Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 55 Chevrolet Hub Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rex_A_Lott, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I'm pretty sure I've got a bad wheel bearing on the RF of the car, but I havent pulled it apart yet. My plan was to order the bearings and seals and have them sitting here and just replace them all 4 at one whack.
    So far I havent been able to find anybody with the outers in stock, and if I do they are $90 a pop, and the inners arent much cheaper. All for original drum brake type parts.
    Danchuk shows a kit available to convert them to tapered roller bearings, hubs, bearings and seals for
    $ 259. On the surface it seems a no-brainer to go this route.
    My question is, has anybody had experience with this kit? Any reason I havent thought of why I shouldnt go this route? This is not a restored car, not a hot rod by far, just an old car I drive.
    I had given some thought to going with the 2" dropped spindles and disc brakes, but right now it doesnt make a lot of sense to me, I just want to get it back on the road.

2. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

I see your reasoning for wanting to have everything on hand and ready to rock when the time comes. But it also sounds like you might put dropped spindles on it someday and don't wanna spend a lot of coin on these old hubs. You just want her back on the road for now. If it were me. I would maybe get the seals and then take it apart and see what's goin on and then replace what is needed. Might just need one bearing and the rest need a good cleaning and packing. Lot cheaper than all new bearings. Who knows, maybe it's a brake issue, not bearings at all.

low budget, squirrel and egads like this.
  3. egads

egads

4. vinfab

vinfab

Instead of spending your money for Speedy Bills Chinese crap, go find a set of 61 to 64 full size Chevrolet front hubs. A roller bearing direct replacement after you grind off the rivets holding the drums on 55-57s. Bonus, inner and outer bearings are much cheaper.

5. 55Belairman

55Belairman

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is worth investigating and I wonder why it hasn't ever come up before years ago.
    On the 61/64 hubs The set 6 inner bearing has a bore of 1.250 on the 61/64 hub and the Timken set 2 outer bearing is .750 bore.
    On the 55
    The front inner B40 set has a bore of 1.250
    the front outer B01 set has a bore of .750

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  7. vinfab

vinfab

I heard of this conversion in 1971 when I bought my first 57. I guess it was tribal knowledge, and the tribe is dying off.

Moriarity likes this.
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yup I thought it was common knowledge. it is 1961-1968 front hubs that are a direct replacement for the ball bearing 55-59 chevs. I seem to remember that 65-69 corvair is the same too..... I would bet you could go to the junkyard and get newer hubs and clean, inspect and repack the bearings that come with it. I don't trust the modern china made bearings they sell today.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never owned a tri 5 that ran and drove so I never needed the knowledge.

10. 1934coupe

1934coupe

What Vinfab says, when I was in business I scoured junk yards and shops for these hubs and sold plenty. I had them on my own car. They work great.

Pat

11. primed34

primed34

I've had the later hubs on my '55 for at least 40 years. Just thought every body knew about the swap. The question now is how hard would it be to find a '61 to '68 full size Chevy in a wrecking yard.

12. egads

egads

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Very true:)

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

14. I have the 61 and later hubs on my 55 wagon. I also have some stashed away in my hoard. I see them for sale on Ebay priced around a $100 for a set. Years ago a guy named Ralph converted his 55 to roller bearings using the stock 55 hubs. He bought some bearings that fit over the counter at NAPA. Of course back then we had a parts guy that was a Real Parts Man and knew his shit. The bearings & disk brake rotors from a S10 will fit a tri five spindle also.

15. squirrel

squirrel

There are still a few drum brake full size Chevys around, that guys are converting to disc brakes...so you should be able to find some hubs, somewhere.

I've worked on enough stuff that I always take things apart, before getting new parts. There are way too many surprises (both good and bad).

16. Did the 61-68 hub exchange on 2 different tri-5's. Good upgrade.

Old wolf likes this.
  17. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

I put disk brake rotors for a 68 to 72 chevelle on my 62 bel air. Same bearings and all. So I would think 61 to 72?

18. squirrel

squirrel

Full size car hubs changed after 68, I think.... and the full size hubs are the ones that work on the 55-57 without any tricks needed.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  19. That's my problem, none of my buddies have anything sitting around that fits the bill. So I've been keeping my eyes peeled for something to come available as i do other work to my car. I almost ordered the kit from speedway, but a couple of you guys made me nervous about the aluminum hubs lol

20. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

They are making those alum hubs for everything and some of them things are close to 4000lbs and maybe beyond..Don't think there is a worry..

21. If it comes down to it, i guess that'll be the route i go. Cheaper than buying new ball bearings. But like was already said, the 57 ball bearings are much better than today's imported taper bearings

22. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I switch my 37 Chebbie to 49-51 front brakes it was an easy bolt up swap nothing special needed . The guy I got the stuff from said “ these are later hubs , with roller bearings “ . So I suspect the hub swap goes farther back than 55 . I sold that stuff for enough to buy a disc conversion years ago .

23. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Quite easy actually. Looked through a junkyard in Blaine,TN and saw several of the aforementioned Chevrolets. The person whom I went with was looking for '61 parts, While another friend looked for '64 parts. I on the other hand went in search for older parts. I may have to go back for the hubs off one of the '61s I saw, and the dealer option seat belts in a '50s era Buick.

egads likes this.
  24. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The aluminum, aftermarket hubs are FINE. I have't heard anything bad about them. And, virtually ALL the Tri-Five vendors sell them, as well as Speedway, and other rod shops. I have 2 sets myself; one set is just the hub changeover kit, the other is with the disc brake changeover setup I have, along with the power brake assist kit. It's all CPP, but I'm not sure I'm even going to use the stuff; I like "stockish" in my old Chevrolets's. I also have a CPP disc brake changeover for an OT car, and the hubs from that car I "believe" (68 Biscayne) will swap over to a Tri-Five. Too much stuff, not enough time, not enough room, and then the weather won't cooperate! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

I also see on squirrel's Barracuda "almost funny", that his front hubs are aluminum m also.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  25. Drum brakes are faster on a drag car. you can adjust them so you have Zero drag. disk brakes always have a bit of drag. If I was gonna spend a pile of money on the conversion to roller bearings if its a street car I would just go ahead and convert to disk brakes and be done with it.