Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Good carb intake combo for banger motor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mdimages, Jan 8, 2020.

1. mdimages

mdimages

Have a stock model a that will soon be getting a downdraft intake / carb / header/exhaust.

so far I am leaning towards a 81 stromberg with an ansen single downdraft intake. Reds headers with some sort of exhaust off that.

anyone out there run this combo or have one that they can suggest?

Thanks in advance!

matt

2. mdimages

mdimages

Bump

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I ran an Ansen intake with a 94, Mallory distributor, Reds header and Winfield head on an A motor and the B motor I upgraded to with good results. It ran a little rich and the 81 is probably a good choice since it is a smaller carb. Snyder's has two downdraft intakes for less than $300, cheaper than the Ansen.

Attached Files:

mdimages likes this.
  4. 51 mercules

51 mercules

My 29 has a Stromberg 81 and Tattersfield downdraft, no header yet. It runs good.[​IMG]

BlacktopScraper and mdimages like this.

5. mdimages

mdimages

Nice I’ll have to check it out. I do like the burns intake and the price is better as well!

6. mdimages

mdimages

this is the setup I’m looking for. Nice!! Any mother mods to the engine? Also where did you notice the “gains?”
    Thanks
    Matt

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I think BCCHOPIT on the HAMB was making intakes and maybe header too..

8. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

EBA07C51-1D2D-47F0-A9E8-5763E64C4CEF.jpeg

I’ve run half a dozen intake combos including Mooneyes EFI. So far, the best set up I’ve found is the Weber 32/36. In fact, I also have in on my B motor with an original CRAGAR head. Both engines have headers and electronic ignition systems. The one in the photo has a BF super head at 7.5: 1 compression.

barrnone50 and 51 mercules like this.
  9. 51 mercules

51 mercules

It also has model a a police head on it . I didn't built the car, but it runs better than my old stock roadster I had. I bought a Clings adapter to put a 39 trans behind in the future.

10. I ran a 97 on a Tattersfield intake on my '29. F.S.I. electronic ignition, Police head and stock exhaust. Also lightened the flywheel, ran a V8 clutch and a '38 trans with late '39 gears. Stock rear end. It ran great, could easily cruise at 60 mph... 98.JPG
    113.JPG

loner2 and 51 mercules like this.
  11. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

single stromberg 97 on a repo winfield manifold.Weiand head,reds header,modified mallory single point distributor.Modified volvo 4 speed with ford nine inch rear
    motors pretty worn out but had it up to 65 on the freeway at the hot rod hill climb IMG_2587.jpg

loner2 likes this.
  12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

13. rudestude

rudestude

A few months ago a guy stopped by my place and asked about some stuff in my yard...and while looking around he noticed some old aluminum intake manifolds and ask what they were..I explained to him what they were and he said he had something like them a d ask if I would be interested.
    I told him that I would like to see it .
    Later that day he came back with this set up and left it with me and has not ever come back.
    I found out it is for a model A....the intake has no markings on it , it has the levers, cables , carb...I don't own a model A engine.
    It's a wall hanger now. 2026041798.jpeg 63648726.jpeg 996673196.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J737V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loner2 likes this.
  14. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Hey rudestude I'd be interested in that for sure if you want to sell pm me

rudestude likes this.
  15. brjnelson

brjnelson

I have used this carb on a A and a Metropolitan, it truly is a set and forget carb.
    but it does not look traditional, if you are going to box yourself in with tradition.
    I also have the Flathead V8 trans and it is a improvement, if you use the late helical gears out of any sideshifter box and a 3 inch fork,
    Better yet is a S10 trans, again non-trad but the Overdrive, syncros and 5 gears are worth it.