Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2020 AMBR Contenders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I think you should submit it Billy. It really is a beautiful car, so well done.

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm thinking no one car stands out over the rest other than the T from the Wacky Racers cartoon.

3. The 15 T . All the rest kinda look like the front row of a new car dealers lot. Nice and new, but 'belly buttoned'. Sure, Martha, they all look the same, that's why we let you choose the color, so you can find yours in Walmarts parking lot.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Dusty's blue T was HAMBER @oldebob 's car. Dusty bought it from bob and gave it an AMBR makeover with lots of chrome, some re-engineering and a lot of body work. Dusty has 5 kids and built the car himself with help from his/our club. I helped put the engine back together a little bit.

0152E615-1B39-4E15-B9C2-7E2C544463FD.jpeg 38CFC599-71A9-4249-8EF9-661A600A926E.jpeg

5. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Here on the traditionalist hotrod forum, I should hope so.

That T rules hard, love the flat six and the chrome underpinnings.

6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

SELF BUILT!! my 2 favorite words.. Though the bucket doesn't really do it for me. I'd be thrilled for the owner/builder of either of the self made cars to take the title.

That 32 rpu, maybe with different colors, but it just doesn't speak to me at all

7. jim snow

jim snow

Good stuff. Thanks for the photos. Snowman

loudbang likes this.
  8. Is there a picture around that would tell me what that aluminum lump is on the cowl of the Deuce RPU?

loudbang likes this.
  9. Yeah, I've gotta go with the 34 as well. It's subtle with great stance and details.

10. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

It is most likely running Schroeder steering. It's wider than the cowl, so the bubble is there to clear the other end.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

I was told by a fellow that is at the show the car can be converted to right hand steering !?

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I’m all for the T Bucket.

GuyW and loudbang like this.
  13. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I did, He just spotted the T-Bucket

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  14. HotRodDrummer

HotRodDrummer

Cowl vent.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

That blue T is the only thing I remotely dig...

loudbang, Lil'Alb, Old-Soul and 3 others like this.
  16. Ranchero59

Ranchero59

All the contenders are worthy this year. It's going to be tuff one. Finally some good old Hot Rods. Liken Dusty's T.

17. Kind of a boring group of cars IMO. The trend of using colours that look like they came from Grampa's Camry are not helping. Nice to see a couple of entries at least try and be a little different.

GuyW, gbrown, HunterYJ and 2 others like this.
  18. contspanko

contspanko

sprint car steering

19. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Here's another Ford 6. I believe this was at a previous show . . .

6-Cyl. w:Babes copy.jpg

20. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

So that is a Ford straight six in the T?

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought Dusty's T looked real familiar. I've taken a lot of photos of that car over the years at the East-West Flathead runs and it has gone from rough and tough real deal hot rod to AMBR contender but hasn't lost any of it's attitude.
    My photobucket album with the photos of it crashed so I'll have to dig out the old laptop to show any before photos.

22. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I also noticed that this was a car that was not described as "So-And-So's" car built by XYZ's shop. A unique home built does it for me too.

23. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

I,m not a fan of T Buckets but the 15 T screams SHOW CAR to me
    more so than the other entrants

24. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

1 vote for Dusty's T! ++for being a NW car, a flathead 6, and HAMB friendly!

Dig the deep metallic blue, not cliche and looks real nice and sporty

Stogy likes this.
  25. I like the "Toyota Olive Drab-ish" track roadster but am very pleased to see The Denny Lesky RPU finished for the new owner by Dave Shuten. A lot of worthy competitors from home brew to pro-shop builds. It will be interesting to see who takes the trophy.

I'm looking forward to more detail pictures of any and all.

26. ken bogren

ken bogren

Thanks for posting the photos.

27. More pics of the Firth "Brownstone Roadster":

Tom Firth Brownstone Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (1).jpg
    Tom Firth Brownstone Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (2).jpg
    Tom Firth Brownstone Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (3).jpg
    Tom Firth Brownstone Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (4).jpg
    Tom Firth Brownstone Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (5).jpg
    Tom Firth Brownstone Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (6).jpg
    Tom Firth Brownstone Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (7).jpg
    Tom Firth Brownstone Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (8).jpg
    Tom Firth Brownstone Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (9).jpg
    all images by @Brian Brennan

A very pleasing 1932 Ford roadster owned by Tom Firth and built at Stokers Hot Rod Factory in Upland, California. The first thing you notice about this Deuce is the use of a 1934 windshield where the 1932 cowl was modified by Stokers to accommodate the later windshield. Firth machined the stanchions incorporating a 3-inch chop. The headlights are even later 1936 Ford with a custom headlight bar. The motor is a 1952 Ford Flathead V-8 with a pair of 97 Stromberg carbs. The polished magnesium wheels are from Real Rodders Wheels, 16s in front and 18s in back; one set of 10 that were made. Excelsior rubber comes in 700x18 and 5.60x16. The color is a GM Brownstone metallic; which also serves as the name of the roadster: Brownstone roadster. The original 1940 Ford column was modified to function with an automatic transmission while the steering wheel is a very rare "Oldsmobile Car-Watch Automatic" from a 1950 Olds that was cut down to a 16-inch-diameter and recast in a translucent brown color. Resting behind the unique steering wheel is a dash insert that features custom gauges from the workbench of Classic Instruments.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  28. More pics of the "IVY~REED 1927 Ford Roadster":

