Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '49 Chevy period correct automatic steering column and turn signal shifter

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Madmath, Jan 24, 2020.

1. I seek a good looking solution for my steering colum in my '49 chevy.

I have a Mustang 2 front-end and a th700 transmission and I would like to have the shifter on the column, and a turn signal shifter on the column too.
    I really don't want a tilt column or a "modern" column, I would like to look the most orignial or "fifties" as possible.
    I also would like to keep my originnal steering wheel.

At this time I have the original column that I can modify for the Mustang 2, no problem... but I can't find anymore my original linkage and shifter from my manual transmission.

I found 55 steering column with the 2 shifters but without the box and his shaft.
    Do you think it will be possible to use the 55 column with my 49 shaft and my steering wheel ?
    The shafts have the same diameter ?
    And for the steering wheel, I guess that the diameter of the end of the 55 tube is larger than on a 49, so too large to fit my steering wheel too ?

If you have another idea, let me know.

Thanks a lot guys.

My project :

82775834_853557525068717_6020103217528963072_n.jpg

mini-149.jpg

2. squirrel

squirrel

53-54 Chevy cars used a decent turn signal switch, and had Powerglide available. You can make this stuff work, with some patience. I did a similar thing to my 57 Suburban. The 54-59 Chevy trucks used the same turn switch as the 53-54 cars, although the angle of the lever changed in 57, when they went to this deep dish steering wheel (before that the wheel was flat).

ac01.jpg dash.jpg

Chavezk21 likes this.
  3. belair

belair

Neat looking A/C.

4. Squablow

Squablow

Personally, I would get a '52 Powerglide column since it'll fit right into the original dash and mate up to the steering wheel, and I'd add a clamp-on turn signal switch. Granted, the clamp-on switches aren't as clean as an integrated switch but they are period correct and some of the old ones are really cool looking. I think if you ordered turn signals on a '52 car you got a clamp on switch with a rubber contact wheel that would cancel the signal when you turned the wheel.

The other issue is that the plastic shift indicator won't line up with your 700r trans pattern, so you might have to make something for that.

Nailhead Jason likes this.

5. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Like Squirrel I am using a 53 column on my 48. Bolted in with little fuss. I went with a 53, 54 deluxe wheel, which would cover hub on your 55 column.

6. Ok, many thanks for your answers.
    I think I will search for a 53 column and if my steering wheel dont' fit, I will try to find another one.

Squablow, I really don't want a clamp-on turn signal switch ;)

7. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

My Pontiac is like that but the execution is fairly neat- the gearshift on my column is a lot "heavier" on the eye than Chevrolet's, being a moderately large cast metal piece for the lever arm to terminate at and the indicator mechanism to sit up top, so it gave Guide space to set the switch box up against and not look too far out of place. There's an external channel that then runs down the side of the column for the wiring.

Overall clean lines? No. Factory? Yes. Unless you have a column with a larger shroud hiding a switch with a lever arm that doesn't look completely out of place may be a challenge, but if you're up for that Morris had some nice turn signal arms appearing on their vehicles back in the late fifties, they were selling cars here at that time and their dash boards were yet unprepared for turn signals so the end of the stalk has an integral light too but being late 50's UK the design was a decade behind the USA so the style isn't far off still...

https://www.morrisminor.org.uk/part...her-unit/3459-indicator-stalk-switch-assembly
    That fits under a fairly shallow cowl. Also adds flash-to-pass, though I'm not sure if that model is seperate rear turn signal bulbs.

Food for thought though

Phil

8. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Running a 54 Chevy truck column in my 51 with the factory turn signals. They are the same tube and shaft diameter as the cars. Column saver for the conversion at the firewall.

Finding PG truck columns is harder, but they are out there too... especially GMC. Don't discount the trucks in your salvage yard crawl.

9. squirrel

squirrel

I don't think that a 49 steering wheel would totally work with the 53-up turn signal switch. If you want the turn signals integrated to the column, then you need a steering wheel that has a wide base. The early wheels are not like that.

So...my guess is you will either need a clamp on switch, if you choose to use the 49 wheel, or you'll need to use a later wheel, if you want a good looking turn signal switch.

Life is full of trade offs.

10. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Good point, and I confirm. I'm running the truck wheel as well. It came from my first car (truck).

The bell is smaller on my 51 wheel. Not enough room for turn signal guts, and too small of an interface diameter on the wheel for the later bell.

11. Many thanks for your precious answers and the link.
    I found a complete steering column on Ebay and I bought it, too expensive but I wanted it.
    As I live in Europe, I will need to wait about 2 months before receive it.
    I just hope that the turn signal and horn mechanisms will be functional or easily restorable.

For the steering wheel, I will see when the column will arrive but you confirmed my worry about the diameter :(
    I will check if I can modify the steering wheel because I really like the original model but if not, I will see for another model.

colonne.jpg

12. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

There's a piece screwed on the back of the steering wheel itself that makes the switch cancel. You'll need one of those as well. I haven't looked at mine in a while, but you could probably fabricate one. It's just an "L" shaped piece that sticks out to actuate the cam on the switch.

13. squirrel

squirrel

this. You only need one.
    cam.jpg

olscrounger likes this.
  14. Thanks, I will try to fabricate one when I will have the steering arrived :)

15. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Jim's search-fu is better than mine. #rockstar