Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wayne Carini's 1930 Model A Hot Rod Sold at Barrett Jackson

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Day2Muscle, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

CORRECT

GZ likes this.
  2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Interesting but very true what you said. How did Carini name get associated with this car?

3. Some of the most generous people I know are the wealthiest ones.
    Hmmmmm

Hombre, Tman, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  4. wicarnut

wicarnut

Welcome to the HAMB. I ass-u-me you are in the car hobby, if so IMO you should understand it's about the passion,(not the money) for some like the original "builder" of this beautiful piece of artwork, he's a man that is very successful and wants to compete at the top level = big buck cars, has cars built, he writes the checks, more power to him. I believe many/most here are DIY type guys who enjoy the garage time and receive the self satisfaction of the build, hands on. The million dollar figure can be true as I know a man that spent 1/2 a million+ on finishing his brothers dream build, finishing the dream was started 2008, his brother's dream was interrupted by Cancer/death, by finishing, I mean he took car to a reputable/great shop and wrote checks for 4+ years. It's only been shown a few times, well received, but owner has neither the interest or time to show/drive as their/his business uses all of his time up. The car has been sitting in a climate controlled garage for several years now with other cool cars, boat, cycles, etc. (one Hell of a Toy Barn) all gathering dust and when the widow has her auction, deals will be had as the reality of high dollar Hot Rods/Toys are rarely an investment IMO. This site is a traditional site, historical Old School, many of us were there in the 60's, Enjoy the various picture threads, the best on the internet. Another short story, my best friend for years now is finishing up a Street Rod, not a HAMB style car, his swan song, bought body/frame/parts, crate engine/etc, spent hundreds of hours, 5 years off/on, sent to paint shop, at upholstery shop now and will have around 80/85K invested and he did build it. If/when his widow sells, this type car typically brings around 40/50K so IMO, many better ways invest your money. Many men here like I (pics of my junk in my albums) have enjoyed the Hobby without spending the farm, (exception, my years racing, No $$$ sense on this subject, memories priceless) I have enjoyed the people/shows/cruises/etc. No Regrets, the passion is the equalizer, same fun with a 5K/10K car as a 50K/100K car.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Chief 64 and Hombre like this.
  5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Have you ever considered your net worth in relation to how much you spend on your car hobby. People who spend big big bucks on hot rods can afford it. Their budget is a fraction of what their net worth is. Have you ever considered this. They aren`t working extra jobs or selling parts at a swapmeets to fund their projects.

Hombre, DesmoDog, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  6. the-rodster

the-rodster

4dsrus and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. 34Larry

34Larry

Being from Nebraska, are they farmers ?
    Is it public info, how long was the build ?

tractorguy likes this.
  8. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Shit , no money comment from me ,but I would thrash the piss outa that car . worn out would fit my taste.

nochop and Hombre like this.
  9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that you mention it and I have finally seen the vehicle in question, you're right! It kind of reminds me of the old "east coast" style hot rods (the early coupes and roadsters using a later "spring ahead" front suspension). I never did like that look; still don't no matter how much money you throw at it.

10. redo32

redo32

Are there any construction photos of this build? I'm in awe of the detail and finishing. How did they do the fined rear end? The headers look simple enough, but I bet there was a lot of work in the polished top fins. There are so many machined detail elements to this car and yet they lend a mechanical value to the car rather than just garish addons. I love the satin metallic finish, some articles said it is powdercoat. How did they get such a smooth transition line to the polished accents?

Hombre likes this.
  11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I can`t say for sure, but no to farmer`s. The car had been started, but the article says 6 months. Cal Auto Ceations built the Fast Forward 40 that won the Riddler. Also from Nebraska. Andy`s first full major big time build. That owner started Cal Auto Ceations to build that particular car. You find a talented person(Andy), buy some tools and start a shop. Then find more talented people in the field they are good at. Really good at.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

If I`m wrong, Maybe some one with more knowledge can fill in the blanks.

13. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Go back to post #9 in this thread and follow the link. Then watch the video there. Gives a few details.

14. redo32

redo32

Thanks for the link, I missed it. I'm flabbergasted! It shows the rearend fins being welded on individually. Lots of precision welding and patients, presume they were chrome plated then masked and painted. Same with the headers. Wow!

15. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Wait til this guy sells it and it only brings half what he paid for it.

16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

From the page;

"Roger was injured while working at F40 Motorsports and was subsequently hospitalized with an infection. Later that year he was once again hospitalized due to the continuing infection. He missed a month of work and again later that year but he finally was able to return to part time work.For whatever reason he was not reimbursed through Workers’ Compensation. Without going into personal details about the health of his wife Sally or his and their financial status let’s just say that weeks without income and their mounting medical bills had taken their toll."

