done truck axle conversion will drive pretty good, it won't win any parking lot slalom races. It won't be evil and ill handling like some people would make you believe.
    On a street gasser I would use a power steering box. I have converted several straight axle pickup trucks to power steering and it makes a big difference.
    It also looks cool to drill a truck axle, hard to do with a round hollow tube axle.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  6. Dan Todd

Dan Todd

What kind of drill bit do you use to drill a truck axle? I have wore out many trying to do this....

7. Probably related to the speed of the drill. Most "home" drill presses are on the way too fast side for a 1" drill bit; you would probably have better luck with a good hole saw and plenty of lube. The web on truck axles is a little thicker than a Ford I-beam; but not so much as to make a difference.

8. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Hey Dan it's your car, do what you want. There is no reason why you have to put up with the abuse you will get from some people here. Do what you want and go for it, JUST SAYING!!!

9. 6sally6

6sally6

Welcome Dan!!
    Most of these guys are "OK"....seems there is some sorta tradition on here to be snippy & rude:eek: to guys that don't notice the age limit of allowed cars (nothing newer than 65) and words that can't be used like LS, rat rod, V dubs (and a few more "RULES")!
    I just don't mention my 66 M-word. I just call it my Ford or (SBF).
    Anyway...it kinda fun to give the new guy a bunch-of-crap so welcome to the club. I had a 54 Crestline back in the mid 60's and I still like'm.
    Sooooooooo 'If you're gonna 'dick-up' a perfectly good old Ford with a stupid look'in straight axle.......please don't have it jacked up so high you can coon hunt with it'!! :D
    Maybe the straight axle but have the front setting down nice and low. Maybe leave off the front bumper so the axle can be seen. A chromed tube axle would look sweet sorta semi-hidden under front.
    Just my thoughts.
    6sally6