Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Little tips and tricks for garage hobbyists.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Jul 30, 2019.

1. To get an oil filter off recently I drilled 4 holes in a big washer which was then welded to a
    piece of 1/4" x 1" x 18" flat stock.
    Next 4 sheet metal screws were screwed into the filter bottom and I used an adjustable
    wrench to turn the flat stock.
    Weird what a guy has to do sometimes!

2. 6sally6

6sally6

Coulda just drove a 'trashed' phillips head screwdriver(a bigg'un) through the filter.
    What bites even worser is the turdz that jack-down on the oil drain plug so much that you roundoff the shoulder of the drain plug/bolt. The fix for that is a cut off wheel and slice off two sides of the plug.....then get on it with a crescent hammer.
    HATE to 'come behind somebody' and hafta change oil & filter.......Jus do it myself
    6sally6

3. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

In my years selling tools I found the guys having the most trouble removing oil filters and drain plugs were the ones working at dealerships. That first service was usually included with the purchase, and it was the most important one ever for the vehicle. Nothing is tighter than a OEM filter, and it seemed that the Dodge Boys were the worst offenders!

loudbang, mad mikey and Boneyard51 like this.
  4. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After 25 pages and six months, this gets moved? Isn't this what traditional hot rodding is all about, doing by the seat of your pants.
    Warren

Boneyard51 likes this.
  5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

In my hoard of tools, you will find all kinds of filter wrenches. One that has never failed to get a filter off is one that looks like a big spring circling the filter. It is designed to “grip” the filter 360 degrees, so it doesn’t crush it. They come in different sizes, I think, I only have one and it won’t work on some of the smaller filters.
    I have some various “strap” wrenches and chain wrenches that work great also. Also some three fingered gear type . And I have some bent regular type oil filter wrenches , also! Lol

Bones

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    loudbang, mad mikey and Ron Brown like this.
  6. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yea i have several strap and band type wrenches as well...wouldn't even budge it.

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

How did you get it off? It looks like there are a lot of channel lock marks on the end of the filter. How did removing the pan help? Able to get better access? What finally got it off?

Bones

loudbang likes this.
  8. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I worked on the lube rack at a Chevrolet dealer in 1970. I had one filter that wouldn't budge after all the tricks and tools mentioned here were tried. The final thing was cutting all the canister away with an air chisel. Then walking off the remaining flange using the air chisel with a flat punch. The vibration works better than brute force.

Used this a couple of times later teaching Auto Shop. Also helps to apply the correct verbiage while doing this.

9. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

My worst experience: Filter defied all my "regular wrenches" including strap, chain etc. Large channel locks crushed the can and big screwdriver through the can just tore it to pieces. Wound up drilling a couple holes in a short piece of scrap flat stock to match the holes in the base, brazed a couple bolts in them to make a pin wrench, and then brazed a T handle made with scrap round rod in the center of the backside. Very crude looking but finally got the job done. Left it hanging on the wall for years as cheap insurance against ever having to go through the process again, might have since been lost during some moves.

Ed

loudbang, impala4speed and Boneyard51 like this.
  10. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

First filter change on my 3500 with a Cummins was the worst I've ever had. You have to reach into the side of the engine through a hole in the right wheel well. All the usual tricks didn't work (no room to rotate the filter). Finally wound up buying a filter socket (admitting defeat), then had to weld a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter on it so I could get an 18" long 1/2" breaker bar on it. Piece of cake now....

11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Have used both of these methods over the years, but doing a lot of hydraulic cylinder work , I used my “ spanner” wrenches in the holes of the filter after I tore the canister off!
    And air chisels can be your friend!

Bones

OLSKOOL57 and loudbang like this.
  12. error404

error404
    from CA

the worst oil filter I had to change was when I purchased my 2000 F250 7.3 (used), started out with wrenches, straps and every sort of "off the shelf" filter removal device I could borrow from friends. That wasn't working, then tried the "drill two holes through the filter and insert a screwdriver all the way through" method, which just started ripping the holes. After trying on a few drilled holes, the can of the filter finally ripped completely off of the base (yes, completely off).

