Register now to get rid of these ads!

MERC / DEUCE Reunion 1979......? First annual T-shirt?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sodbuster, Sep 9, 2003.

1. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Does anyone know if this is from the First annual Merc/Deuce Reunion? My dad found and give me this shirt that he found in his closet. I am just trying to date it. I have some dash plaques from Merc/Deuce in the early 80's. The back of the shirt is the Car Club in Baldwin that has been around since the 50's. They ironed on print on the backs of car show shirts when they used to get them.

Thanks,
    Chris Nelson
    Kansas

Here is the Front:
    [​IMG]

and the back:
    [​IMG]

2. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Chris, The date is right for the first Merc Deuce Reunion. They had the Reunion before the first Spectacular in Wichita in 1981. I'll make a call and get an answer for ya.

Happy Trails,

Mick

3. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You lucky Dog that is the first one!! I was at the second Merc Deuce Reunion in wichita (1984) That was the year I feel in Love with Hub Harness's El Kamino.

Happy Trails,

Mick

4. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Thanks for the info Mick.

Chris

5. ebfabman

ebfabman

Yes, the first annual Merc Deuce Reunion was at Kansas Mo, in 1979. I drove my 50 Merc there from OKC.

6. gtokid70

gtokid70

7. gtokid70

gtokid70

The Merc Deuce Reunion Ohio 198?
    Trying to work a timeline with my car. I was told the interior pinstriping was done at the merc deuce reunion in Ohio by MK John. I can't seem to find any information what year that was was, I just know it had to be later 80s. I was hoping that somebody here would know the year.
    Thankyou

Sent from my SM-T510 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like the year was 1989

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Sancho and 550Coupe like this.
  9. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Beach towel from the last one

FA39402F-50B0-4023-A8ED-213D3AB3BADD.jpeg

Sancho, straykatkustoms and stanlow69 like this.
  11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Bumper plaque from the first one

74BCBB01-1B16-4FD0-82CA-DB963F2C2B45.jpeg

12. gtokid70

gtokid70

Well that solves that Question. 89 it is I knew I came to the right place for the answer, lots and lots of super knowledge people here. Many thanks

Sent from my SM-T510 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

straykatkustoms and stanlow69 like this.
  13. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Did @sideswipe dad make those plaques with out permission.
    A vendor from the Kansas City area still sells them like the one Mark posted. Bought mine 3 years ago.

14. What year was in Wichita? Sometime in the 80's as I remember. My pics don't have dates on them.

straykatkustoms likes this.
  15. Slopok

Slopok

August 1st-5th '84

straykatkustoms and Moriarity like this.
  16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

^^ yup, that was the year that Dave Stuckey won king of the mercs with that bitchin sectioned merc... It is a shame the way Carson ruined it.... stuckey.jpg

17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Kelly Pucket won with the sectioned Ford. In the friends part. Merc/Duce Reunion and Friends

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  18. Thank you.

19. Made the 89' Merc Deuce Reunion and made I guess a Lead Sled Spectacular. Both events in Ohio. One was in Springfield. Can someone fill the blanks for me?

20. I went to # IV in Holland, Michigan pretty good show, it started as a great adventure of 4 big guys in a chopped merc with a trunk full of luggage.
    We couldn't even get out of the driveway because the car was so low, everyone out, got it in the street, then everyone back in to the gas station to fill it up. Before we even hit the Canadian border it started raining hard and an air shock blew causing the ol merc to bottom out, the exhaust was run under the axle because the car was so low. Now it's dragging the exhaust, 3 guys in front trying to get weight off the rear, no door seals so the water is coming in and the car behind us is riding our ass.
    We decide to head to the merc owner's business since it was closest, car is still riding our ass in the pouring rain, until a section of tail pipe shoots out. All you see is the car's headlights nosedive and he backs way off, we get to the shop, owner wants to leave the merc there and take the company car home to get his everyday full size car that's about 40 minutes away. We are waiting at the shop, I go under the merc to discover all that had happened was the air line came out of the shock, I put everything back together and air it up and we are off the ground. Don comes back fuming mad an hour and half later in the same Chrysler K-car wagon he left in, he left his house keys in the merc, couldn't get in to get the big 4 door cruiser.
    To save time we just cram the 4 big guys and all the luggage into the light blue, woodgrain sided K-car wagon, far cry from that cool chopped 50 merc. About halfway across Canada one of the guys sittjng there with his knees up in his teeth blurts out, you know I got that damn conversion van just sitting in the driveway, everyone gives him the look.
    The professor that knows the way is getting tired so Mr. Conversion van takes over driving, a few hrs later professor wakes me up yelling, conversion van took the wrong road and we are 2 hrs south of where we need to be, what an epic adventure...ha ha ha

21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

550Coupe likes this.
  22. Moriarity likes this.
  23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Holland, across from the airport. A plane crashed that weekend during the show. Remember that.

24. sideswipe

sideswipe

My dad made the car club plaques and dash plaques for the first reunion. He also made the 9 foot trophies for best Merc and best deuce. Jerry Titus paid for the trophies and granted him permission for the plaques. I think I still have some dash plaques put up.

25. sideswipe

sideswipe

dash plaque.jpg I'll give you one. I'll try to get it out this week. Just pay me back for the postage.

26. sideswipe

sideswipe

I remember those. I think O'Brien trucker's made them. Could be wrong though. It was brass and a bit to heavy to stay on the car.

ebfabman likes this.
  27. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER