Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods For those of U that have used (Lexan) ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Jan 18, 2020.

1. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I have a poly carbonate windshield in a tube frame sports car I built. The actual brand name is Makrolon and it has the scratch proof coating. Purchased from a local plastics company it was a left over piece from a full sheet they had used for another job. Easy to work with and bends without breaking unlike plexiglass. There is a product called Plexas which is a spray on cleaner which reduces chance of scratching and is actually supposed to fill in light swirls from cleaning.

2. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I don't know a lot about this but.I have a rear window in my 59 elky made from what ever the stuff they sold at Lowes. Has worked good for about 20 years setting out side. Didn't know at time i did it,one side has a UV protectant on it. Mine does get a little foggy now and then. I use Plastic Polish that is made for Clear plastic dash parts. Clears it right up. When i worked at local round track, one of the racers put in what was called "Bullet Proof" lexan windshield. A piece of lead weight came off of car, hit windshield, slid up into front/top hoop bar . Did not go through glass, but did bend the roll bar tubing.Probably saved the drivers life. I work for GE. we used to make Pans that go in fridges from Lexan. You could stand on them a jump up and down and not break them. Good stuff!!!
    I do have to ask, on the salt flat car with canopy, did you use heat to form that?

3. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

I used it for the windwings on my roadster. I rough cut it with a wood saw. I filed the edges to the final shape.
    I cleaned up the edges with sandpaper on a block of wood.
    Final polishing was with Softscrub. You can see thru the edge like it was glass.

HemiDeuce likes this.