Ivy~Reed '27 Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (1).JPG
    Ivy~Reed '27 Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (2).JPG
    Ivy~Reed '27 Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (3).JPG
    Ivy~Reed '27 Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (4).JPG
    Ivy~Reed '27 Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (5).JPG
    Ivy~Reed '27 Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (6).JPG
    Ivy~Reed '27 Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (7).JPG
    Ivy~Reed '27 Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (8).JPG
    Ivy~Reed '27 Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (9).JPG
    Ivy~Reed '27 Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (10).JPG
    Ivy~Reed '27 Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (11).JPG
    Ivy~Reed '27 Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (12).JPG
    Ivy~Reed '27 Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (13).JPG
    Ivy~Reed '27 Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (14).JPG
    Ivy~Reed '27 Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (15).JPG

The 1927 Ford roadster with track nose belonging to John Ivy and built at Schrader's Speed and Style in Azusa, California, under the watchful eye of Mike Abssy. (The car began life while owned by Brett Reed of the punk rock band Rancid.) The color is from the 1957 Porsche catalog and is called Stone Gray, while the steel wheels are Ivory in color, also 1957 Porsche. More '57 influence is the interior hue. The dash was fabricated at Schrader's while the unique gauges (speedo, tach, fuel, temp, oil, and amps) where handbuilt by Bruce Abbott at Abbott Instrument Restoration. The speedo reads 150 while originally it was 90 mph, but Abbott performed the custom screening to give the custom one-off face. Another interior/exterior appointment are the Brooklands windscreens (named after the famous Brooklands motor racing circuit and aerodrome near Weybridge in Surrey, England). Powering the roadster is a Ford 8BA (1948 to 1953) Flathead V-8 with reproduction heads made by Tony Baron resembling the heads his father produced back in the day to resemble Thickstun-Baron racing heads. The intake manifold is an Edmunds topped with a pair of short body Strombergs. Back to the Porsche influence are the early 356 model taillights (prior to 1955-1956), while the headlights are BLC's with marker lights.

29. More pics of the "Dusty Smith 1926 Ford Roadster":

Dustin 'Dusty' Smith's 1926 Ford Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (1).jpg
    Dustin 'Dusty' Smith's 1926 Ford Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (2).jpg
    Dustin 'Dusty' Smith's 1926 Ford Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (3).jpg
    Dustin 'Dusty' Smith's 1926 Ford Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (4).jpg
    Dustin 'Dusty' Smith's 1926 Ford Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (5).jpg
    Dustin 'Dusty' Smith's 1926 Ford Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (6).jpg
    Dustin 'Dusty' Smith's 1926 Ford Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (7).jpg
    Dustin 'Dusty' Smith's 1926 Ford Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (8).jpg
    Dustin 'Dusty' Smith's 1926 Ford Roadster (by Brian Brennan) (9).jpg

The 1926 Ford highboy roadster owned by Dustin Smith of Spokane, Washington. This is an old-time roadster that has been to the east coast and back during its life. The attention grabber on this roadster is the Ford 6-cylinder engine that is an M-series (Rouge) 254ci that was used from 1948 through 1953 and typically found in the F6-series of trucks. In its stock form, it produced 115 hp. That number is beefed up today through the use of an Edmonds head and intake manifold topped with a pair of Stromberg carburetors. Because of the length of the engine, the firewall features a deep recess that actually "hides" the rear two cylinders. Because of that the rear carb actually sticks up through the cowl and sports its own custom sheetmetal "roof" that the hood fits around. Front suspension is based on a V8/60 tube axle held in place by a pair of 1946 Ford wishbones with 1946 Ford "juice" brakes. In back is a Halibrand quick-change rear. The color is a modern-day Chevy Avalanche truck metallic blue. The interior is black Naugahyde with Stewart Warner gauges, 4-spoke sprint carstyle wheel, and a Ford 1939 transmission. Holding up this old-timey hot rod are wide, wide whites; Firestone/Cokers measuring 7.50-15 in back and Firestone/Cokers measuring 6.00-16 in front wrapped around steelies in back and an artillery-style wheel in front.

30. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I'm in agreement regarding the colours. This started about ten years ago and it was kind of cool as it was different then. But monkey see monkey do mentality has is so overdone. I guess pastels are up next. And there seems to be a "basic" theme connecting these cars without any real standout vehichles, just nice work well painted cars. Where is the innovation but still traditional rides? And yes, it can be done...

HunterYJ and chryslerfan55 like this.