So the final method (which worked), since the can of the filter was already off, was to use a brass punch and a 3 lb hammer pounding sideways on the circle of holes on the thick steel filter base counter clockwise until it finally threaded off. I was hammering on it for a good 10 minutes before it even started to move. Then once it started to move, I still had to pound on it for like 5 minutes, as it slowly unthreaded. Only until the last full turn of the filter base was I able to turn it by hand. It had to be pounded for the majority of the turns.

And it wasn't that I didn't have good access to the filter, I actually had pretty good access. it was just STUCK!

I was 100% expecting the threads to be shot, but some how they were perfect! And the new filter threaded right on. I have no idea why that filter was on there so tight, and I started to wonder if they sold the truck knowing the filter was stuck. It was EXTREMELY stuck, way worst than I could have imagined. And every filter I've ever put on it has never had this problem. Actually, I've never had problems taking filters off that I installed myself. Normally I don't even need a wrench or strap to remove them. Just but both hands on it, and twist.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    loudbang and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  13. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My biggest problem was access. This was in my roadster with 32 rails. Have a heavy duty steel band type wrench that ive had for probably 40 yrs that I had even reinforced the handle on by welding a steel rod inside the handle for strength. Bent it so bad it is probably unusable now. After pulling oil pan it allowed me to get about an 1/8th of a turn on the filter with a big assed pair of channel locks. Man what a nitemare.

osage orange, Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  14. Doesn't everyone use Locktite on their filters???:oops:

15. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lol.....so yer the guy!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Cosmo49, loudbang, Boneyard51 and 3 others like this.
  16. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Nothing brings old vinyl back to life like baby oil..

loudbang, Boneyard51 and 65pacecar like this.
  17. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Works great on old seats etc. but not on LP’s ;-).

18. David Coleman

David Coleman

Suggested the leaf blower to the tech servicing our home's propane heater/air conditioner. He did, and was thrilled how well it worked. Sometimes old guys are worth listening to,

19. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Get the new cordless leaf blower! Best thing since roll up windows! Really!

Bones

20. David Coleman

David Coleman

I did wash a filthy LP with soap, water and a sponge. I let it drip dry, then played it on a Chinese record player, and plugged the player's outlet into the mike port of my lap top. Using Audacity (free software) I was able to make MP3 files. Might technically have lost some sound but it sounds great to my old ear.

21. BJR

BJR

Use a 2" piece of vacuum hose over the end of a spark plug to start it in those hard to get at plug holes.

22. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got the 20v dewalt blower. I agree. Tons of power in a small package. Handiest damn tool goin

R A Wrench, loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I got the EZgo one 56 volts! I like it. Then I bought the EZGo cordless chain saw. Now I have two batteries and two chargers. The batteries interchange, so when blowing with one, the other can be charging......non stop leaf blowing! I need it, I have ninety trees on 7/8 acre!

Bones

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  24. On the subject of leaf blowers - great tool for drying off the car after washing. So much water gets trapped behind the stainless. No touch method.

25. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I bought a Kobalt. Works great, very light.......wife loves it. That and the 3year warranty on the battery . Most cordless tools don't have a 3 year battery. I write the purchase date on the tool and have a drawer to keep receipts. On sale at Lowes only paid about $100.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I have an assortment of useless cordless battery tools purchased over the years. The next shop cleanup will include ALL of them in the trash, tools batteries and chargers. When I start again it will be all one brand that use the same battery in a way that I can always have at least two fully charged batteries on hand.

27. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Six Ball, any of the old 9.6 volt Makita cordless drills in that pile?

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  28. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

Rather than throwing them away, list what you have. They may make good additions to the stuff other HAMBers have

knucklenutz and Boneyard51 like this.
  29. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did that exact thing about two years ago. All these take same batteries. 6 batteries and 9 tools 2 chargers. Dont pull an air wrench out but once twice year. By the way, the cordless vacuum is really nice for cars and boats [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Six Ball and Boneyard51 like this.
  30. phat rat

phat rat

Were you aware of there now being a supposed 9 hr battery for the 20 volt Dewalt

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.