Who knows why work comp didn't cover. He's 83 so I doubt he's full time. He may have an arrangement where he's not an F 40 EE and works per diem or on call (for classic car engine work and select TV show episodes) for Wayne at an hourly/billed rate to E 40 as well as an appearance payment for Chasing show tapings.

His personal health insurance may have high deductibles and may be 80/20 coverage with a steep "annual max out of pocket thereshold" in the many thousands of dollars that is tough to cough up. Not every retiree has a huge nest egg for major catastrophes.

I really like the show and Wayne. Love Roger and his dry wit.

As for spending a Million on a build? Hey if you have the glut of disposable income and are a car guy, God bless you.

If the free Million were mine, I'd buy the Rogerrio Merc, have Brian Bass build me a bad ass coupe and still have enough left over to build a huge shop and build a couple more cars myself.

LSJUNIPER and Hombre like this.
  17. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I was wondering that as well......

kidcampbell71 and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  18. lostmind

lostmind

This is getting a lot like the AACA forum , The number one discussion in the for sale
    section is " investment " in a vehicle.

19. Saw the coupe last summer at Andy's open house. I drooled over it for more than a few minutes. But I have to agree....front axle needs to be forward about 3 inches to bring the proportions in. Just my opinion.
    AndyLeach30ford.jpg

20. Here's my opinion... To me when it costs that much to build a vehicle, there is never a hope that it would be 'worth' that much. At that level of car building, it's more about advertising dollars to show the world that your shop can build with that extreme level of attention to detail and quality. The vehicle will be inherently valuable because of the work to create it, just not that valuable.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome to the HAMB, and yes I wondered about that Million Dollar Build line, Wayne may have been playing used car dealer, or someone got WAY over billed on that one. Bob

22. @tubman @nochop

Wish I could post a link here. I don't want to get in trouble, or deflect the thread.

You definitely ask good questions, figured that show would do well enough to cash him up. I dunno'.

If you want to look up his page to help his medical ...

Type in "FRIENDS OF ROGER BARR GOFUNDME"

His wife is Sally Barr, & Steve Cripps put the page up for both of them.

When you see all of the above .. click it. You can donate WITHOUT FEES ... you just have to change it to note no fees. Its pretty easy.

Think it's at 26k with a goal of 30k. It's been up a year & a half. Both knees are now done. But whatever ... baloney sandwiches for old men still cost some bucks.

Whatever you choose. God bless.

nochop likes this.
  23. it's still a 30 Ford hot rod, it might win more trophies than most hot rods, but do you think it is more fun to drive? Does it rattle and have wind noise? I bet the glove box door doesn't drop open when you hit a bump:)

or is it really a hot rod? I guess its not a street rod, so maybe it's a show rod?
    Weren't the first Merc full kustoms commissioned by wealthy gents from almost brand new cars?
    Which then launched the careers of a few panel guys and painters....
    I know there will be other famous, earlier cars that fit this mold too, big money for the time and talented workers going from just having a job to big time painters/ builders/ business owners. You could apply this to drag and salt racers also.
    Having zero budget can push creativity by necessity, but adding cubic money to a creative flow can accelerate progress astonishingly.

Don't see anyone questioning the cost to build legendary top level customs and rods from the 50's and 60's or motivation of the owners.

ronzmtrwrx and Hombre like this.
  24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It seems like, a build price was included in the articles when cars were featured back then.

25. For fifty cents more the axle wouldn’t hit the frame.
    44CBEA32-D2BB-48AC-BDBE-AC584A1F3A32.jpeg

Fern 54, tubman, teach'm and 2 others like this.
  26. The37Kid

The37Kid

I just don't understand the mixing of different era pieces. I think the ARDEN was outdated by 1958, the Star Wars wheels are too far into the future it look good. I haven't seen a good photo of the front axle, maybe I don't need to. Guess the buyer is happy and that is all that matters. Bob

27. zz29

zz29

The video says they built it for some guy named Ted. Maybe Wayne bought it afterwards? Super cool.

28. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Not a cool car. The wheels suck the front tires are too tall, the front suspension is basically nonfunctional, the wheelbase is too short....

29. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Blasphemy or not, I do not like this car. No quarrel that it has outstanding workmanship. But so what? It’s too far over the top, more like a cartoon car than a hot rod. Actually using it would be like wearing a Liberace’ tuxedo to a Pizza Hut.

Ray